Author Topic: Hot Rod Drag Week 2021 kicks off today  (Read 5106 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Hot Rod Drag Week 2021 kicks off today
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »
Our members Hemi Joel & JericoGTX Jeff are back this year with Joel’s Hemi powered ‘31 Plymouth Coupe. And I believe our member Scott Miller is there with his FE Powered Cougar. Any one else? It’s starting and ending at U.S. 131 Motorsports Park this year. Here’s a link to the live feed just getting under way:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5Zae6fs6c
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2021 kicks off today
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:14:39 AM »
10.15 first pass for Joel just now.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »
Scott Miller makes his first pass

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
Scott Miller makes his first pass

It just rolled off the line like it was at idle before it picked up and took off. Ran a 9.90, which is about .7 off his usual average. They've had trans brake issues in the past so I'm wondering if that was the problem here, as the speed was 144, with a really lazy start. Hopefully they get that sorted out. I know in the past, Scott resorted to just foot braking because they couldn't get the trans brake sorted out.

Not sure if he's run again, or if he will. I'm guessing he did/will.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »
Good to see this. I'm digging that FE powered Cougar!  8)
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
Scott's second run did not go well at all, blowing the tires off all the way through 1st gear. He definitely foot braked on that run, so I think he is still having trans brake issues. I don't think he had time for another run at that point, so that will really hurt any chances he had for a third win in his class.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 12:58:40 AM »
Probably not many people paying attention, but today's races really seemed to be a @#!$show to me. LS's blowing up about every hour (seems to be a trend lately), oil downs stopping racing about every hour, sometimes for 30-45 minutes. Idiots blowing up their engines, then proceeding to travel at a leisurely pace down the entire track....spreading oil....down the entire track (seriously, some of these guys are experienced racers, and they aren't smart enough to pull over??). They finally just shut down the right lane for the last hour and just ran the left, because of a major oil down.

Next year they will probably require diapers, all because of idiots using power adders on cheap LS engines, and the drivers not being smart enough to pull over. I think LS is just an abbreviation for Le Stupido.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 08:31:49 AM »
Great looking and performing Cougar.
Had no idea he had class wins at Drag Week.
Huge thumbs up!

Does Scott build his own FE engine? Drag week builds are typically very difficult to build - certainly for N/A non-turbo power.

Good luck to him the rest of the week!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 08:33:00 AM »
Damn sorry to hear about Scott’s second pass. He was a the reunion last year and if I remember correctly I think he ran a 9.43 or 9.34 so yeah a 9.90 isn’t good for him. It’s a long week ya never know what can happen, you know you been there Doug.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
Great looking and performing Cougar.
Had no idea he had class wins at Drag Week.
Huge thumbs up!

Does Scott build his own FE engine? Drag week builds are typically very difficult to build - certainly for N/A non-turbo power.

Blair Patrick built the engine for Scott's Cougar.

I took the day off and rode up to Norwalk to watch the races today. Just as I walked in and got to the line of cars in the staging lanes, I saw Scott's Cougar parked up against the fence. I walked over just in time to help them push it back to the Holley tent. The car just shut off on them. Turns out they switched to a dual Holley Sniper FI system this year and it just quit on them. The Holley guys had to clear the system and basically re-boot it.

The FI system is what caused his bog off the line yesterday, it was not a trans brake issue (hes been foot braking), and it did it again today. He made one pass after getting it going, and it bogged off the line again, then took off to a 9.8? run. They called it good after that and hit the road. Scott can re-boot the system on the road if he needs to, so they shouldn't have issues with that. It's a shame, because otherwise he'd be running in the low 9's like he usually does....if not quicker. I asked about the change to FI and Scott said that it picked up just a bit on peak HP, but that it gained a bunch under the curve.

