Author Topic: Officially homeless  (Read 4361 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Officially homeless
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
My wife and I talk quite a bit about getting out of Colorado, only thing holding us back at this point is family. It's a situation here where you have one large centralized population of people that make the rules for the whole entire state. Tennessee is on my mind quite a bit. I went and visited Blair while he was working on my engine and reallllly liked that area. We're also huge fans of Montana, but not sure if I could stand the extra long winters (I get crabby enough as it is).
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »
I hear you.
Same for Calif. Two cities control the entire state. I feel for the farmers and ranchers.
I have family and a lot of friends in Tennessee so I’m very comfortable here.
Not to mention there is a drag strip pretty darn close to where I’m going to live. Heaven.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
It's a drag about your dog, Marc, and when the time comes to put them down it's really hard.

Mrs.-T and myself have been looking for a place to escape California as well. It's tough to leave here because as far as geography goes, no state can match it or even come close. From a thousand miles of coastline, to vast deserts (my favorite), to the central valley, and the mighty Sierra Nevada mountains, it has it all.
My clan moved to Los Angeles in the '50's from the coast of North Carolina because they were tired of being poor and all did very well here. Like the Beverly Hillbillys we loaded up the truck with all the uncles and aunts, granny, and great gramma, and made the great exit.
Now they are all gone except for my 90 year old mother who has dementia and is in a facility near me. I'm not moving her or leaving her here so I'm here for now.
We've made many road trips around this great country to see where we might go. We drove around the entire state of Texas (it's big!). Thought the Livingston area was nice. Have quite a few friends that have moved to Idaho. A cousin in Tennessee. Looked at Prescott Arizona too. Florida as well. My brother moved back to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

I don't have a truck 'n trailer horror story to tell, but glad yours worked out ok.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »
It’s a beautiful state for sure Tommy (when it’s not on fire ::) ).
Just to give an idea about retired folks and Calif cost of living. We spent $1600 and change every six months for car insurance in Cali.
In Tennessee the very same cars and same coverage are costing us $400 and change. Set, match, win.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

mike7570

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 12:59:36 PM »
It’s funny you bring up Laurel and Hardy Doug. As I was out on the road doing repairs I was cursing myself for being in a situation like the Laurel and Hardy of car culture, Freiburger and Finnegan.
I should tell you about the time the removable steering wheel came off on my super-gas car as soon as the trans brake button was released! I wasn't driving at the time (had a partner)
It was a butt pucker moment, lucky he didn't hit anything.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »
It’s a beautiful state for sure Tommy (when it’s not on fire ::) ).
Just to give an idea about retired folks and Calif cost of living. We spent $1600 and change every six months for car insurance in Cali.
In Tennessee the very same cars and same coverage are costing us $400 and change. Set, match, win.

Yeah.
My brother has a nice home in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. He says they lock your property taxes at $650 a year after you turn 65 there. Mine are 5 times that much for a similar size house. Oh, I paid $4.45 a gallon for regular gas this morning as well.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
So sorry to hear about the dog.  I grew up with LOTS of animals, cats, dogs, bunnies, turtle, fish, gerbils, etc.  Always sad to loose one.  I've had my Amazon blue front parrot for just over 30 yrs.  He can be a PITA, but cool too.  I call him my eternal 2 yr old:  Always have to feed him, always have to clean up after him and he'll never move out!

I lost steering on my '70 F100 about 30 yrs ago.  Backed into the driveway and just as I got it straightened out...whoosh...the wheel just went round and round!  The cab mounts were bad, it sagged and just twisted that rag joint til it gave up.  Luckily I was in the driveway.

Last time I moved was 2004.  I made many a trip using my Mack and 40ft Haulmark trailer.  Just back up and pack it up and make a trip every night.  Luckily I was only going 30 minutes away!  I couldn't imagine 2500 miles!
Larry

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
Marc, im in Cookeville if ever out for a ride hollar at me. Thanks Lance

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2021, 09:05:42 AM »
Will do Lance.
Once I get the mustang here (it’s in a friends garage for now) I have to get it out on the road for tuning.
LA was horrible for that.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »
It’s funny you bring up Laurel and Hardy Doug. As I was out on the road doing repairs I was cursing myself for being in a situation like the Laurel and Hardy of car culture, Freiburger and Finnegan.
I should tell you about the time the removable steering wheel came off on my super-gas car as soon as the trans brake button was released! I wasn't driving at the time (had a partner)
I double dog dare any racer to say they've never done that LOL.  You do it once, after that it's the push-n-pull to make sure that thing is on there!

410bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »
So sorry about your pup, Marc. As others have said, it sucks losing a beloved pet--they are truly family members.

Brent, my condolences to you too regarding your kitty. I lost one of mine in November of 2019. He was truly a special guy. He was only 6 and passed in my arms. I was devastated. I've lost so many over my lifetime, and it never gets any easier.

Marc, that not being able to steer deal had to be one of the most helpless, scary, eerie feelings ever!  :o

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2021, 12:13:19 AM »

Here is one of those magic moments caught on video!: https://youtu.be/ilaBdBCUaOo?t=28