Author Topic: Checking main bearings procedure question  (Read 816 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Checking main bearings procedure question
« on: August 06, 2021, 09:03:55 AM »
Using a bore gauge to check bearing clearances, I have a standard Mitutoyo bore gauge (about a foot long), not the longer Sunnen types where you can check #5 main but the gauge is still outside the block. 

I've already done the checks, but for future reference, do you guys torque down all the mains and just struggle feeding the bore gauge through the mains to take readings on #5/#4, or do you just torque up #5, check it...then install #4 and work forward so that you're not fighting the gauge through the main bores?   I did them all at once figuring I wanted it torqued as it would be assembled and flexing the block accordingly, but curious if it's OK doing it the other way. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Checking main bearings procedure question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
You can check one at a time.  The long bore mics are for guys who do machine work and have the blocks on a line hone machine. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
You can check one at a time.  The long bore mics are for guys who do machine work and have the blocks on a line hone machine.

Thanks. It was a pain in the butt trying not to drag the knurled lock screw across the bearings. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »
You can purchase extensions for Mitutoyo bore gages.  5", 10", 30" long.

(optional accys in the middle of the page)
https://mitutoyotoolsales.com/product/bore-gauges-series-511-standard-type/

I assume you have a 511 series?  That is what we use at my shop.  We use the long extensions(750mm) for what we need to do.  Gets pricey though.
I have a custom built unit that reaches 16ft!  It uses Mitutoyo bore gage parts on extendable aluminum poles, along with a linear gauge and digital readout.  Granted typically we are not dealing in tenths of a thousandths for the most part on larger pieces.  We work with injection molding screws/barrels.  Clearances are a bit broader then an engine, unless it's a small 1" diameter screw where we are dealing with .002/003 clearance.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:46:14 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 01:13:16 PM »
Thanks for the link, I didn't know they existed.  Man, they are proud of them!