Author Topic: Rush!  (Read 3143 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
Rush!
« on: September 12, 2021, 01:11:43 AM »
While hanging out in the shop and enjoying the view (66 Galaxie and 85 Supra), I'm jamming to Rush's R40 concert video...any fans here? No country music playing in this shop...electric guitars and musical creativity rule the spaces. I'm unable to adequately communicate the talent of these artists with words--their works speak for themselves.

What are your favorites, aside from an FE screamin' out the pipes?
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Rush!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 11:54:24 AM »
Country, all the way, for me!

I love the Dixie chicks and Chris Stapleton. :)
Frank

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 12:37:25 PM »
Rush, a very talented, creative and..... I started that like there were going to be 3 things..... Band.

But I can only listen to them in very small doses.

Favorite band?

Rolling Stones!!!

Sad about Charlie passing...  :'(
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:01:25 PM »
I like a lot of music
and
I dislike a lot of music
but
there's more AC/DC playing in my shop than any other band.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 04:41:55 PM »
Big Rush fan here. Seen them perform multiple times over the years. Actually going to see Primus honor Rush by recreating the Farewell to Kings album live.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:11:11 PM by Gaugster »
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
Pasty Cline, Willie Nelson, Reba, Bellame Brothers, Bob Marley, Who, Steppenwolf, Beach Boys, ANY Reggae, Willie Nelson again, no rap, and so on & so on. I'm flexible.
Solid loud thumping bass with a good dance rhythm.
Am I telling my age ?

Well I just got chewed on for not including the Allman Brothers.
"Rambling Man" my favorite.
Knew Duane, Gregg, Berry, Jamoie fairly well. Partied at the " The Shine "
(Sunshine Club) with them. Duane, Gregg & Berry buried in town.
Little Richard, James Brown & Otis Redding are local legends.
Those were FUN times.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:34:05 PM by wowens »
Woody

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 06:30:43 PM »
No rap, I can certainly agree with that. I grew up with what is now called classis country, which reminds me of my childhood, but I don't play it (same for 50s music-ugh!).

AC/DC was my first "favorite band", and they are always good to hear (up until maybe Flick of the Switch).

Unfortunately, I never was able to get to a Rush concert--a big disappointment. I did see Pink Floyd for the Momentary Lapse tour, Black Sabbath w/Ozzy reunion tour--a couple of my best concerts. Primus doing Rush? That sounds interesting....

Yeah, the Stones have made some great music too.

I try to find new music to get into, but it gets difficult to discover new and good music. I went to college later in life, so some of the younger students turned me on to some good stuff. If you like electric guitar and Jazz Fusion, check out Animals as Leaders first release--it is phenomenal, it is instrumental. A lead singer's voice is like a set of wheels on a car, it can make or break the car/band. There are many great musicians whose work is tainted by poor singers (a subjective assessment to be sure--much like the term "good music")
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:01:45 PM by Diogenes »

1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 06:32:24 PM »
Age is just a number.  8)

SLAYER, Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Korn, Throwdown, Cataract, Gojira, Static-X, Walls of Jericho, The last 10 seconds of life.  Ect..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 06:55:11 PM »
Before they became titans of stadium rock Rush often played local high schools. That's where I first saw them. $5.50. Oh, to be young again!

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 06:59:53 PM »
Iron Maiden, Tool, Alice in Chains, Animals as Leaders, Metallica, Deep Purple,Ted Nugent, Queensryche...the list goes on and on. Different music for different moods--mellow instrumental music like Signal Hill, The Mercury Program, various classical composers. Its all mood dependent. A lot of stuff I've listened to so much I no longer enjoy it as much--AC/DC,Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, mostly classic hard rock/metal. I have a lot of music on my computers, probably 80gig or so worth

I saw Slayer and had a "working pass" for the show, thanks to a friend of mine who used to restore the old tube amps for some of the right people

Wow, to see Rush at a high school, amazing. The video "Rush- Beyond the Lighted Stage" is a great documentary on them. My first concert was Iron Maiden and I paid 12.50 for tickets (Toledo Sports hole/Arena--torn down)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:05:26 PM by Diogenes »

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 08:09:19 PM »
Wow growing up in the late 70s early 80s AC/DC , Pink Floyd, Rush, Boston, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath. Before I drove I would have my boom box with me cranking wherever I went driving around on my Schwinn Stingray. Once I got the Stang I really liked to listen to the motor but when my girl was in the car she listened to the radio. Hmmm good times. I saw a lot of concerts. Drank beers with Boston back stage, my cousins were musicians and hung out with Dee Schneider my one cousin jammed with Joe Cocker and a few other people but I was just on the receiving end of great concerts. 15th row center for ZZ Top. I do listen to a lot of different Music, and I like country a lot also.

