Author Topic: My experience with Tim's Custom Exhaust, Coon Rapids, MN  (Read 1331 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
My experience with Tim's Custom Exhaust, Coon Rapids, MN
« on: August 09, 2021, 06:19:49 PM »
A few months ago I asked if anyone had suggestions for a custom exhaust shop that would do mandrel bent systems...and you guys came through as usual.
Thanks again because this type of help is great.

I figured I would write my experience concerning Tim's Custom Exhaust.

Months ago this began with me calling Tim's and talking with the service writer (Drew)
Drew and I talked about the car, what work I was looking for, and some other things.
Drew was polite, friendly, and helpful....and soon we had a scheduled date almost two months out....they are busy I guess.

I got in touch with the people at SpinTech mufflers and had them build me a set of custom stainless steel mufflers...$$$$!!!!
They said I would receive them in less than a month.....NOPE!
That date came and went...twice.........

Because my time at Tim's was on the custom mandrel bend rack, a rack they reserve for just this type of work, work they schedule to begin on Monday's only and last a week, I took this delay seriously and called Tim's to discuss the muffler attainment issues with Drew.

Drew was great, and he knew all too well about SpinTech's finish date delays as this has happened to him many times over.
I informed them of my lack of mufflers well in advance of my scheduled date, and for this Drew was thankful.
I figured their time was valuable and if I can't be on the rack I better let them know.

Time ticks by and finally I receive the mufflers...they look a bit weird, but very nice overall.

I speak with Drew and we make another scheduled rack date...They gave me the date and time from their schedule.
I show up a bit before 8am (when they open) and get the car ready to come off the trailer.
By 9:15 it is apparent they are NOT ready for me so I intervene.

They were talking about moving this, shuffling that, and other things to "fit me in"...No good for this car as I need a secure space in the shop, without question, if it will be there for a week. No shuffling and moving and making space please...and this was directly discussed prior to today so it was a known part of the deal.

There is a Firebird about 1/2 way finished with fitting a system on the mandrel rack that is not in a position to be moved either.
There were about 8 or 10 adjustable stands holding the system in place and waiting for welds...This car would take about 45 miniutes to break down just to back it off the rack. No sense in doing that at this point.

I say to them, it is apparent my car will not have shop space today, and by the looks of the Firebird, not for a few more days at best...They agree.
We talk about this and that, they apologize to the moon, and ultimately I set a different rack date.
During all this talk we again discussed what was to be done with the car, what system to build, what materials to use, as well as me specifically asking if all this can be done and do they have any suggestions....Nope, we are all on the same page.

Strap the car down, close the trailer, and off I go to put it back in the garage until the scheduled date...again, a date they chose from their calendar, again.

Today was the day, out the door by 6am and I'm off to get the car from the garage and take it to Tim's for exhaust work...The trip is about 70 miles one way for me.
Traffic was light, but MAN! the speeders. I was in the right lane doing 60ish in a 60 zone and a few people passed me doing 90+ easy!
Anyway, I arrive at Tim's a bit early because the trip went perfect....Except for the young girl who almost merged into the trailer because she was on the phone texting.

I unstrap and get the trailer ready to remove the car and then sit in the truck listening to the radio for the next 20 minutes or so.

At about 8:10, (they open at 8am) I stroll in and am greeted by Drew who is taking care of opening things and getting stuff ready.
Oddly enough, there is a 74 Chevy truck on the mandrel rack, and it is in full mock up stage just like the Firebird before.....REALLY?

After about 10 minutes of waiting they tell me to bring the car to stall # so and so and I drive it around and put it on the rack.
The back of this whole building complex is a pure shit pile mess.

We poke around under the car discussing what I want done and all the other stuff and pretty soon this is when the "We can'ts" begin.

We can't get 2.25" stainless steel pipe that our bender will work with.

We were under the impression this was to be a crush bent system and we don't have space or time on the mandrel rack.

We won't be able to bend the tail pipes to fit.

There were a few more "we can'ts" and you get the point.

I remain calm, polite, and in a mental state that wants to figure this problem out.

I say; I hear you telling me a lot about what you can't do, and I understand what you are saying. I would like to know what you can do with this car, concerning building an exhaust system like we discussed.

Eventually we came to an agreement, I thanked them for their time and input, shook hands and put the car back in the trailer.

Just to round out the story here are a few highlights.
We discussed exactly what system I was looking for at least four seperate times, The diameter, the materials, the mandrel bends, exact locations of tail pipe exits, what to keep and what to remove...all the normal stuff, with two of their people present, one of them being "the mandrel bend, custom guy who will be doing the work."

Yet today they did not know I wanted stainless steel.

They did not know I was there specifically to get a mandrel bent system...which makes me wonder why in the heck I was scheduled for the special mandrel rack in the first place?

They are unable to get 2" or 2.25" stainless steel exhaust tubing.

They were taken aback when I asked if they were able to source mandrel bends in order to fabricate a system....Literally answering with, "Well...I suppose we might be able to find that, but that's going to take a lot of work to put together." Almost as if they have never heard of mandrel bent sections...I kid you not.

They made a schedule, using their calendar and their chosen dates, and broke both of them by having work on the rack at the time my car was specifically scheduled to be on the special, mandrel bend only, rack. NONE of these dates were pressured by me in any manner. I simply agreed to their suggested schedule and met my end of the agreement.

At this stage I am more than 2.5 months used waiting for my broken appointments...by the shop that made the appointments.

All of this nicely covered in a thick layer of excuses about how they can't this and they can't that.

I am trying my very best to remain civil, and not say a buch of things that are on my mind, while telling you this story.

The shop is terribly messy.

The shop will tell you they can do anything you want, then tell you they can't when you are there....They will also showcase and talk about other shops shoddy work, with displays on the wall and descriptions too boot. This whole thing really set me off because this is a pretty dang simple exhaust even if the space is tight...Header to collector is already there, fabricate and install pipe down the underside of the car with a couple bends, two mufflers, up and over the axle and out the rear of the car....STANDARD STUFF.

Like I said, Drew was pretty good to me, and to be honest, I get the impression he is a bit stuck with what the boss is doing while he has to be the face to face person making up the excuse today.
The other guy (Todd I think, but I am super horrible with names, to an embarassing level) who is supposed to be the mandrel bend guy, was also polite, but he was the one doing to double talking and telling me he can't this and he can't that while at the same time telling me how they can build just about any custom system.

Anyway, my time with Tim's Custom Exhaust in Coon Rapids, MN was not enjoyable.
I spent way, way, way too much time accomodating their poor business practices.

While I will not be going on a "ban Tim's jihad" I will tell as many people as I can about what happend to me while trying....and trying again...and trying yet again, to allow them to build me a custom exhaust like it states on the front of the building....

My personal accomplishment over this whole thing?
I did not swear even once....big deal for me for this is my worst habit when I get upset.
I remained polite, calm, and in problem solving/suggestion mode the entire time.
I was kind to both Drew and Todd, even when they started telling me things like "we did not know you wanted a mandrel bent system."

In the end I think this whole steaming pile of wasted time was a test for me rather than a failure of Tim's shop....eventhough Tim's failed with flying colors.

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: My experience with Tim's Custom Exhaust, Coon Rapids, MN
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 06:54:00 PM »
I think as car guys, we all have heard the horror stories of dealing with various shops.  Sounds like they just plain and simple just don't have their shit together, the info you shared should have been in a file which they clearly didn't do, and chaos ensues. 

My body/paint guy and my engine guy both retired this year so I'm in a tough spot trying to find good/reliable/quality/somewhat budget conscious shops and know I'll hit some bumps in the road getting new places lined up as my experience is very few small business owners are good at the administrative end of things. 

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 06:59:23 PM »
I had made a couple suggestions on your original post, one of them being Heartthrob Exhaust in Litchfield.  If you haven't talked to them they appeared to be capable of this type of work. This is there website http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/

Their website seems to show a neat and professional operation unlike Tim's.  I guess it may be a bit of a drive to Litchfield but if they can do the work that is worth the drive.  As I think I may have said in you earlier post I have not had any first hand experience with this company but they appeared to me to be the most competent of the advertisers in the MSRA Linechaser.  Good luck.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 07:35:00 PM »
Try JT race shop or else Gizmos.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 07:51:35 PM »
I can be something of a hothead, but as I've gotten older I've mellowed quite a bit, understanding that "things" happen. I typically expect something to not go as planned and keep a fairly cool head when dealing with shops, but there is a line.

