Author Topic: Plug and play Distributors  (Read 5674 times)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Plug and play Distributors
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:45 AM »
Have been reading the post below with interest but didn't want to hijack the thread.

I currently run an old Mallory YL twin point with a Crane XR3000 electronic conversion. This works great for my application and I have had zero issues in over 10 years.

However I really would like vacuum advance to take advantage of the extra milage and throttle response, it is a street car. So I am looking at the Pertronix unit and the MSD.

The fact that the two also have rev limiters is an added advantage. I am leaning toward the MSD purely from a brand name perspective in getting parts into the future and being able to add a 'box' should I need to step it up in the futuer.

Are there any opinions on these two?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D7133700/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8595/

PS. Did Mallory twin points ever come with vacuum advance?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:06:13 AM by 66FAIRLANE »

Kerry j

• View Profile
Re: Plug and play Distributors
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
I looked at both MSD and Pertronix and I can't see any big advantage one would have over another. The Pertronix costs less and looks more like the stock Ford distributor; black cap and female connector ends on the cap. So I went with the Pertronix.

As to running a CD box, you can do so with either dizzy, but if you're going to run a AL6 or some other box that has a rev limiter, you don't need the Pertronix III, may as well save a few bucks and get the Pertronix II. The main difference between the III & II is that the III has a built in rev limiter; no need of two rev limiters.

As for the vacuum advance Mallory; I have a new in the box Unilite vacuum advance duel point distributor sitting on the shelf. So I know they made them at some point, don't know if they still do or not.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:49:17 PM »
Mallory has had 'vacuum' distributors available in various forms for many years. The first one I had was for a flathead.

KS

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:51:59 AM »
If I could find a Mallory YL twin point with a vacuum can I would probably just use that with my guts. As I said it works quite well now. Finding one for an FE here in OZ will be bordering on impossible.

427fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:14:47 AM »
You would be very suprised what is here in oz fe wise, there are quite a few hard core fe guys here with very big stashes. I know 2 guys that have 7 cammers between them plus LOTS of other goodies.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
But the hard part is getting them to separate with any of their goodies. ;)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
You would be very suprised what is here in oz fe wise, there are quite a few hard core fe guys here with very big stashes. I know 2 guys that have 7 cammers between them plus LOTS of other goodies.

Well, if you can find me one I am all ears.   :-*