Author Topic: Rocker Arms - Comp 19046 or Harland Sharp S4006NBK  (Read 1535 times)

DuckRyder

• View Profile
Rocker Arms - Comp 19046 or Harland Sharp S4006NBK
« on: March 02, 2022, 12:39:12 PM »
It is a fairly mild Solid Roller *Crower 280R* and i'm having issues finding the spring rate but it think they are Crower 68385X2-16 @ 432 lbs./in.

The Comp according to a Hot Rod build have steel stands? They also look like the will fit under PBF covers? I believe the Harland sharp will also fit under PBF covers.

Robert

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Rocker Arms - Comp 19046 or Harland Sharp S4006NBK
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:42:57 PM »
I haven't used any of the newer Comp stuff, but can't go wrong with Harland Sharp

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 11:38:29 PM »
I haven't used any of the newer Comp stuff, but can't go wrong with Harland Sharp

Actually, with all due respect, you can do much better than HS. Until recently, all of Comp's rocker assemblies were made by Jim Dove. They're perfectly adequate for much of the use they'll see in a street engine. They're almost identical to the HS offerings.

But Dove also made a much more robust version. They were wider, thicker in some necessary spots, and significantly stronger. I once asked Ray Paquet, who used the HD Dove pieces, what he thought of them. He simply said, "Put 'em in and forget 'em."

And of course, by now, the Dove parts are no longer available, and several other operations have come up with premium alternatives. As I stated above, HS are good street parts.

KS

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 06:47:50 AM »
For a solid roller with under 600 lbs open pressure, I would go with Harland Sharp.  When the spring pressure gets up over 600, especially with aluminum heads, then I always feel the need to switch to a paired rocker system. 

Contrary to the post above, I don't think you can "do much better" than Harland Sharp.   Harland Sharp has two adjustable rocker systems for the FE, one with a bushed rocker, and one with a needle bearing fulcrum rocker.   The limitation is not really the rocker arm body itself, it's the way of securing the stands to the head.  Those (4) 3/8" studs will only allow for so much spring pressure. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 07:38:43 AM »

Actually, with all due respect, you can do much better than HS. Until recently, all of Comp's rocker assemblies were made by Jim Dove. They're perfectly adequate for much of the use they'll see in a street engine. They're almost identical to the HS offerings.

But Dove also made a much more robust version. They were wider, thicker in some necessary spots, and significantly stronger. I once asked Ray Paquet, who used the HD Dove pieces, what he thought of them. He simply said, "Put 'em in and forget 'em."

And of course, by now, the Dove parts are no longer available, and several other operations have come up with premium alternatives. As I stated above, HS are good street parts.

KS

Ken, I don't think we are talking used parts.  Dove isn't making rockers for Comp anymore.  Any used part will be a roll of the dice, including Doves and HS.  Additionally, given the way parts are mistreated, I am not sure I'd recommend any used set without knowing all of it's history

As far as better than HS, not a lot of options anymore, but the next one up nowadays would be T&D.  The Comps might be a great piece, but I haven't seen them go mainstream, and for a street solid roller, assuming good setup, HS bushed are a convenient and good part with service support afterwards
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
For higher spring pressures => 600+ lbs T&D race set up is a given.
For mild solid roller and hydro roller etc. Harland Sharp certainly work well.

I saw some time ago that Yella Terra (Aussies) also have a set up for Ford FE.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 07:54:19 PM »
If I was buying new, and not going for the T&D race rocker set up, I think that the POP rockers are the next best. I knew Doug when he made parts for Ford Power Parts and he has been upgrading his parts for many years now.

I have total confidence in Dougs parts. He's a good guy too.

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 07:59:08 PM »
Thanks folks.

Definitely not looking at used. In fact hoping to not have to do anything until I can go with Brent's non adjustable and a Hyd Roller.

It is important to me if i have to replace my Erson for regular valve covers to fit though.
Robert

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 09:35:44 PM »
My experience with bushed Harland Sharp rockers with 550lb open pressure was not so good. This was set up by Blair Patrick so I am sure it was done right. I had 2 rockers break before I switched to T & D's. I would also note the Harland Sharp rockers were on the intakes and I have Comp/Doves on the exhaust and none of the Comps broke even though Blair noted quite a bit of deflection. In the end Blair was right and I ended up using the T & D's like he originally wanted me to. This is with Blairs baby solid roller with .525 on the intakes. Jim
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 09:37:34 PM by Jim Comet »

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 10:45:59 PM »
My experience with bushed Harland Sharp rockers with 550lb open pressure was not so good. This was set up by Blair Patrick so I am sure it was done right. I had 2 rockers break before I switched to T & D's. I would also note the Harland Sharp rockers were on the intakes and I have Comp/Doves on the exhaust and none of the Comps broke even though Blair noted quite a bit of deflection. In the end Blair was right and I ended up using the T & D's like he originally wanted me to. This is with Blairs baby solid roller with .525 on the intakes. Jim

Not trying to muddy the waters any. Mr. Jim, IIRC those rockers were custom ratio either 1.85 or 1.87. They are not the typical 1.76 off the shelf units. I had debated those but decided not to go that route because if you look closely at the picture, the pushrod relief being even closer to the shaft bore, makes the wall thickness paper thin. I believe that is why those failed on you. Dad had the old Harland Sharp 1.76 needle bearing rockers with the larger .875" shaft and started having issues on a solid roller. Switched to the smaller .840" bushed rocker from Harland Sharp and the problems went away. Spring pressure was over 700lbs. I was planning on using them on my build with right at 700lbs spring pressure, but with the lift on the cam, I felt the slightly less lift from the Erson rockers would benefit me more with valve unshrouding. I may go back to the Harland Sharp this time with a new cam with some homemade stands, we'll see...
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 07:15:39 AM »
Jared, you are correct on the Sharps being 1.85 ratio and thin in the adjuster area. I will just say that the T&D's are 1.9 and 1.8 ratio and have performed flawlessly so far. I haven't seen a 1.76 Harland Sharp rocker so maybe there is more meat there allowing it to live up to 600lb open pressure. Jim

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 01:53:51 PM »
            2x cammerfe-ray paquet on dove HD rocker system - end stands anchor ends with custom head bolt/stud -hard to pull head bolt - the rocker arms are 1 1/8 inch wide  I  run .695 roller at 645      spring psi at  7000 rpm -no problems!!   bushings/roller bearings may limit the amount of material/strength of rocker arm -    ductile iron or stainless steel might be a better material for rocker arms if system stays attached to head OK           I will be running .761 roller at 750 spring psi at 7000/7500 with the dove HD system on hirise heads --   as oldiron I run OEM heads and OEM blocks       my street/strip 10.5 pump gas hi-riser makes 670hp on good dyno            the dove bros. had their            problems but for a time were about the only ones keeping our FEs moving    they did some work with   ray paquet and had a alumium head flow around 400cfm 10/20 years ago - the dove PIE head -I hope to see more young guys keep our FE running hard -- good luck chaseing parts 2022- john oldiron                                                                                                                                                 
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 06:14:13 PM »
I'm going be in the market for a set of rockers pretty soon.  I looked at this thread over the weekend.  I put a call into T&D this morning and the quoted price for their system wasn't bad, but the 20 week lead time is a killer.

I haven't picked the cam yet, but I'm leaning more towards a solid roller and it will probably have close to 600# over the nose.  The H&R might get the job done, but are the Comps a better product for the price ?      Street/Strip car with power to 6,800 - 7,000 (max)    Survival MR heads.