Author Topic: Was running and now it isn't. Any ideas.  (Read 10343 times)

zukinut

• View Profile
Was running and now it isn't. Any ideas.
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
I dint know if postig a link to anither site is allowed but Here is a link to the original thread on the fe forum.  http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/1365864228/For+crying+out+loud+now+it+won%27t+run%2C+any+ideas

It from needing a lot of advance to backfiring etc.

Here is what I did yesterday.

Today before I did anything I pulled the vc's off and turned the engine over to see if I had a stuck valve, bad cam lobe, bent pushrods, etc. everything checked out ok. Then I tried starting it, it started but had to be "pedaled" if to much fuel was given it would die, the same with not enough. It had a small fuel leak at the primary shaft so I changed the carb to a rebuilt spare 4100, after changing both spacer gaskets. It ran about the same. Checked that distributor was in correctly at tdc. It was. It wouldn't run. It would start but wouldnt stay running on its own. I called Brent and he gave me a couple pointers. I dropped the dist in 20* advanced as he said and it lit off. I turned the dist cw and it finally stayed running. I adjusted the idle mixture screws, set the idle speed to 750 and started to check timing. It was aUt around 20 initial so I started to retard it and it died instantly. Advanced it and after several attempts got it to start. From that point on no matter what I did it would die if I did anything with the timing. Then it went back to not starting. Once it cooled down it would start with some effort. It pretty much won't start at all warm. It has not backfired since the different carb was installed. In fact,other than a slight hesitation off idle, it sounds much "stronger" than when it was running great before all this.

I' checked to see if the balancer had slipped but now don't believe that. Imade 2 reference marks on the spacer when I put the new timing chain in before I put the engine in the truck. They still line up when on compression stroke of #1.

Does anybody see anything I've missed? Could have something major happened coincidentally at the same time as the distributor change? Before all this nonsense this engine would smoothly idle as low as 500 rpm.

I can tell that this is a performance based forum, if y'all don't answer questions like these I completely understand. I also see that several people from the other forum are in here as well, I apologize for y'all having to read this again.

Thanks in advance
Will

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Was running and now it isn't. Any ideas.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
If I understood you correctly, all these problems are after a distributor change?

Is it possible you have crossed plug wires at the cap?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
Agreed!  1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

I once fixed a a 3.0L Aerostar that had just returned from a "professional" mechanic.  It barely ran, sputtering and bucking like crazy.  No diagnostic codes or other obvious things (pre- OBD-II days).  The problem turned out to be two plug wires reversed on the distributor cap.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
I didn't remove the plug wires from the cap when I did the change.  Nonetheless ive checked, rechecked and checked again. 15426378. I know that number sequence as well as my ssn.

Only reason I changed the dist was that I wanted to send mine off to get recurved.  I've since reinstalled the known good distributor.

The points condenser cap and button have all been changed from known good to New from napa.

The only weird thing that I've noticed is the excessive amount of blowby coming out of the pcv and breather.

Will

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
Sure sounds like a firing order mixup. Did you swap out any other parts? I had a bad "new" coil with semi-similar symptoms a few weeks ago that cost me a few hours head scratching.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
Jus rechecked the plug wires. It's correct. The coil is an epoxy flame thrower 2. It's about  6 months old.  The ground strap in the dist. If it was routed wrong would that cause an issue?

No other parts were changed.

Will

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
Jus rechecked the plug wires. It's correct. The coil is an epoxy flame thrower 2. It's about  6 months old.  The ground strap in the dist. If it was routed wrong would that cause an issue?

No other parts were changed.

Will

^^ That ground strap would do it indeed.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:46:48 PM »
How is it supposed to be routed? I jus routed it like I see it in the picture in the factory service manual.

Will

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
How is it supposed to be routed? I jus routed it like I see it in the picture in the factory service manual.

Will

Not so much the routing.. the grounding. As log as there is no interference and the plate moves freely you are fine. Make sure to clean up the actual grounding points so they make good contact. A poor or intermittent ground can cause the issues your are describing. Have you tried putting the "known good" old points back on? I could not tell from your earlier pose.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Yes, the known good points and condenser are back on.

I did some checking today and I have 12 volts at the coil and points, not 8 like I should have. Nothing has been tampered with so I don't know what is causing that. I also don't know if that is causing all this craziness.

Will

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
Yes, the known good points and condenser are back on.

I did some checking today and I have 12 volts at the coil and points, not 8 like I should have. Nothing has been tampered with so I don't know what is causing that. I also don't know if that is causing all this craziness.

Will

I did not read through the thread you linked, (format is kinda wonky to me). Are you running the stock wiring with a ballast resistor or resistance wire? If yes, you should be getting full battery at 12v+ at start. Then after it should kick the V's down to whatever the ballast or resistance wire specs are. Have you tried running a jumper from the battery to the coil? 

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
Wiring is factory and unmolested. It has a resistor wire built in. But it's not dropping the voltage.  Maybe theirin lies the problem?

Will

Woods

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »
May have been said in your posts somewhere but don't remember.....inspect the distributor cap for tracks across posts on the inside.  It happens with just a little amount of moisture.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »
No signs of tracks in either cap.

Will

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:58 AM »
Other things to check:

Coil wired backwards

Distributor rotor incompatible with cap

Bad Duraspark distributor, happened to me several times, the box store rebuilt ones are suspect until proven otherwise.