Author Topic: Anybody running March underdrive pulleys on your FE?  (Read 3098 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
Anybody running March underdrive pulleys on your FE?
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
My pulleys are approximately 1.09 ratio.
The March High Flow pulleys are .92
The March Performance pulleys are .81

I have ran underdrive pulleys on my 460 and small blocks before with no problems.
I have .96 ratio on my 460 with no cooling problems, and my alternator charges fine at idle with two massive electric fans.
I have essentially the same fans on my 390 with the same alternator so I don't think charging would be a problem.
They are kind of pricey for what I feel the performance gain will be.
On my 69 mustang, 390, the bottom radiator hose is close to the p/s belt, so a smaller crank pulley would help there.
It's not rubbing or anything, but it's a close fit on any FE mustang.
For those who are running them, your thoughts please.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Anybody running March underdrive pulleys on your FE?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »
I run the performance March pulleys.  No overheating problems, and now the belts stay on at 7500 RPM  ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Anybody running March underdrive pulleys on your FE?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
Hawkrod has no trouble rattling off the correct part numbers to make sense of the massive confusion surrounding the front dress of an FE but, even if I were to be prepared to go through the task of re-finishing a set of pulleys after finding them, I'd be right back to stock. So I went with March.

Kim March has been very helpful to me on several occasions before they moved the company from Westland MI to Florida. And since I used an ATI damper on the engine in question, I needed pulleys to match. (ATI FE dampers are a bbc piece with an FE hub substituted. So I had to match a bbc crank pulley with the other stuff, including the crank trigger.)

I'm at the point of ALWAYS using March. I've had no trouble of any kind!

KS