Author Topic: Ford 302 Tunnel Port Flow Numbers  (Read 4433 times)

Joey120373

• View Profile
Re: Ford 302 Tunnel Port Flow Numbers
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »
Would love to see more pics of those heads.

Pretty sure I remember seeing advertisements for those heads way back when I was in high school, old grainy black and white adds at the back of the magazine.

That was back when I knew everything of course, and the only engines I cared about were the 350 SBC ( cause it was something I could at least sort of afford to dream about building…. ) and the FE 427 and whatever head I could dream about putting on it if I were to win the lottery…
So to me the Windsor tunnel port was cute but it wasn’t a “real” tunnel port, so at the time I just wrote it off as a gimmick. These days I wish I had paid more attention to all the different oddball stuff.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2022, 08:46:51 AM »
I have run a few Weber/Weber lookalike EFI deals on engines.  I love the way they look and they put out some pretty impressive dyno numbers on most street oriented stuff.  At the same time I absolutely HATE the way they act on the street.  I have personally struggled with at least 3 or 4 installations that seemed perfectly fine on dyno but would not run worth a damn once installed.  You would get them to idle and WOT great, but they'd do all sorts of goofy stuff in transition and part throttle - surging, stuttering and farting at seemingly random throttle positions and loads.  After a couple days of tinkering and tuning you'd get it nearly perfect - and the next day it was back to being stupid again.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2022, 11:57:53 AM »
........... they'd do all sorts of goofy stuff in transition and part throttle

Yep, that's typical!   ::)

Scott.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2022, 07:34:44 AM »
playing catchup here, I just watched your video on these heads, those are not what i remember seeing advertised as a young man. The  add, as i remember it, said something like " The iconic Tunnel port is back! " and the grainy pic looked like a conventional Windsor port with a rather large pushrod tube going through it. But memory is a strange thing, and i don't really trust that one.

That round port sure looks big , but the throat looks rather small. I think your plan of filling the floor to get a better short turn might do a lot of good. The exhaust port on that head sure looked good compared to most factory units.

Neat build for sure.