Author Topic: -30 and boored  (Read 1487 times)

Heo

• View Profile
-30 and boored
« on: January 10, 2022, 05:06:34 PM »
Staying inside, and getting boored so i share some pics

Northern light

Our towns medieval church, first writen acount from 1472 but older than that... It gets you thinking who built this 500+ years ago and it still stands
while modern buildings colaps when we get snow ???

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: -30 and boored
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 05:18:19 PM »
Always have been amazed at these very old structures, and how they were constructed so long ago. No big hydraulic cranes, to lift the materials, especially when considering when heavy stone or brick was used. Here on the East coast of Canada, the cities and towns are considerably older than they are on the West coast, where I lived most of my life, plenty of lighthouses and buildings well over 200 years old, yet so many building and houses built in the past 50-75 years get torn down, to have new buildings constructed in their place.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
My house is probably 300 plus years old. Fasinating to se and think those axe marks have
some of my ansestors made  a looooong time ago. The trees its made out of started to grow
around when Columbus thoght a boat trip to the west was a good idea

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 10:20:09 PM »
You always have cool stories Heo or your bored and like making up stories. Just kidding a 500 year old church is awesome like Rory said those people really had their work cut out for themselves. Using primative tools also. So you live in a log cabin that would be cool to see take some pics for us.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 11:31:21 PM »
The roof on that church says 'Snow Country' to me. Although I live in Metro Detroit now, I spent nine years as a kid living in the Cascade Mountains in Washington State. I've seen snow ;)

KS

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 12:27:44 AM »
Wow, absolutely beautiful northern lights display! I've only seen them once in my life, and it was nowhere near that brilliant.

I also love very old constructed buildings. Construction quality like that just doesn't exist anymore, even when it's purposely tried. For one thing, old growth trees just don't exist anymore, and modern hardwoods are not the same. My house is too old for local records, but based on foundation and construction technique, it's 120-130 years old. Things changed quickly back then, so it's fairly easy to pin down a time frame for construction. 14" hand hewn beams are the houses base. I have quite a few pictures of it dating back to the 1930's. My grandfather added 3 additions back in the '40s though, although it's still small....but you know that, Heo, having been here. With a 12/12 pitch, snow isn't really a problem. Roofing it was though, and it about killed me. Last roof I will ever do!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:30:45 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »
So you live in a log cabin that would be cool to see take some pics for us.

Yes, and of the drunk housewife bar too!  :)

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
No idea if the building methods were the same in the USA and Europe during the same time period, but here in Nova Scotia Canada, many of the older houses were built before concrete became a common material for house foundations, so large rocks, stones were used. My neighbor has a small excavator/ dump truck business, and he does a lot of rock walls and landscaping with large rocks that he obtains when he occasionally knocks down some old house or building. Not sure when a concrete slab or foundation became the common method.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 09:41:58 AM »
Wow, beautiful pictures.  Thanks for sharing. 

I've never seen the Northern Lights.  On my bucket list though.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Heo

• View Profile
Re: -30 and bored
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 01:42:09 PM »
Yes the base is a hand hewn log house, but it is moved and rebuilt manytimes during the centurys
Here you can se the logs, painted with chaulk.

Im installing new windows and install better insulation and new outer panel
1x9 inch slowgrown pine from our own forrest. We are the only ones around here that have forrest left
to make such panel
Im going for new inner walls also in the living room

Here is two layers of old wallpaper from the 18 hundreds, my goal is to rebuild it to late 18 early 19 hundreds style

The northernlight pics can not capture the reality in brightnes and its constantly moving around. This year is said to be really good for
northern lights beacuse of unusualy powerfull solar storms

The building of stonehouses here was done with lime masonry before cement was used
The foundation to my hose is stones that are cut square about a feet X feet X 5feet
I think concrete slab was beginned to used 20-30s but got comon after ww2 around here

Hard to get some pics of my log house but  here is one of my dads garage/baking house
built in the traditional way out of hand hewed logs hand forged hinges and lock on the door
that have hand splited and planed boards. Everything made by him by hand in the 70,s
I can get more pics of that if someone is interested

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 10:30:59 PM »
I'd be happy to see any construction pictures you care to post. Some of my family in Northern Michigan have houses of that sort.

KS

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »
Awesome stuff Heo!  I also like the hand hewn Packard fenders on the porch  ;D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 03:08:54 AM »
No idea if the building methods were the same in the USA and Europe during the same time period, but here in Nova Scotia Canada, many of the older houses were built before concrete became a common material for house foundations, so large rocks, stones were used. My neighbor has a small excavator/ dump truck business, and he does a lot of rock walls and landscaping with large rocks that he obtains when he occasionally knocks down some old house or building. Not sure when a concrete slab or foundation became the common method.

Around the turn of the 20th century, when my house was built, they started using a combination of large field stone and an early concrete mix to hold them together, built on short knee-walls on top of dirt, as a foundation. When I drilled 3 holes through the foundation to run water, gas and electric to my new garage, I had to drill through concrete and granite stone. It took me a full day to drill each hole. I could only drill to the depth of the bit, then chisel the stone out, then drill again, then chisel...etc etc. By the time I was done using the impact drill, my chest hurt so bad it was hard to breathe. It's still solid after 120+ years though.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe