Author Topic: anyone ever see an FE in a Jeep?  (Read 5866 times)

fe66comet

anyone ever see an FE in a Jeep?
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
Having a little builders regret that I did not know that the 390  has a HP limit. Initially I thought it to only be displacement. So I am thinking of using my 445 FE for my rock crawler Jeep and lining up a 428 block for the comet. Been doing some research and hooking the FE to my transfer case Is going to take some major sidestepping.  First the only adapter is to a GM trans but I have the trans and adapter all rebuilt  and ready to go. Next I have to take a walk over to the rat rod guys side of town and get a trans adapter for 500 bucks. And we are at least that far with that then radiator and exhaust will be the next obstacle to surmount.  Fortunately 390 engines came in small packages so Mustang headers should fit. Radiator is gonna be a tight squeeze not sure on that any suggestions? Thanks Jon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: anyone ever see an FE in a Jeep?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
Jon, you might want to continue with the 390 as it is and dyno it to see if it runs at 600 HP or less; in that case your 390 block would probably be no problem.  That Comet would scoot along just fine with 580 HP.  Also a 428 block won't be a lot better in terms of power potential than a 390 block; you need to get a crossbolted block like a 427, or else fit your 390/428 block with an aftermarket set of crossbolted caps to really hold the bottom end together at the higher power levels.

I'm afraid I'm no help on the Jeep conversion stuff, but I'm sure it can be made to work. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »
Not a HP limit, like all engines it has a stay together limit.
The 428 block has the exact same strength as a good 390 block.
A heavy 390 block may actually be stronger than a 428 block.
I would say my 105 stock bore heavy wall block is a better block than my .040 over 428 block,
which I would have to at least hone again to put back in service.
Now there are couple of things you can do to increase the strenght, Program Caps and fill the water jacket.

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
You didn't mention what model Jeep you have, but I'm assuming it's a CJ, and if that's the case you don't have much real estate for a huge radiator. A remote oil cooler with a fan may be an option to loose some heat.
 I have a 69 Bronco Crawler that is presently on hiatus due to a sick 289.
I had cooling issues and vapor lock problems with it while crawling. I put a body lift on it , hogged out a big piece of the inner fenders, installed a axillary pusher electric fan  and  put a Thunderbolt scoop on it.
Getting the hot air out of the engine compartment fixed all my problems. A body lift may also give you some room for a little more radiator.
 I heard all the horror stories about body lifts, but I know 4 guys with body lifts on their crawling Broncos and so far none of us have a had any problems..

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:15:16 AM »
Agree that a 428 block may be no better than a 390 block. The whole concept btw of an engine's hp limits are endlessly debated but many miss one important proviso:

How often and for how long will your engine actually hit 600hp?

I'd venture unless it's a dedicated drag/track/slalom racer that regularly hits both top rpm and hp,  it's not for long and not very often. 

Bob Maag

fe66comet

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
The comet engine I want to build for road race with a magnum tremac. I probably, should have stayed away from a roller cam and used a heavier block. The block is a light galaxy four barrel block so strength is a factor. If anything I would have started with a FT thick web and cross bolted it. The main reasons I would like to redo it all differently would be a larger bore for more displacement and larger valves. Stronger block that accepts a longer stroke, the Edelbrock heads have a lot of limitations even after changing to 5/16 stems and and guides. I decided to go E85 after I purchased the rotating assembly so my compression is 9.8-1 with a thin gasket 10.0-1. In order to get the desired 12.0-1 I would have to take the max off the heads which is .060 leaving a head that will not take much abuse like getting hot. Those are the reasons I do not want it to go in the comet, I should have thought it out first and stuck with the plan. I was definitely uneducated as to the ins and outs of FE parts and blocks, I assumed to much I guess.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:54:31 AM »
No FE but a 312 y-block in the 70s in a CJ2 with big
and litles so he could not use the FWD :D
dont remember how he fit up the transmission

And a CJ2 with Chrysler 413 and later a Hemi
but that was on a shorted Buick -56 chassie
with widened body. almost wider than it was
long ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fe66comet

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
I figured out so far how to get from my 445 to my trans with a Wilcap trans adapter to my T350 trans into the NP 231 transfer case. BTW this is going in a 2000 TJ Wrangler. The hard part looks to be exhaust, I am going to give Sanderson a call today to see if their FE F100 shorty headers might go? I am going coil over suspension in the front but the upper  strut mounts leave about 22" between the frame rails so it is gonna be too tight for full length headers. Cooling wise I can get a 26/19 double pass radiator with a 4000 cfm dual fan shroud to fit.  Also two 1100 cfm coolers vented out of the fender side panels, one for engine oil and another for trans. The hood will get the early  Ford style 5" scoop and custom vents out of tubing. Underneath will be a Rock Crawler 7.0 lift 8.5 stretch kit, Dana 60  Currie Rock Jock high pinion front and rear with 5.29 gears. All the goodies will roll on 38/14.50 TSL Thorn Birds. I wish I could find fender well exit headers but no luck yet.

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
 ( NP 231 transfer case ) behind a 455 Fe !   um huston we have a problem ..  Ive seen a few 231's live behind low power v8's on 35's being a little easy on them. but behind a 500hp 500tq FE ....NO CHANCE ! I would be looking at a atlas and using big joints .. also 35 spline stubs in the 60 ..

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Having a little builders regret that I did not know that the 390  has a HP limit. Initially I thought it to only be displacement. So I am thinking of using my 445 FE for my rock crawler Jeep and lining up a 428 block for the comet. Been doing some research and hooking the FE to my transfer case Is going to take some major sidestepping.  First the only adapter is to a GM trans but I have the trans and adapter all rebuilt  and ready to go. Next I have to take a walk over to the rat rod guys side of town and get a trans adapter for 500 bucks. And we are at least that far with that then radiator and exhaust will be the next obstacle to surmount.  Fortunately 390 engines came in small packages so Mustang headers should fit. Radiator is gonna be a tight squeeze not sure on that any suggestions? Thanks Jon

My brother in law has a early CJ with a 390 in it. No fit issue's at all, running some type of adaptor and a early bellhousing.

He is in process of dropping on a Fiberglass body and freshening things up a bit.

fe66comet

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »
That sounds like fun with the short wheel base and a stick the 390 is a torque monster in its self post some pics!!