Joe, yeah, anything can happen, but the current leaders in his class ran 8.99, 9.0 and a 9.1 yesterday, so he would have had his hands full even if the car were working properly. But if he got it sorted out, and the 3 leaders break, he could still have a chance. The rest of the field is running slower than what he can run. You never can tell at Drag Week  8)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
Probably not many people paying attention, but today's races really seemed to be a @#!$show to me. LS's blowing up about every hour (seems to be a trend lately), oil downs stopping racing about every hour, sometimes for 30-45 minutes. Idiots blowing up their engines, then proceeding to travel at a leisurely pace down the entire track....spreading oil....down the entire track (seriously, some of these guys are experienced racers, and they aren't smart enough to pull over??). They finally just shut down the right lane for the last hour and just ran the left, because of a major oil down.

Next year they will probably require diapers, all because of idiots using power adders on cheap LS engines, and the drivers not being smart enough to pull over. I think LS is just an abbreviation for Le Stupido.

I haven't got to see much of today's coverage but that is how it was yesterday. I counted 5 oil downs...all Chebbies and yes at least one guy coasted  the whole length of the track. I read on the DW FB page where one guy was replacing his LS in the pits with another junk yard motor referring to it as another "hand grenade". A lot of folks leaving ahead of the lights too so no time registered. Also on yesterday a friend of mine waited in the lanes all day until 3:00 to get one pass in and during that time I saw several racers making two passes and at least one made three passes. So, lane management was not real consistent.
One advantage of running RMRW where they race in the afternoon/evening is if you are waiting on multiple oil downs you don't have a 6 hour waiting, youv'e already done that.
OOPS! I just saw the time stamp on your post and I guess we were both talking about Day 1.  8)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:28:47 PM by AlanCasida »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »
While browsing through the cars, I came across what I think is the coolest car there, at least from a Ford point of view.
I saw this car yesterday but didn't know what he was running. Today I found out he's got a Kaase 547 Boss engine. He's running in Ultimate Iron, which typically has some really fast cars. He's in 2nd place, but the first place car is running 1.8 seconds quicker. Still, he's running 8.80's at over 150. I started to comment on it being Ford powered and before I got done his response was "Yeah, it ain't no damn LS engine"..lol  ;D

Beautiful car, with a seldom seen DW engine.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
I haven't got to see much of today's coverage but that is how it was yesterday. I counted 5 oil downs...all Chebbies and yes at least one guy coasted  the whole length of the track. I read on the DW FB page where one guy was replacing his LS in the pits with another junk yard motor referring to it as another "hand grenade". A lot of folks leaving ahead of the lights too so no time registered. Also on yesterday a friend of mine waited in the lanes all day until 3:00 to get one pass in and during that time I saw several racers making two passes and at least one made three passes. So, lane management was not real consistent.
One advantage of running RMRW where they race in the afternoon/evening is if you are waiting on multiple oil downs you don't have a 6 hour waiting, youv'e already done that.
OOPS! I just saw the time stamp on your post and I guess we were both talking about Day 1.  8)

Alan, it's already been a weird DW this year. I saw multiple cars red-light today. Even a double red-light??!! I'm not even sure how that happens when reaction time means nothing. Guys in Street Machine Eliminator will run against their dial-ins at the end of the week, so some of them try to cut a good light for practice, but that was not the case for some of these cars.

And yes, I saw Scott sit in his lane for over 1 1/2 hours yesterday. I'm not sure what was going on there, but it wasn't just Street Machine Eliminator that held it up (they have a bunch of cars as usual).

As far as the engine change, the rules state you have to finish with the engine you started with, so I'm guessing he's out of competition and just trying to make it through the week....and will probably oil the track down later this week  ::)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:46 PM »

Alan, it's already been a weird DW this year. I saw multiple cars red-light today. Even a double red-light??!! I'm not even sure how that happens when reaction time means nothing. Guys in Street Machine Eliminator will run against their dial-ins at the end of the week, so some of them try to cut a good light for practice, but that was not the case for some of these cars.

