Author Topic: Tire question  (Read 2365 times)

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Tire question
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 02:06:58 AM »
I sounds like another good reason to stick with FE's and avoid the newfangled stuff. I was speaking wih a guy who crashed his new Chevy... or it crashed itself for him. Going across the bridge there is a utility trailer with a tarp flapping slowing ahead of him. He changes lanes and the tarp comes off and flies across in front of him and over the railing into the river... his truck automatically nails the brakes hard sending his Tim Horton's coffee first all over the dash then all over him when he gets rear ended by a gravel truck. Not really the fault of the gravel truck driver and the insurance company is still working on who to ding for the eighty grand "worth" of pickup truck.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Tire question
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 07:49:48 AM »
Related 21st century problem tire story - friend was a master Ford mechanic at a local Lincoln dealer (since retired).  They had a Lincoln come in with an intermittent problem.  At some speed, the car would start trying to shut it's self down, started acting really weird.  A test drive confirmed the issue.  After a few phone calls to Ford and some head scratching they finally figured out that one of the rear tires was a little different.  The owner had lost a tire on a recent trip and had to buy what was available.  The slightly smaller tire diameter at some forward speed - around 65 or so IIRC - set off the traction control system, tricking it into thinking the car was in a skid so it started applying the brakes to slow and control the "skid".

Great story Chris.

I've been told that one should replace all 4 tires at once with all-wheel drive cars, like my '18 Audi S5 turbo car for the same reasons: mismatched O.D.'s.

Seems with fast cars and guys that burn up the rears (mainly RWD versions) the sensors can be tricked since the new ones in the rear have a bigger O.D. than the older fronts. Same goes for running a mini-spare for any distance where the mini is a lot shorter than the other 3 tires.
Bob Maag