Author Topic: Jerico Dance  (Read 1255 times)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Jerico Dance
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:06:21 AM »
A couple years back I decided to move away from toploaders as a means to get my Fairlane down the track quicker. To me that meant either a G Force or Jerico was the next logical step. Ended up having a gentleman from TN build me a top and bottom loader Jerico box with a. 3.19 low gear. I loved trans at the track but on the street I could not easily shift into fourth. It would go but I would have to bang it like I was at the track. This was a little disappointing because on the street the trans would pull into second or push into third without the same drama. Techniques tried on fourth, double clutching, rev and drop rpms but it would grind unless it was banged in.

Along the way I had the opportunity to buy a low mileage DR4-4 box with a 3.08 low for a very good price. The box was ordered originally for a SBF so it had the longer, 26 spline input shaft. My clutch is a Ram with a 10 spline disc. I thought I might swap discs but decided to keep everything here to work with the 10 spline. Also, the additional length of the splines on the small block input can get close to the disc in a big block environment. That meant shopping time for a big block 1-3/8 x 10 input. I picked up a few but they were not Revision 4 friendly. In the end I bought one from Jerico, ( might be the last one Scott had).

With helpful advice from Bob Treadway I was able to swap input shafts without complete disassembly of transmission. It’s tricky but can be done. The mainshaft and cluster were not moved. That is really the point of this post, to let others know the swap is manageable.
Also want to give some props to Rory McNeil for invaluable advice along the way.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:10:03 PM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
Re: Jerico Dance
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 06:24:07 AM »
They aren't too bad of a trans to work on. A GOOD snap ring pliers is worth it's weight in gold. Just sold my Jerico DR4. Putting a Liberty Equalizer in the car.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »
Has anyone ran a Hightower 4 speed?
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 03:33:57 PM »
They aren't too bad of a trans to work on. A GOOD snap ring pliers is worth it's weight in gold. Just sold my Jerico DR4. Putting a Liberty Equalizer in the car.

How long did you have to wait on your Liberty? What clutch can are you using?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 07:45:42 PM »
is it going to be LibertyGTX now ?

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 09:29:52 PM »

How long did you have to wait on your Liberty? What clutch can are you using?

16 weeks and counting...

I have a McLeod SoftLok for the car, but might sell that and buy a Defiant from Black Magic.