And yes, I saw Scott sit in his lane for over 1 1/2 hours yesterday. I'm not sure what was going on there, but it wasn't just Street Machine Eliminator that held it up (they have a bunch of cars as usual).

As far as the engine change, the rules state you have to finish with the engine you started with, so I'm guessing he's out of competition and just trying to make it through the week....and will probably oil the track down later this week  ::)

Actually I think you can swap motors out if you blow up the one in your car. I looked at the rules and I think it allows for that...maybe.
Here it is what it says:  "•Swapping engines so that one is used for the dragstrip and another for the on-road drives is not allowed. One
long-block is to be used for the entire competition, barring the need for impromptu repairs."

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
I’ve watched most of the live feed yesterday & today, missed a little bit here & there. Thanks for the engine report on the blue Cougar, that’s cool and it’s really flying. A few other neat Fords too, sometimes Freiburger announces the engine combo’s, but not always, and you can’t assume they all actually are Ford powered. I’ve seen a nice looking ‘63 Galaxie there the last couple days too.

Yes, a plethora of oil downs & breakage Monday, although I’ve seen that in past Monday’s too. I follow some of the lead up to these events on Facebook, it’s still the norm that a lot of the people doing these Drag & Drive events are still putting their cars together at the last minute, often without any on the road or dragstrip testing before the event, so some carnage isn’t unexpected. But on the flip side lots of people who are veterans that are really getting their program down too. And the performance of these cars just keeps getting quicker all the time too. And still quite a few participants each year who have never made any dragstrip pass before. I mean that’s a good thing that there are new people getting into both the hobby & the events all the time, of course getting to a dragstrip for some practice before Drag Week would be a help, but it’s likely going to always be the case.

I think maybe the guy doing the engine change Alan is referring to is the guy with the pink Baretta. He seemed pretty excited in posts leading up to Drag Week to be coming to his first Drag Week. He blew up on his first pass on Sunday nights test & tune. He said he had actually made a few passes at the local track before Drag Week, but not enough apparently. I think his original engine was somewhat modified, and he actually drove the car to the event, didn’t trailer it, so Sunday night he was trying to figure out how he was getting home. Most of the other competitors I saw comment encouraged him to find another engine and get it running again. The racers at the track even took up a collection to buy him a Harbor Freight engine hoist. He did find a junkyard engine and I saw a post today where he had it running again. He is  definitely out of competition, he wasn’t able to make a pass Monday or today, but he’s going to try and join back up tomorrow, and Hot Rod usually lets those people make passes the rest of the week, they just don’t count, so he won’t be the first. Sometimes in the past those guys win the Spirit of Drag Week award. But yes, we all cross our fingers it doesn’t grenade again.

And yes, I saw the cars that ran the whole way down the track trailing oil, likely also due to being dragstrip novices. Watching the live feed yesterday morning they did have the camera on during the morning drivers meeting, but no audio on, so I don’t know what was said. But maybe in the future they need to reinforce some of those type of things for the people that are new to this. I will say it was probably the shortest Drag Week drivers meetings I’ve seen. Thinking back locally here, many years ago Brainerd International Raceway started their Show & Go event that attracted a lot of people that weren’t regular racers, and after lots of similar first year issues, in later years they got an experienced long time racer to give a class to the novices, it helped a lot.

I saw the guy making the extremely slow pass down the track, and hugging the centerline, second to the last pass yesterday. Today Freiburger commented that upon asking the guy later what was up they found out he had showed up with only street tires, where the rules require drag tires. The guys running the event told him he could run at the end of the day, so as not to effect the prepped track surface, but told him to stay out of the groove and take it easy down the track, it seems he took that very literally lol. It was painful to watch, but humorous now that we know the rest of the story.

