Author Topic: Intake gasket for tunnel ram on Jay adapter.  (Read 1556 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Intake gasket for tunnel ram on Jay adapter.
« on: February 03, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »
What is everyone using for a gasket for the tunnel ran on Jay's adapter?  The only thing I've found so far is an SCE gasket that is for a 4bbl port which is too large and will allow a vacuum leak.

My local shop had Cometic make up custom gaskets for their last built with this set up, but the customer only ordered 2 and took them and apparently the wait is 6-8 weeks for more. 

I'll cut my own if it comes to it, but figured I'd ask if anyone else found something that works.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 07:13:30 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

RicMc

• View Profile
Re: Intake gasket for tunnel ram on Jay adapter.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 08:32:04 AM »
Hey Larry, we had all kinds of problems with port match and seal of the single four speedmaster with Jay's adaptor we tried five different gaskets with issues on all of them. We ended up making our own and getting a different single four intake.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »
I use a Mr. Gasket 351C 4V gasket.  No issues.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 12:16:22 PM »
Here's what is readily available for the 4V port sizes.  Unless Jays adapter gets close to the "3V' style ports which are the right most 3 gasket sets.  I have had the best luck - no problems - with the Mr Gasket Ultra Seal parts even with "3V" sized ports and intakes.  But for sure on a regular 4V sized port.

Mr. G Ultras, the Cometic IGCOM3V225-060 I got from CHI, .060 thick Speedmaster PCE349.1027 and .120 thick Speedmaster PCE349.1024
When I get around to putting the Funnelweb on the car, I'll see how the Speedmaster stuff looks as to fit.

The price L to R - $38.15, $80.00, $11.10, $18.50

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:19:49 PM by Falcon67 »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 12:22:18 PM »
In the instructions for the FE Power #13001 intake adapter Jay mentions the basic Mr. Gasket #214 351C gasket is the one he used in testing. Looks like they are in stock at Summit.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 12:23:21 PM »
Mr. Gasket 214.   

I have them.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 12:38:25 PM »
I used the 214 and had to trim the ends. The holes for the Clev manifold bolts are large and you'll need to use grease to center it best and keep it there.

The fit doesn't look ideal where the gasket goes over one of the FE manifold bolts but, I don't think it will leak. You could put a small, shortened cork, over that one and use some silicone.

I'll take a picture, later today.
Frank

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 12:50:37 PM »
I wonder if Jay could machine a groove into the adapter and fit it for silicone O-ring seals?  Yes.  It would be another machining operation, but it would just about obsolete the fiber gasket issue.  I don't know if porting could be accommodated with such a proposition.  It may rule out the O-ring.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 01:27:44 PM »
In the instructions for the FE Power #13001 intake adapter Jay mentions the basic Mr. Gasket #214 351C gasket is the one he used in testing. Looks like they are in stock at Summit.

Huh?    instruc....what?  WTH, who reads those??    ::)  Remember I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed some(most) days.  Doh.

Thanks all for the input.  I contacted the fellow with the extra cometic and he will let me buy it until I can order some in.  Will the $10 gasket work?  Probably just as good.
Larry

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 05:23:46 PM »
My manifold is a earlier one, #6 I believe.

Here are the fitment issues with it:

1. You have to trim the ends to fit at the front, for the water cross over. I trimmed them to match both sides.
2. You have to have the gasket up to the bolts and stud, as far as possible and forward as possible, for the best fit. The holes are large and the reason I will grease them well, before carefully setting the manifold in place.

Note the arrows, this is where the gasket has the thinnest metal contact. The front hole only gives you about 1/16 at the c'sink, for the FE bolt hole. It shouldn't cause a leak though, because there is plenty of contact outside of that area and the hole, itself shouldn't leak. This is the area that I said you could put a cork in and silicone, to keep the vacuum from pulling on the gasket. The arrow at the rear, shows how that area is a little thin but, it shouldn't be a problem if, the gasket is positioned as I said.
Frank

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 01:32:34 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why I bother with the directions  ;D  The Edelbrock 7265 is also listed in the instructions, and has a slightly smaller port opening than the Mr. Gasket 214.  Either one will work fine, although certainly some minor trimming may be necessary...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 04:48:02 PM »
See now if you had a picture of girl holding a gasket set I'd have definitely noticed and looked for details...... ;D 
Yes, cutting is required to get rid of the water jacket sealing portions on the ends of the gaskets.  Easy-peasy.

I got my cometic gasket set yesterday and we're one step closer.  My biggest problem now is trying to get the 24" of snow out from in front of my garage so I can get the motor loaded?  Might be a couple weeks since we got a couple inches of rain before the snow last Thursday so everything is rock solid.

I also need to go through the two 660's and make sure they are ready for dyno use.  Can't recall what I've done to them since my buddy gave them to me years ago?  Don't want to get on the dyno and have them puking fuel.  I don't have anything available to put them on and run since it's winter and everything is packed away.

Larry

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 07:22:11 PM »
Larry, can you give us the port dimensions of your Cometic gaskets so, we can compare it to the 214's, 2.88 x 1.83?
Frank

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 02:14:16 PM »
I'll have to wait for the extra one to show up.  I got it bolted together now.  I'll say it wasn't perfect, but close enough.

Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 02:19:32 PM »
Go with the Mr G units for sure - the Speedmaster units in my application are non-starters.  Expectations were low anyhow, now confirmed LOL - 3V style on filled 351C ports