Author Topic: How much water pressure in block ahead of thermostat?  (Read 2122 times)

jmlay

• View Profile
Re: How much water pressure in block ahead of thermostat?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 07:40:22 PM »
Some fox bodies used an inline restrictor. Not sure how the fox heater hose compares to an FE. Should de easy enough to make something similar.:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/restrictor-heater-core-hose-coolant-flow-incl-installation-instructions-repro/185543?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Drestrictor%26top_parent%3D150000%26year%3D
Mike

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 01:43:07 AM »
My '60 Galaxie, was ordered new, w/o a heater (or radio). I had to install the heater, when I got it, in 1963.

As I remember, the water temp control valve, was inside the heater box, in the area of the heater core. Only heater hoses went threw the fire wall.
Frank

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 06:01:14 AM »
Yes, on '64 Galaxies, the hoses run directly from the pump/manifold to the heater core at the firewall.  I don't think there is any valving inside.  I think the heater core is hot all the time.  Just with the controls turned off, heat is (somewhat) restricted from inside the car because of the flaps being closed and the fan turned off.  In '65 or '66 they changed that.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »
[quote author=jayb link=topic=10867.msg121890#msg121890 date=1647724352
Also, I take exception to the comment that electric water pumps are not suitable for the street.  I've been running them on my race cars at Drag Week, and in my daily summer driver, for years.  In fact, the constant flow provided by the electric pump is a big advantage, in my opinion.  With an electric pump on your engine, Alan, I don't think you would ever have experienced the problem that you did.
[/quote]

Echo - no problem running an electric pump on the street and/or race.  The only "problem" I've had with electric water pumps is fabricating a proper alternator mount to route a drive belt past the pump housing. 

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 12:22:16 PM »

- no problem running an electric pump on the street and/or race.

Experience is a valuable teacher, always, but be sure to put the lessons into context.

Example: back in the '70's I had my '72 MACH I with a 351C engine that I just didn't appreciate, but still I was to cheap to just throw it away while it still ran, but couldn't wait for it to fail so as to replace it.  Finally it blew a lower radiator hose, obviously wouldn't hold water, but was still running, Just as a joke I continued to drive that thing to work thru down town and down the Interstate (6-7 miles depending on route chosen) every day to work, to lunch, the store, wherever (O.K. no really long trips but still!) and not 'pussyfooting either, for a month or more!  No one would believe me until I would open the hood where they witnessed that I had removed the radiator hoses top and bottom!  :o  Then one day I was racing this Corvette, on the Interstate on my way home from work, at maybe 120-130 M.P.H. I made it past him pulled across his bow, and wham!  The old gal dropped a valve, blew oil and coolant all over his car; my wish had finally come true!  ::)

But even though I may have had a good (relatively  ::) ) experience of not having a properly functioning cooling system, perhaps the real lesson was the resiliency of this engine to failure when subjected to such.   :-\

Scott.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 01:17:19 PM »
Yes, on '64 Galaxies, the hoses run directly from the pump/manifold to the heater core at the firewall.  I don't think there is any valving inside.  I think the heater core is hot all the time.  Just with the controls turned off, heat is (somewhat) restricted from inside the car because of the flaps being closed and the fan turned off.  In '65 or '66 they changed that.

Pat
I thought I had remembered correctly. Installing a heater, by yourself, isn't easy, at all and I tend to remember thoughts type things.

While Pat is correct on the '62 Ford, the '60 & '61's, are the same and do have a water valve, in the heater box.

I was actually surprised at the pressure generated. Alan, did you test pressure with the thermostat closed and say 3k rpm?
Frank

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »
I thought I had remembered correctly. Installing a heater, by yourself, isn't easy, at all and I tend to remember thoughts type things.

While Pat is correct on the '62 Ford, the '60 & '61's, are the same and do have a water valve, in the heater box.

Interesting!  I couldn't tell from the picture but the valve in the heater box is cable operated, to shut off water flow when the heater is turned off?

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 01:52:59 PM »
It seems to be a rocker arm that would push and pull a plug.

I never replaced the heater core or the valve, in mine. The thing that always stood out, was how hard it was to get the cable in place and tighten, that's why I remembered it.
Frank

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 02:08:50 PM »

Pat
Mine has no blend door. It uses a kind of proportional valve that is also thermostatically operated to control the amount of vacuum going to the heater control valve. Just kind of a mess when it gets 52 years old! I have balked at even hooking it up since it is highly unlikely I'll ever drive it when it's cold enough to need a heater. But, I thought it would be nice to have it all operating again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:11:13 PM by AlanCasida »