I did see some Ford breakage, I think it was the guy with the Falcon sedan delivery that broke the 8” rear end, probably not surprising. They put out a racer in need call and he did find another 8”, although I saw today it seemed like they were looking for another, I hope it didn’t break again.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 09:12:21 PM »
Kevin, I passed the Falcon Delivery on the way home. He was sitting on the side of the road on Rt. 30, but it looked like they were messing with the trailer. I'm pretty sure he's still 'Delivering' as of this point..lol

A couple of the cars that oiled down were very fast cars. I'd find it hard to believe a drag race newbie would be there with sub 10 or 11 second racers. Maybe I'm wrong though. Today there were a couple guys that pulled over after minor mishaps, in an abundance of caution, obviously not wanting to be "that guy". I certainly don't blame them. After Mondays fiasco, I think it was on the minds of everyone.

I watched the '63 but didn't get a chance to check it over. It looked to have twin turbos in place of the center headlights, and it certainly sounded LS-ish to me, but might have been a small block or something. It most certainly did not have a "muscle car" sound. For a mild sounding car it ran pretty good, dipping into the low 11's. Certainly a beautiful car.

The only FE that I saw or am aware of is Scott's Cougar. Usually there are at least 3 or 4, but I don't think that's the case this year. I did take a video of Scott's run, but I'm not keen on uploading it to YouTube without him knowing about it.

Another car I checked out was Alex Taylor's new '55 Chevy, built entirely by her dad, Dennis. He thrashed hard the last couple of months to build this car. Dennis is a really talented guy, forming and making the front end and doors/decklid by hand, building and welding the entire chassis and interior, all the turbo plumbing, making the intercoolers, fuel tank etc etc etc. The basic structure of the body is real patina, drug from a field. The rest is made to match it.

I just think he did a remarkable job in such a short timeframe. This was literally only their 3rd or 4th pass in the car, and all he did was yank the engine out of his Retro Nova, threw some new bearings in it and dropped it in this car.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 09:18:56 PM »
Forgive me if this turn ls not to be Ford powered lol

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 10:00:34 PM »
Forgive me if this turn ls not to be Ford powered lol

You're safe Kevin! I know the owner, Jon Baker. Although not FE powered he is running a turbo charged 460 in it.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 11:01:31 PM »
You're safe Kevin! I know the owner, Jon Baker. Although not FE powered he is running a turbo charged 460 in it.

Wow, Alan, that really surprised me! The car sounded very docile and small block like. That sounds like a cool set-up and I wish I had had the chance to check it out better.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 07:18:27 AM »
I like following drag week and it definitely helps fill the void since "corporate" big leagues drag racing became so boring. 

Too bad that they're having issues with that Cougar, always my favorite car.  I've been on the fence with these "plug and play" EFI setups, there appears to be a LOT of issues with them, this sort of seals the deal that I'll either remain carbed or go with another setup if I ever do EFI. 

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 12:04:04 PM »
I like following drag week and it definitely helps fill the void since "corporate" big leagues drag racing became so boring. 

Too bad that they're having issues with that Cougar, always my favorite car.  I've been on the fence with these "plug and play" EFI setups, there appears to be a LOT of issues with them, this sort of seals the deal that I'll either remain carbed or go with another setup if I ever do EFI.
There are pros and cons to both I suppose. I remember one year on the side of the road at 9:00 pm seeing a guy with his laptop plugged into his car and on the phone with his tech guy trying to sort out a problem. I also remember me just about to stage at Indy only have my car load up big time because the gas boiled over in the carb. When you have a problem on the road I think carburetors are easier to figure out and get going again which for me is a big plus.   

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 12:34:40 PM »
...And another big full track oil down after a Dodge Dart came down hard from a big wheel stand and continued the whole way down the track to the end. At least they did pull to the side of the track instead of running down the middle, but it still requires a lengthy cleanup wasting valuable time. And for those who weren’t watching, the driver had it slowed down and under control long before the end of the quarter, but continued to coast anyway  :(
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 12:50:59 PM »
Scott Miller just ran 9.32 @ 143 on his second pass of the day I think. Certainly his best looking run so far. It seems they’re getting their issues sorted out.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 01:19:14 PM »
There’s a nice ‘64 Fairlane that I believe they said is running a Windsor based engine. Also a nice & fast  ‘70 Mustang running in Pro Street class. Here’s a couple screenshots.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
Scott Miller just ran 9.32 @ 143 on his second pass of the day I think. Certainly his best looking run so far. It seems they’re getting their issues sorted out.