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 06:53:14 AM »
I listen to a lot of different styles of music, hard to pick a favorite..BUT.....in the last couple years I have become a huge fan of a rock band from Mexico - The Warning.
3 sisters that started playing rock when they were very, very young. Their cover of Enter Sandman in 2014 when they were 14, 12, & 9 put them in the public eye when a video posted for their grandparents to view went viral.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1boUYB9LFJY

They don't play a style of rock that can be pigeon-holed into a category, it's just great rock. They are also big Rush fans.
Since then, as an independent band, they published an EP and 2 LPs, one of which is a 'rock opera' (while still in their teens!).
They are now signed to a major label with their 3rd album due to be released.

They just this past week released another cover of Enter Sandman for the Metallica Blacklist compilation. Metallica asked many artists from different genres to pick a song from the Black Album and create their own version; "Play it backwards, turn it on it's head, we don't care" said Lars.
They worked with a pop singer from Canada, Alessia Cara, to create a version of Enter Sandman that is incredible. Not at all a carbon copy cover, but their own version with an amazing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKQgesCcTc

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 06:17:26 PM »
Glad to see a bunch of Metalheads on here. Marshall Tucker band is as far into Country (Power County?) as I wade. Dig a bunch of Rock from the 70's through 90's. If it's new my taste is Dubstep. Sort of heavy as Metal but bass - drum genre.
SLAYER!!!!!
Here the Primus event fyi.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:21:58 PM by Gaugster »

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 10:16:04 PM »
For me a btt more modern. NOT NESARRY in ORDER.
Dave Mathews
REM
Red Hot Chilly Peppers
Bruce Hornsby
Jackson Browne
Van Morrison
Cheryl Crow (Hot)
Lumineers
Decemberists
Bob Seger (my home town guy)
Grand Funk (also from SE Michigan)
But then there is the Dead and Phish

Richard>>> FERoadster

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »
I listen to both kinds of music. Country and Western. :)

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »
SRV and Robert Cray...bluesy stuff but really everything mentioned above. Not a big country fan but there are many fantastic musicians in the genre.Vince Gill comes to mind. These days,silence is my friend due to tinnitus,probably due to standing too close to a giant stack of Marshalls at concerts. ZZ Top comes to mind...

SMA390

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 08:47:12 AM »
Is that Freedom Rock dude ! Well turn it up man !

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 09:00:04 AM »
Turn it up to 11 !!!!

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »
SRV and Robert Cray...bluesy stuff but really everything mentioned above. Not a big country fan but there are many fantastic musicians in the genre.Vince Gill comes to mind. These days,silence is my friend due to tinnitus,probably due to standing too close to a giant stack of Marshalls at concerts. ZZ Top comes to mind...

If you can achieve silence with tinnitus, you're one up on me.  My ears have been ringing for 20 years.

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »

If you can achieve silence with tinnitus, you're one up on me.  My ears have been ringing for 20 years.

No silence in my ears.Just don't want much other noise.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981 documentary comes on tonight at 9 eastern on axs tv.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:57 PM »
I purchased that two disc CD set when it was first released.
I took a bit of guff from friends for buying the set due to the corny commercials.
All these 20 some years later and I now get asked to borrow those CD's, or bring them along.
When I host a party I put them in the multi Disc player on rotation and everyone likes the music.

I was glad when I purchased them decades ago and I am still glad I have them when I play them...and I still take a little fun guff from my friends due to the corny commercials they remember...man.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 09:01:57 AM »
I was active on an Audio/Video forum for a while. So I learned that Alex Lifeson was going through the catalog and remastering the old material. What's even more cool is that several were remastered in both stereo and surround sound. The effect varies by content but it's neat to say the least. Purists will disagree. ;D Pictured are three stereo SACD on the right. The rest are Blu Ray or DVD-A with 2 channel and 5.1 surround options.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:03:58 AM by Gaugster »

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
I've got Moving Pictures in a 24 bit format, which sounds phenomenal on my main system, but I didn't realize they had done Signals as well. I'll need to find it.

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »
Blew a few 30 amp fuses in my 72 f100 back in the late 70's early 80's, thought that was pretty cool at the time, likely on Zepellin, Rush, AC/DC, or the Doors, now I crave silence but the ring is there.  It was weird, a couple monthes ago it went away almost completley for over a month, not sure why or what I ate or did different but it's back.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:17:42 PM by Thumperbird »

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 08:30:21 AM »
I'm guessing that it's all about our ages...

I liked the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, and the Eagles. That was the 70's and then the 80's hit. Punk rock, alternative and new wave. Anymore music is typically not on in my car/shop, etc. Sometimes however, I'll sit down and explore my "oldies" on youtube and get lost for 2-3 hours. Reminiscing I guess.

What we should do is try to guess forum members ages based on their musical preference.