Author Topic: Officially homeless  (Read 4365 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: Officially homeless
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about Cammer. It's really tough to lose an animal that's part of the family.

Having a steering wheel that spins in your hand should be left to an arcade game. I would have needed a clean pair of shorts after that. Great idea on a car hauler to move with. It's amazing how many family treasures and worldly possessions we can accumulate!!

As long as you keep the station wagon, you will never be homeless ;D
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »
I feel your pain Marc. we lost one of the wiener dogs last Thursday. Same thing, had a stroke early in the day, seemed to recover only to have another later. Was taking her to the ER when she died in my wife's arms. No suffering just went to sleep. Buried her Friday only to dig her back up on Sat. because my wife decided she wanted her cremated and a necklace made with some of her ashes. Other than the grand kids, The dogs are her life. As for the loss of steering, you will relive that nightmare in your dreams and wake up in a sweat. Best of luck in Tenn.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 02:12:43 PM »
Yeah Chris, I did 3 loads of around 18,500 -18,750 total. I ended up cutting out the section of the 40 from the Colorado river to Flagstaff. It is a complete bitch so I added 2 hrs to the trip just to get around it. As you said the potholes can throw you into another lane in the air. The rear window of my Fairlane was shattered. I only had it taped in with duct tape. Didn’t work. It’s like a wagon trail out there in some spots.
I ended up checking that damn set screw at every fill up until the last trip. Then every other. After the beating it took I’m pretty sure it’s in forever.
Thanks guys for your sentiments over Cam. I appreciate it.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

mike7570

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 03:27:42 PM »
Good luck in Tennessee, I plan to escape California in about a year or two. I just made some scouting trips to Prescott AZ. that's one of our considerations. Next scouting trips are planned for Minden NV area.
I drove the I-40 to flagstaff about 7 or 8 years ago and it about shook the cabinets out of my motorhome. They still haven't fixed it in all those years?  Sorry to hear about your dog, they truly are part of the family.
I guess we all have a truck story so I'll throw mine in. My F250 was a stick and the clutch pedal was flexing the firewall and bracket and needed some reinforcement. I didn't have time for it so I dropped it off at the local dealer and they took care of it. They called me to pick it up and the clutch was good so I paid the bill and left the dealer on a 6 lane wide major street. I get a few blocks away and making a turn the entire steering column falls from the dash in my lap. Someone only finger tightened a bolt or two from the column to the bottom of the dash. I could still steer but the play was massive and the column wasn't bolted to anything except at the bottom of the shaft. 

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »
did you call the shop you had the work done at or were you not going there again .

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »
Again, good luck in Tenn.

So sorry to hear about your puppy. Our little one is almost 14, blind and deaf however still hanging in there. Lots of extra work for us but worth it. As long as she does not seem to be struggling with it or in pain...

Funny, but like Mike we have been to Minden, NV and Prescott, AZ is on our radar to visit next. Most of you will get this; hard to leave our 5 acres w/ oversize garage and detached shop. Maybe CA is worth it...NOT!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 04:02:13 PM »
Sorry about your pooch too Eric. It’s a rough deal. I know how you two feel.

I have no idea where the work was done before gdaddy. I bought this truck from a friend who’s brother owned it. The brother passed away and she sold me his truck. It was my fault for not finding the problem before hand. I don’t remember if I saw that it was there and then it came out or if it was missing the whole time. The last two months of my life have been a whirlwind so I may have just missed it when I checked the truck over.
I found things like bad tie rods so I went over it pretty well. Stuff happens I guess.

Yeah Mike it was just time for me. Everyone has their own alarm/timing bells. Where we lived it was getting bad.

machyoung I like both Minden and Prescott. I had to get out just so I COULD have a detached shop. No room where I was.
Cam was 14 also. Deaf and losing his sight but still getting around and not in pain. Until the stroke. It was the only call to make.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:04:25 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »
>I had to get out just so I COULD have a detached shop. No room where I was.

This is a huge factor for me. With all the grandkids in NM now, gran-mama ain't happy.  So...there may come a time in the next few years where I won't need that zero turn mower.  Can't mow rocks and sand.   ;D 

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »
Sorry for your loss Marc. We buried our 16yo house dog a few years ago and it was rough. You definitely had someone looking over you on that steering incident. Glad to have you on this side of the country.

mike7570

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »
did you call the shop you had the work done at or were you not going there again .
Never went back, hand tightened them enough to get me home.    (me or Marc  ;D)
Machyoung, I'm on 5 acres also but California is just getting too expensive for a soon to be retired 65yr old. The grandkids are here so about as far as I can go with my wife is half a day drive or so.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 06:30:25 PM by mike7570 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 09:25:53 PM »
My F250 was a stick and the clutch pedal was flexing the firewall and bracket and needed some reinforcement. I didn't have time for it so I dropped it off at the local dealer and they took care of it. They called me to pick it up and the clutch was good so I paid the bill and left the dealer on a 6 lane wide major street. I get a few blocks away and making a turn the entire steering column falls from the dash in my lap. Someone only finger tightened a bolt or two from the column to the bottom of the dash. I could still steer but the play was massive and the column wasn't bolted to anything except at the bottom of the shaft.

NOT trying to make light of this, as it was a serious situation, but as I got to the end of it, I pictured a Laurel and Hardy scene in some old beat up Model T. Steering column flying around as they tried to control the car. I probably would have given them a call at the least. Mistakes like that should be called out, and whoever did the work should be made aware of the severity of their mistake.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2021, 05:53:05 AM »
It’s funny you bring up Laurel and Hardy Doug. As I was out on the road doing repairs I was cursing myself for being in a situation like the Laurel and Hardy of car culture, Freiburger and Finnegan.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2021, 07:01:54 AM »
Sorry for the loss of your dog.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2021, 08:35:22 AM »
Marc, so no more Wheel and Jeopardy!  Big congrats on your move to Tenn.  The state has a lot to offer as I'm sure you're finding out.  4 seasons, lush greenery, rolling hills, and friendly folks! 

Don't beat yourself up about the truck problem, it happens to all of us.  Your mechanical ability and sense of humor got you through it.  I'm a SoCal native too.  The family and I left there for good in '89 when my petroleum industry employer relocated from Irvine to Houston.  Give yourselves time to adjust and in finding a new place.  Looking forward to hearing about your new shop!  :)
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »
Thanks Bruce
I can’t wait to get into a real shop.
I’m not beating myself up over the incident. Shit happens.
After the oh shit moment it was actually fun to figure out how to get it all done. An adventure if you will.
Tennessee is great.
Miss my dogs face asking me if I’m gonna finish that piece of toast or not. ;D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428