That's good news. His first run had a slight hesitation again and ran a 9.79 or .78 I think. I missed his 2nd run. Purely a guess, but the FI might not like the foot braking and subsequent mashing of the throttle. If he had the launch to full potential, I think he'd easily be knocking on the 8's.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 12:48:16 PM »
Scott ran a 9.38 today, putting him squarely in 3rd place, about a half second from the 2 leaders. He didn't have any hesitation issues, so they must have the FI figured out for the launch.

The Boss Cougar in Ultimate Iron moved up to first place after the leader had broke a rear yesterday. Today he hasn't ran the best, having what looked like a nitrous backfire on the launch of his first run, running a high 9, then came back and ran a 10 something, so he'll need to get that better to hold his lead.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
The day 4 driving route. as I suspected...ugh. :(
https://tinyurl.com/2yb4f2r4

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 06:15:29 PM »
I took today off to go and watch the action at my Home track in Byron. Had a nice chat with the Millers. I took a short video of Scott's only run. Sorry it got a bit fuzzy at the end, the camera didn't refocus in time. >:(  9.38 @ 139.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqkYGlQFyec

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 06:28:46 PM »
It was just before 9am and Joel had already made a pass and was loading up. I believe Jeff told me he ran a 10.88. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jared

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 07:02:00 PM »
Here are a few Fords that I spotted. All were Ford Powered.

427W with nitrous powered Mustang. I believe it ran high 8's.

I peeked underneath this one. It appeared to be a Windsor.

More of the Cougar Boss:

Jared

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 07:10:46 PM »
It was just before 9am and Joel had already made a pass and was loading up. I believe Jeff told me he ran a 10.88. Correct me if I'm wrong.

10.88, yes. Thanks for the pictures and the at the track report.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Joel does NOT mess around! He almost always runs really early. I passed him leaving as I was showing up at Norwalk. I think he has one of the coolest vintage cars there, with a real vintage hemi, and the 8 carb intake. He isn't afraid to thrash on that thing either.

So it appears that Scott is running the only FE at Drag Week this year. Kind of a bummer seeing as altogether they have 6 class wins.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2021, 06:41:29 AM »
So it appears that Scott is running the only FE at Drag Week this year. Kind of a bummer seeing as altogether they have 6 class wins.
Guess we like dinosaurs  ;)
Gotta hand it to Joel doing the week in that rig. Well done.
The cougar is cool.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2021, 05:48:52 AM »
Joel, and I were NOT messing around this Drag Week. We arrived early every day, and could turn the car over from Street to race in about 20 minutes. Hit the lanes, make one pass, and then turn the car over in 21-25 minutes. While at Norwalk, we left the gate at 8:48am. While we could have messed around, and tried to get faster, it didn't make any sense. Mark Fisher who was in first place, had us covered by a full second, and the guy in 3rd place, was behind us by 1.5 seconds. Knowing your spot is secure, it's best to hit the road early, and make the drive ahead of the heat, traffic, and IF any problems arise, you have time to fix them. Yes we worked our butts off, but personally I had one of the best Drag Weeks I've ever been to. Had some issues Monday, and Tuesday, but was pretty much clear sailing from that point on, as far as finishing the event. I'm looking forward to doing it again.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2021, 06:09:49 AM »
Great job.
I should have said a well done for BOTH of you guys. Apologies.
Caught a couple runs here and there.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »
It's no small feat to get in early and run early. The lanes fill up QUICK. I was hoping to get to say Hi to Jeff and Joel, but they were playing it smart. Congrats to you guys for another successful DW. It can't be an easy feat traveling over a thousand miles in that cramped coupe.

