Author Topic: Ready for some dyno time  (Read 3667 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Ready for some dyno time
« on: February 14, 2022, 02:45:58 PM »

Valve covers bead blasted and matte clear coated, valves set, intake on, carb linkage adjusted, filled with oil and primed.  Just waiting on gaskets for the 660's to show up as I pulled one apart and the gaskets were ugly.  Glad I decided to do something before we found out on dyno day that they leaked like the Titanic.  You can see one sitting on the parts washer in the back.  I flat filed both sides as it was lumpy as all get out.

I did buy a fresh set of YELLOW Accel super stock 8mm wires.  I had been running a set of red Accel 8.8 wires that I won some years back.  They just didn't look right.  The new blue cap also kinda helps with the 70's vibe.  Just missing the old Accel Super Coil!

I haven't been in a big hurry to haul it to the shop because of all the snow we've had in the last month.  It is going to be 55* on Wednesday so the area in front of the garage will be cleaned up enough to get the crane out there to load the engine.  I also am in process of building a set of "Moto Feet" for it.  I have the plates made, just need to cut and weld the tubing.  I have always borrowed a set from the shop, so after 30 yrs I decided to build my own.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 02:50:03 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Sand hauler

• View Profile
Re: Ready for some dyno time
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 05:16:16 PM »
Very very nice 👍. Good luck with the results
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 08:16:29 PM »
I assume that's going in the wagon?

Looks like it's gonna haul ass.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 10:48:01 PM »
What is under the cleveland tunnel ram and Jay's adapter?
I recall you had a 496" engine previously.
I assume solid roller cam, 13:1 CR etc...

Looking fantastic!!!!!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:10:03 PM »
I thought you did this set up Larry. Are you trying something new

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 05:22:54 AM »
Yes, same 496, 12.5/1, small roller, stock TF heads.  Just wanted a tunnel ram.  It made 675 hp before with tunnel wedge on it.  Hope to pick up a few HP.
Larry

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 04:20:58 PM »
That's a beautiful piece Larry... there is NO WAY the hood will close on it as it sits. I assume the velocity stacks are for dyno time only? Good luck, Val.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 09:45:10 PM »
well good luck then Larry.
How about 23 HP.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 10:00:51 PM »
I've got a new Supercoil out here in Oregon. It's a big square thing still in the box if I remember correctly, will check tomorrow.
 Interesting trade stuff?
 My nostalgia FE has either a Grant-Spaulding or a Joe Hunt Mag. I've got both but can't decide which.
Richard >>> FERoadster
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:08:37 PM by FERoadster »

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 10:42:02 PM »
OK to make sure my mind isn't failing as much as others say, 73 years young. Decided to take a look just now. I knew exactly where it was with about 10 Mallory Accel and Pertronix distributors. It seems to be a kit still in the box. New coil, points? condenser and resistor also a short black wire. I'll get a picture tomorrow 7 AM Oregon time.
Richard

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 10:51:04 PM »
Darn you, Larry. Stealing my thunder!  ;)
That's the same setup I hope to be putting in my car this year, a tunnel ram with velocity stacks sticking through the hood. Been in the making for the last few years, but should come together finally this year. I think "the look" is absolutely unbeatable. I think you'll be pleasantly rewarded with what you're after. Good luck!

BTW, the tach drive distributor is super cool. Where did you come up with the tach from? Did you find the whole match together? They're not easy to find.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 02:11:10 AM »
Doug: looks like a polished Mallory Tach drive to me. Blue cap is a puzzle?
I do have a couple of the distributers like that but my only Tach is from a truck and maxes at 5K. LOL
I do have 2 "cough" Corvette 1960's tach's but to my understanding only Smith's from Cobra's were friendly with Fords.
Richard

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 03:06:31 AM »
Darn you, Larry. Stealing my thunder!  ;)
That's the same setup I hope to be putting in my car this year, a tunnel ram with velocity stacks sticking through the hood. Been in the making for the last few years, but should come together finally this year. I think "the look" is absolutely unbeatable. I think you'll be pleasantly rewarded with what you're after. Good luck!

BTW, the tach drive distributor is super cool. Where did you come up with the tach from? Did you find the whole match together? They're not easy to find.

Doug, Are you looking for a tach? I have two Moroso mecanical tachs somwere when i find both you can have one of them
i dont need two. Can take a while to find them ,i cleaning up after my dads collecting now so.......

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 11:59:07 AM »
Richard,  Thanks.  Not sure if I will actually go with a Super coil?  Maybe.  I run a Unilite conversion in my old YL mallory tach drive, so no points.  A mag would be sure cool to run.  But that is for another day.

I've had the tach drive Mallory in the car for decades(I bought it at Ford Expo way back).  Started with a YC model, then got the YL a few years later.  Did convert it to Unilite some years back also.  I also locked it out some time back.  I have an MSD start retard to make it easy to spin over.

The last tach drive(crab cap version) I bought for the black car came from Dan Parson's.  I needed the short version(like the wagon has).  The std tach drive(crab cap) that is used in FE boat motors is too tall for the blower(they are about 1 1/2" taller overall then the short version).  Dan just happen to have the version I needed, along with cable and tach.  I have a couple tachs on the bench I bought on Ebay.  Cables are easy to come by, I bought a custom made one for the black car from a guy in the midwest(name escapes me now).  Any length, any kind of cable, with any end, reasonable and quick turnaround.

The BLUE cap is available from Mallory.  I wanted black, but blue is better then the red one.  They offer black caps, but not for a "old" YL.  A tan one would match an Accel distributor from back then.

I have a flat hood on order from Crites(should be coming this month?).  I don't want to cut up the teardrop.  The stacks will be run on the car.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 03:01:32 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 02:26:01 PM »
I see the curtains match the carpeting, the super coil would fit into the program nicely.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner