Author Topic: Hot Rod Drag Week 2021 kicks off today  (Read 5123 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Hot Rod Drag Week 2021 kicks off today
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »
Our members Hemi Joel & JericoGTX Jeff are back this year with Joel’s Hemi powered ‘31 Plymouth Coupe. And I believe our member Scott Miller is there with his FE Powered Cougar. Any one else? It’s starting and ending at U.S. 131 Motorsports Park this year. Here’s a link to the live feed just getting under way:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5Zae6fs6c
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2021 kicks off today
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:14:39 AM »
10.15 first pass for Joel just now.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »
Scott Miller makes his first pass

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
Scott Miller makes his first pass

It just rolled off the line like it was at idle before it picked up and took off. Ran a 9.90, which is about .7 off his usual average. They've had trans brake issues in the past so I'm wondering if that was the problem here, as the speed was 144, with a really lazy start. Hopefully they get that sorted out. I know in the past, Scott resorted to just foot braking because they couldn't get the trans brake sorted out.

Not sure if he's run again, or if he will. I'm guessing he did/will.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »
Good to see this. I'm digging that FE powered Cougar!  8)
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
Scott's second run did not go well at all, blowing the tires off all the way through 1st gear. He definitely foot braked on that run, so I think he is still having trans brake issues. I don't think he had time for another run at that point, so that will really hurt any chances he had for a third win in his class.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 12:58:40 AM »
Probably not many people paying attention, but today's races really seemed to be a @#!$show to me. LS's blowing up about every hour (seems to be a trend lately), oil downs stopping racing about every hour, sometimes for 30-45 minutes. Idiots blowing up their engines, then proceeding to travel at a leisurely pace down the entire track....spreading oil....down the entire track (seriously, some of these guys are experienced racers, and they aren't smart enough to pull over??). They finally just shut down the right lane for the last hour and just ran the left, because of a major oil down.

Next year they will probably require diapers, all because of idiots using power adders on cheap LS engines, and the drivers not being smart enough to pull over. I think LS is just an abbreviation for Le Stupido.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 08:31:49 AM »
Great looking and performing Cougar.
Had no idea he had class wins at Drag Week.
Huge thumbs up!

Does Scott build his own FE engine? Drag week builds are typically very difficult to build - certainly for N/A non-turbo power.

Good luck to him the rest of the week!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 08:33:00 AM »
Damn sorry to hear about Scott’s second pass. He was a the reunion last year and if I remember correctly I think he ran a 9.43 or 9.34 so yeah a 9.90 isn’t good for him. It’s a long week ya never know what can happen, you know you been there Doug.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
Great looking and performing Cougar.
Had no idea he had class wins at Drag Week.
Huge thumbs up!

Does Scott build his own FE engine? Drag week builds are typically very difficult to build - certainly for N/A non-turbo power.

Blair Patrick built the engine for Scott's Cougar.

I took the day off and rode up to Norwalk to watch the races today. Just as I walked in and got to the line of cars in the staging lanes, I saw Scott's Cougar parked up against the fence. I walked over just in time to help them push it back to the Holley tent. The car just shut off on them. Turns out they switched to a dual Holley Sniper FI system this year and it just quit on them. The Holley guys had to clear the system and basically re-boot it.

The FI system is what caused his bog off the line yesterday, it was not a trans brake issue (hes been foot braking), and it did it again today. He made one pass after getting it going, and it bogged off the line again, then took off to a 9.8? run. They called it good after that and hit the road. Scott can re-boot the system on the road if he needs to, so they shouldn't have issues with that. It's a shame, because otherwise he'd be running in the low 9's like he usually does....if not quicker. I asked about the change to FI and Scott said that it picked up just a bit on peak HP, but that it gained a bunch under the curve.

