Author Topic: Gasoline proof sealant  (Read 1059 times)

djburton

• View Profile
Gasoline proof sealant
« on: January 30, 2022, 10:04:28 AM »
The problem...Have two halves of a cast aluminum fuel tank held together by screws. The original sealant was a hard drying semi clear stuff that was also very effective adhesive. Any ideas??

SReist

• View Profile
Re: Gasoline proof sealant
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 01:10:11 PM »
Not sure if these are gasoline proof. Might look at Permatex products #85420 and #85249. They are Hylomar based and I have used them with decent results. Steve

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »
I have used a clear, hard drying sealer in the past, to repair a leaking factory gas tank. The product is called "Seal All", and it comes in a small squeeze tube, similar to model airplane glue. I have not bought any in several years, but the package and tube were yellow in color, and I bought it from local auto parts stores, usually with the other glues, adhesives, and RTVs.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 06:07:35 PM »
3Bond 1211 used for sealing 2 stroke crank cases will withstand direct contact with gas, alcohol and diesel. I also used it on a 2 stroke on fuel and even though it's not approved for it, the nitro didn't seem to both it any. At least not for the duration between tear downs anyway. It's pretty good stuff but it's fairly expensive.

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 09:13:07 AM »
Thanks guys! Looks like any of these will work. I guess it depends on what's available locally.The surface to be sealed is a machined flanged tongue and groove deal with a lot of screws so I should be OK.

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 08:34:59 AM »
3Bond 1211 used for sealing 2 stroke crank cases will withstand direct contact with gas, alcohol and diesel. I also used it on a 2 stroke on fuel and even though it's not approved for it, the nitro didn't seem to both it any. At least not for the duration between tear downs anyway. It's pretty good stuff but it's fairly expensive.
2 stroke on nitro?? I want to know more! My guess is snow machine but maybe boat, Kart,chainsaw???

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 10:38:43 AM »
Aircraft fuel tank sealant, spendy but bulletproof.
PR-1422

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 05:19:57 PM »
2 stroke on nitro?? I want to know more! My guess is snow machine but maybe boat, Kart,chainsaw???

Started off with a stroker Honda 250r, then billet stroker, then on to a Yamaha Banshee and the last version of that was a Mattoon Machine billet case stroker. Mostly sand drag racing. All of those have been retired and tuned for either pump gas or race gas as in my "old" age I just want to be out of town and enjoying the time. Plus, all the guys I raced with have moved, died, etc. and it's more than I wanted to do keeping up on all of it myself.

I also did shifter kart's for a while, but none of those were on fuel, those were mostly pump gas stuff with a couple race gas tuneups along the way.

Either of them are a LOT less than I spent racing any kind of car and took up a lot less room in the garage.

I have done up a few 2 stroke outboards just for fun, I never raced them. Old Mercury tower of power's are pretty cool old outboards. The little bit of boat racing I was involved in was either gas V8 or Allison/Merlin powered.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 05:21:59 PM by RustyCrankshaft »

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »
Permatex anaerobic flange sealer works if the gap isn’t too large. Impervious to most anything.  Essentially just thick red loctite.  I keep a tube and use it for thread sealer / locker.  Doesn’t run out of the tube in the toolbox like regular threadlocker does. I’ve used it on motorcycle engine cases before with any problem