Author Topic: New pistons were fly cut into ring landing  (Read 1953 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
New pistons were fly cut into ring landing
« on: February 13, 2022, 01:08:56 PM »
I have a set of CJ flat top forged pistons that were fly cut just barely into the back side of the top ring groove, Could that be repaired?

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: New pistons were fly cut into ring landing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 01:38:38 PM »
I would say that they are DOA. Sorry.
Frank

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 04:08:06 PM »
Did it just nick the landing or is there a hole through to the inside of the piston? if there is no hole I would de-bur it and use it. It's the outside of the ring that seals as long as the ring is free in it's landing. But that's coming from a guy that used a hand held die grinder to cut eyebrows in flat tops with just a stencil and got away with it.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 09:33:25 PM »
If I’m imagining what has happened, 2 votes for DOA. 
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 09:55:26 AM »
Gas ports in pistons connect the top of the dome to the back side of the top ring groove.  They assist in sealing by forcing combustion pressure to the top and back of the ring,  helping the ring seal against the cylinder wall.  If the cut is into the back side of the top ring groove, you might just consider it a partial gas porting job, and run them as is.  I'd be more concerned with the thickness of the dome in the flycut area, you don't want that below about 0.200".  If the pistons are thick enough there, you are probably OK as-is, if I understand the issue correctly...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 03:46:50 PM »
 I certainly hope this is on the intake relief. Jay is correct about the "gas port effect BUT you have a short term chance of them surviving. Cylinder pressure will cause the area to flex during the combustion cycle and that WILL lead to the area cracking out "in time". In a drag race only application maybe 50 runs and POOF you will begin smoking. IF by some chance it is the exhaust side DO NOT attempt to run them and NO there is NO CHANCE of repair. The heat of the exhaust will melt the area very quickly. Welding is not an option as it distorts the ring land and anneals the area resulting in failure again.

You have some ashtrays unless you are very brave.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 07:36:34 AM »
I wouldn’t touch them, yes small gas ports to allow pressure to move, but that piston moving up and down, is going to load that area. Power stroke it will try to push on the ring land and intake the other way. Never mind a little detonation raising pressures, sorry to hear it but that’s a bit of a violent location IMO
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
I will have to double check but I think it is strictly from the intake valve relief to the back side of the top ring recess. I don't think it really touched the top or bottom of the ring landing. It was not thru to under the dome. These are flat tops. I will take a closer look at the pistons and get back. They are not mine.

I see exactly what you mean by it may not really matter. The gas preassure is already hitting the top of the ring and getting behind the ring itself, which is all that small notch will allow gas to flow also. Any chance of oil some how being sucked up from below the ring on the intake stroke thru that small hole? (unlikely?)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:06 AM »
.................. you have a short term chance of them surviving. Cylinder pressure will cause the area to flex during the combustion cycle and that WILL lead to the area cracking out "in time".   

The discussion of the effect in the exposure of the ring to combustion pressure is all very interesting but, I would heed the statement above!  If one wishes a greater sum of responses from "the field" on this subject, just pose this inquiry to the 351C crowd as this has been an issue constantly recreated for decades there.    ;)

Scott.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 10:39:15 AM »
I will have to double check but I think it is strictly from the intake valve relief to the back side of the top ring recess. I don't think it really touched the top or bottom of the ring landing. It was not thru to under the dome. These are flat tops. I will take a closer look at the pistons and get back. They are not mine.

I see exactly what you mean by it may not really matter. The gas preassure is already hitting the top of the ring and getting behind the ring itself, which is all that small notch will allow gas to flow also. Any chance of oil some how being sucked up from below the ring on the intake stroke thru that small hole? (unlikely?)

I GUARANTEE the piston will  fail , it is only a matter of when.  When vertical gas ports are drilled ( .043 hole) into the top of the piston , careful attention is paid to AVOID putting a hole in either of the two valve relief areas to prevent breakage. This is not a guess , this is from 30+ years in the piston industry and experience with the subject.
     Randy

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 07:48:24 AM »
+1 on Randy's comments.
They will fail.
Been there.  Done that.
Nitrous will encourage quicker failure if applied....

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
OK, well these were done years ago and that is why they are still in the boxes not used...they still look so pretty though.
 Thank you for the experienced incite.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 12:23:23 PM »
Are they standard bore or oversize? Do you have the pins and rings ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.