Author Topic: Hooker 6130 header fitment  (Read 1135 times)

Cord

• View Profile
Hooker 6130 header fitment
« on: January 24, 2022, 01:13:27 PM »
I'm just about to pull the trigger on some Hooker 6130's.  These are full length headers for the 65+ full size Fords (aka Galaxie).  From my research, these are the best option for a full length header because they don't have the ground clearance issues that other brands suffer from.  That said, someday I'd like to get rack and pinion steering.  Does anybody know if there is enough clearance behind the cross member with these headers for a rack setup?  Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

ps.  Anybody try using a GM A body exhaust on the Gals?  Nobody makes a decent system for these cars. 

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Hooker 6130 header fitment
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »
Cord, have you looked at / talked to Waldron's exhaust in Ohio?  They make kits for many old cars and will do custom larger diameters of their standard kits.  I bought an H-Pipe from them and it was accurate and good quality.  Or you could find a muffler shop that does custom work.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Fpcopo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »
Waldron will only make stock size systems. I checked as I wanted a 2-1/2” headpipes and no dice.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 09:52:32 PM »
We used an A body kit on a 1965 galaxie with a 460. Some cuts, some welds , but it wasn't that bad, I believe we got the kit from Pypes

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »
We have a set of Mad Dog Headers for the '65 Galaxie. I just looked at their website and they don't list them, but I know they make them because we have some. Might want to give them a call.

As far as rack and pinion steering goes, I have no idea.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »
I called mad dog recently and they said that they are only doing the truck headers currently. No car headers being made   Said they were swamped and due to covid, they weren’t able to keep enough materials and manpower in hand to do everything.  They said that they still have the fab jigs but not making anything but truck stuff. If you have any other luck with them , let me know

Henrysnephew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 09:56:04 PM »
I have Flowmaster 2-1/2" A body tailpipes on my '66 and they were an exact bolt-on.  Even my OE (dual exhaust) hangers worked after slightly elongating the muffler hangers to accommodate the 2-1/2" clamp.  I did have to add an extension to the back of each one, as the Gal has much more real estate behind the rear axle than does an A body GM.  Randy M