Joe, yeah, anything can happen, but the current leaders in his class ran 8.99, 9.0 and a 9.1 yesterday, so he would have had his hands full even if the car were working properly. But if he got it sorted out, and the 3 leaders break, he could still have a chance. The rest of the field is running slower than what he can run. You never can tell at Drag Week  8)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
Probably not many people paying attention, but today's races really seemed to be a @#!$show to me. LS's blowing up about every hour (seems to be a trend lately), oil downs stopping racing about every hour, sometimes for 30-45 minutes. Idiots blowing up their engines, then proceeding to travel at a leisurely pace down the entire track....spreading oil....down the entire track (seriously, some of these guys are experienced racers, and they aren't smart enough to pull over??). They finally just shut down the right lane for the last hour and just ran the left, because of a major oil down.

Next year they will probably require diapers, all because of idiots using power adders on cheap LS engines, and the drivers not being smart enough to pull over. I think LS is just an abbreviation for Le Stupido.

I haven't got to see much of today's coverage but that is how it was yesterday. I counted 5 oil downs...all Chebbies and yes at least one guy coasted  the whole length of the track. I read on the DW FB page where one guy was replacing his LS in the pits with another junk yard motor referring to it as another "hand grenade". A lot of folks leaving ahead of the lights too so no time registered. Also on yesterday a friend of mine waited in the lanes all day until 3:00 to get one pass in and during that time I saw several racers making two passes and at least one made three passes. So, lane management was not real consistent.
One advantage of running RMRW where they race in the afternoon/evening is if you are waiting on multiple oil downs you don't have a 6 hour waiting, youv'e already done that.
OOPS! I just saw the time stamp on your post and I guess we were both talking about Day 1.  8)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:28:47 PM by AlanCasida »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »
While browsing through the cars, I came across what I think is the coolest car there, at least from a Ford point of view.
I saw this car yesterday but didn't know what he was running. Today I found out he's got a Kaase 547 Boss engine. He's running in Ultimate Iron, which typically has some really fast cars. He's in 2nd place, but the first place car is running 1.8 seconds quicker. Still, he's running 8.80's at over 150. I started to comment on it being Ford powered and before I got done his response was "Yeah, it ain't no damn LS engine"..lol  ;D

Beautiful car, with a seldom seen DW engine.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
I haven't got to see much of today's coverage but that is how it was yesterday. I counted 5 oil downs...all Chebbies and yes at least one guy coasted  the whole length of the track. I read on the DW FB page where one guy was replacing his LS in the pits with another junk yard motor referring to it as another "hand grenade". A lot of folks leaving ahead of the lights too so no time registered. Also on yesterday a friend of mine waited in the lanes all day until 3:00 to get one pass in and during that time I saw several racers making two passes and at least one made three passes. So, lane management was not real consistent.
One advantage of running RMRW where they race in the afternoon/evening is if you are waiting on multiple oil downs you don't have a 6 hour waiting, youv'e already done that.
OOPS! I just saw the time stamp on your post and I guess we were both talking about Day 1.  8)

Alan, it's already been a weird DW this year. I saw multiple cars red-light today. Even a double red-light??!! I'm not even sure how that happens when reaction time means nothing. Guys in Street Machine Eliminator will run against their dial-ins at the end of the week, so some of them try to cut a good light for practice, but that was not the case for some of these cars.

And yes, I saw Scott sit in his lane for over 1 1/2 hours yesterday. I'm not sure what was going on there, but it wasn't just Street Machine Eliminator that held it up (they have a bunch of cars as usual).

As far as the engine change, the rules state you have to finish with the engine you started with, so I'm guessing he's out of competition and just trying to make it through the week....and will probably oil the track down later this week  ::)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:46 PM »

Alan, it's already been a weird DW this year. I saw multiple cars red-light today. Even a double red-light??!! I'm not even sure how that happens when reaction time means nothing. Guys in Street Machine Eliminator will run against their dial-ins at the end of the week, so some of them try to cut a good light for practice, but that was not the case for some of these cars.

And yes, I saw Scott sit in his lane for over 1 1/2 hours yesterday. I'm not sure what was going on there, but it wasn't just Street Machine Eliminator that held it up (they have a bunch of cars as usual).

As far as the engine change, the rules state you have to finish with the engine you started with, so I'm guessing he's out of competition and just trying to make it through the week....and will probably oil the track down later this week  ::)

Actually I think you can swap motors out if you blow up the one in your car. I looked at the rules and I think it allows for that...maybe.
Here it is what it says:  "•Swapping engines so that one is used for the dragstrip and another for the on-road drives is not allowed. One
long-block is to be used for the entire competition, barring the need for impromptu repairs."

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
I’ve watched most of the live feed yesterday & today, missed a little bit here & there. Thanks for the engine report on the blue Cougar, that’s cool and it’s really flying. A few other neat Fords too, sometimes Freiburger announces the engine combo’s, but not always, and you can’t assume they all actually are Ford powered. I’ve seen a nice looking ‘63 Galaxie there the last couple days too.

Yes, a plethora of oil downs & breakage Monday, although I’ve seen that in past Monday’s too. I follow some of the lead up to these events on Facebook, it’s still the norm that a lot of the people doing these Drag & Drive events are still putting their cars together at the last minute, often without any on the road or dragstrip testing before the event, so some carnage isn’t unexpected. But on the flip side lots of people who are veterans that are really getting their program down too. And the performance of these cars just keeps getting quicker all the time too. And still quite a few participants each year who have never made any dragstrip pass before. I mean that’s a good thing that there are new people getting into both the hobby & the events all the time, of course getting to a dragstrip for some practice before Drag Week would be a help, but it’s likely going to always be the case.

I think maybe the guy doing the engine change Alan is referring to is the guy with the pink Baretta. He seemed pretty excited in posts leading up to Drag Week to be coming to his first Drag Week. He blew up on his first pass on Sunday nights test & tune. He said he had actually made a few passes at the local track before Drag Week, but not enough apparently. I think his original engine was somewhat modified, and he actually drove the car to the event, didn’t trailer it, so Sunday night he was trying to figure out how he was getting home. Most of the other competitors I saw comment encouraged him to find another engine and get it running again. The racers at the track even took up a collection to buy him a Harbor Freight engine hoist. He did find a junkyard engine and I saw a post today where he had it running again. He is  definitely out of competition, he wasn’t able to make a pass Monday or today, but he’s going to try and join back up tomorrow, and Hot Rod usually lets those people make passes the rest of the week, they just don’t count, so he won’t be the first. Sometimes in the past those guys win the Spirit of Drag Week award. But yes, we all cross our fingers it doesn’t grenade again.

And yes, I saw the cars that ran the whole way down the track trailing oil, likely also due to being dragstrip novices. Watching the live feed yesterday morning they did have the camera on during the morning drivers meeting, but no audio on, so I don’t know what was said. But maybe in the future they need to reinforce some of those type of things for the people that are new to this. I will say it was probably the shortest Drag Week drivers meetings I’ve seen. Thinking back locally here, many years ago Brainerd International Raceway started their Show & Go event that attracted a lot of people that weren’t regular racers, and after lots of similar first year issues, in later years they got an experienced long time racer to give a class to the novices, it helped a lot.

I saw the guy making the extremely slow pass down the track, and hugging the centerline, second to the last pass yesterday. Today Freiburger commented that upon asking the guy later what was up they found out he had showed up with only street tires, where the rules require drag tires. The guys running the event told him he could run at the end of the day, so as not to effect the prepped track surface, but told him to stay out of the groove and take it easy down the track, it seems he took that very literally lol. It was painful to watch, but humorous now that we know the rest of the story.

I did see some Ford breakage, I think it was the guy with the Falcon sedan delivery that broke the 8” rear end, probably not surprising. They put out a racer in need call and he did find another 8”, although I saw today it seemed like they were looking for another, I hope it didn’t break again.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V