It was a bummer to see Goldstone crash on the final day. That Javelin has become a real staple at DW. Just glad he was okay, as things could have gone much worse for him.

A few of you guys will understand and appreciate this  ;D

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
Congrats to Joel and Jeff for completing the week and making the podium...  Must be an extra second in that old Coupe for next year.. Joel  time to plan for Bonneville.. (I hear Jeff snickering in the background)  lol
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »
Congrats to Joel and Jeff for completing the week and making the podium...  Must be an extra second in that old Coupe for next year.. Joel  time to plan for Bonneville.. (I hear Jeff snickering in the background)  lol

PLENTY of time before Bonneville! Joel, and his son are already working on stuff for that project. The Coupe doesn't need too much at this point to be ready for another round next year. Really just needs more testing.

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
It can't be an easy feat traveling over a thousand miles in that cramped coupe.

It's actually not that bad. I've ridden in FAR worse. Thankfully Joel spent the money on Kirkey seats. They are good for about 9hours, compared to a plastic seat that is good for 9 minutes. It helps that the exhaust isn't plumbed into the cars cabin as well. Tailpipes all the way to the rear. We can have the complete exhaust off in less than 5 minutes. It's pretty quiet in there as well as no need for sewer pipe sized exhaust for the street. Even with Joel's lack of hearing, and me wearing ear plugs for the wind, we can talk to each other.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »
It was definitely a challenge just getting there this year, but I'm glad that we made it and stuck with it through a few challenges! Completing the event, and coming in second in class was very gratifying. The early start, one and done formula is a safe way to go because it allows time to solve problems on the road when things go awry. But, a consequence is that most of the social interaction and checking out other people's cars and activities is missed.
Maybe one of these years I'll do drag week in the parade car again so that I can absorb the entirety of drag week.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:36:25 PM by Hemi Joel »

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2021, 07:58:42 PM »
Here are some pictures from drag week

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2021, 08:01:12 PM »
more pics

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2021, 08:09:03 PM »
more more pics

The t56 magnum pushed out the rear seal. We had bought a set of measuring cups to mix the octane booster. The 3/4 cup worked perfectly as a seal driver

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2021, 08:14:46 PM »
even more pics even!

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2021, 10:21:56 PM »
Joel, it's even more impressive that you do DW without a trailer. Luxurious space is not exactly a thing on those old coupes.

Nice picture of you and Cheryl. She's a cancer survivor, and a solid regular on DW. It's cool to see her Model A every year, and always without any problems to speak of.

Thanks for the pics.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »
Joel, it's even more impressive that you do DW without a trailer. Luxurious space is not exactly a thing on those old coupes.

Nice picture of you and Cheryl. She's a cancer survivor, and a solid regular on DW. It's cool to see her Model A every year, and always without any problems to speak of.

Thanks for the pics.

You find every nook and cranny you can to put stuff in. We also use soft collapsible bags for everything. Next year, the tool box is going to be just that. A bag you can smash down. Day one is the toughest, as we carry enough stuff to change oil twice during the event. After the first oil change, it's not bad at all. I've now gotten used to packing the car so many times, that you know the best place for everything.

Jay will be disappointed to know Joel doesn't carry his umbrella, or his 1950's suitcase anymore.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »

Thanks for the pics.

You find every nook and cranny you can to put stuff in. We also use soft collapsible bags for everything. Next year, the tool box is going to be just that. A bag you can smash down. Day one is the toughest, as we carry enough stuff to change oil twice during the event. After the first oil change, it's not bad at all. I've now gotten used to packing the car so many times, that you know the best place for everything.

Jay will be disappointed to know Joel doesn't carry his umbrella, or his 1950's suitcase anymore.

When I ran my Galaxie on DW I took a picture of the trunk with it all loaded, enlarged and printed it out and taped it to one of the containers so I could see how it all went back in because there was really one way for it all to go. :)