In my opinion, your second trip there with the same results would certainly justify becoming the squeaky wheel, as they clearly crossed that line given all the discussions you had with them (and the 70 mile trip). Being polite will only get you so far with some people, then being "politely" aggitated and vocal is sometimes required (and deserved), and sometimes dropping any semblance of politeness is required.

I'd be looking for another shop at this point, as they've burned you twice.

...just my 25 cents worth (price adjusted for inflation)....
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
I had made a couple suggestions on your original post, one of them being Heartthrob Exhaust in Litchfield.  If you haven't talked to them they appeared to be capable of this type of work. This is there website http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/

Their website seems to show a neat and professional operation unlike Tim's.  I guess it may be a bit of a drive to Litchfield but if they can do the work that is worth the drive.  As I think I may have said in you earlier post I have not had any first hand experience with this company but they appeared to me to be the most competent of the advertisers in the MSRA Linechaser.  Good luck.
I hope you don't think I hold you responsible for any of the shop antics simply because you suggested them.
I honestly appreciated your suggestion...to the extent of trying to do business with the shop.

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 09:40:57 PM »
And this is why I do most everything myself.  Buy the mandrel bends, mock it up, tack'em, take'em out and tig 'em... done deal.  When you consider what shop time cost investment in tools and learning how to do these things pays dividends.  Too many times good money is spent, shops take a long time and many times the results are subpar or worse.  Sorry to be the wet blanket, but that shop is all too common and now a days seems nobody can find good help and most have too much work. Good luck with it.

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 09:44:15 PM »
“ I hope you don't think I hold you responsible for any of the shop antics simply because you suggested them.
I honestly appreciated your suggestion...to the extent of trying to do business with the shop.”

No, not at all. I think maybe you missed my point. I just suggested again to take a look at Heartthrob Exhaust. I actually never suggested trying Tims in your first post a few months ago. If someone did suggest Tim’s, it wasn’t me so I can’t take credit for that. LOL
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 07:12:18 AM »
And this is why I do most everything myself.  Buy the mandrel bends, mock it up, tack'em, take'em out and tig 'em... done deal.  When you consider what shop time cost investment in tools and learning how to do these things pays dividends.  Too many times good money is spent, shops take a long time and many times the results are subpar or worse.  Sorry to be the wet blanket, but that shop is all too common and now a days seems nobody can find good help and most have too much work. Good luck with it.
This is one option I have considered.
I have built a few exhaust system just as you describe, and they worked out great.
Currently I just don't have that kind of time and space to dedicate to such a job....but that will change in a few weeks.
Not having a lift make exhaust jobs a pretty good workout.
The last system I built I think I got under, then back out from under, the truck about 1000 times.
Measure, mark, cut, fit, measure again, fit again, modify as needed, fit again, tack weld, move to the next joint...lather, rinse, repeat.

This is part of why I found Tim's statements and reactions confounding.

For instance, on this car there is a portion of the chassis the tube must run through.
When the 2.25" round section of pipe would not fit his reaction was immediately...can't use that size.
I asked if they can source oval tube, or make a small section of oval tube, and the reaction was almost as if this was odd, or new information to him and I thought to myself....this can't be. This is a custom exhaust shop and this tech is not a young man....he HAS to know about ovals, clearance dents and other modifications that are part of a custom system.

The truth is, at least from my perspective, they just did not want this job.
At first they thought they did, they talked like they did, they set up appointments and other things like they did, but in the end they just do not want to work at making this exhaust system.
Too bad they could not just tell me "no" instead of wasting so much time and energy beating around the bush like they chose to do.

I often tend to take these things as signs.
In this case Tim's may be capable of doing nice work, but not on the car I brought to them.

While I was there some other things happened that made me cringe.
One of them;
The Chevy truck on the mandrel rack was in mock up mode.
My car was on the rack next to the truck.
While my car was up in the air the worker on the truck dropped the section of tailpipe he was mocking up and it went crashing to the ground.
Had my car been on the lift, but lowered, I would be repairing driver rear quarter body damage...and that would stink for sure.

Anyway, due to some other suggestiong in this post I have feelers out and will be seeking a different shop.
I did take the car to Saint Cloud Exhaust (I was half way there while at Tim's) and they seem to know, and understand, what it will take to build this system.