FE Power Forums > FE Technical Forum

Dumb Question BBM block

(1/3) > >>

ROBSREDFORD:
Will stock engine mounts work on BBM block? Does the side oiler feature effect engine mounts?  1976 F100 is what I’m working with… thanks in advance

blykins:
I have not ran into any issues with motor mounts and BBM blocks.

thatdarncat:

--- Quote from: ROBSREDFORD on October 17, 2021, 10:07:40 PM ---Will stock engine mounts work on BBM block? Does the side oiler feature effect engine mounts?  1976 F100 is what I’m working with… thanks in advance

--- End quote ---

Original Ford 427 Side Oiler blocks have the lower drivers side motor mount bolt hole in a slightly higher position, to clear the side oil galley, compared to all other ‘65 & later FE blocks with the 4 motor mount bolt holes per side. It’s just that one hole. Cars that originally had a 427 Side Oiler option had a unique drivers side motor mount, where they bolt to the block, to match that one raised hole. Original ‘65 -‘68 427 motor mounts for those vehicles are very rare, most people now usually just do something like slot that one hole in the mount, and sometimes you will need to clearance the bottom of the drivers side mount to clear the side oil passage hump on the block. The passenger side on an original Ford 427 Side Oiler block has the same bolt hole pattern as other ‘65 & later FE blocks.

Since Ford pickups never had a factory 427 production option there was never a unique original production 427 motor mount offered, so to put a 427 Side Oiler block in a pickup will require modifying a drivers side motor mount in any case, for that one bolt hole, and possibly the side oil galley hump. 

My assumption would be the BBM block has the same motor mount bolt hole arraignment as the factory Ford 427 Side Oiler block, but maybe others can confirm.

Jb427:
Left side mount is not the same and is unique to the side oiler they are like thatdarncat said one thing i will add on my bbm block the screw in freeze plugs stuck out not quite an 1/8" and i had to take even more out of the shaped engine side plate as i didn't want to grind the plugs. My engine is in a 66 fairlane i got engine mounts from "Black Eagle Racing" you could try them see if he can help they are tricky to find on the web but worth a phone call to see. here is a pic of just how much the bottom hole is moved you can just see it in the lower bolt hole. Good Luck.

TJ:
I got 427 mounts from Summit racing for my BBM.  Tried them on either side, all orientations, and still had to do some surgery on the mounts to get them to line up and also clear the oil galley. Seems like I still got only two of the three bolts on one side.  Was wondering if they'd line up with the supports in my '65 F250, but they lined up perfectly and the engine ain't fell out yet...6 years and 20,000+ miles.

Figured it was something wrong with me.  Glad to know I wasn't crazy.

Everything else on the BBM fit perfectly where a 352 and then a 390 came out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version