Author Topic: Installing an FE main stud girdle  (Read 6092 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Installing an FE main stud girdle
« on: July 23, 2021, 02:29:35 PM »
On my 390 stroker project in the Member Projects section I had been looking to use a main stud girdle, but couldn't find one available at the time I wanted to do it, so I went with crossbolted main caps instead.  They were expensive, and a real pain to install.  I wanted to try installing a girdle as a comparison, and it turned out that one of my cylinder head customers was going to use a 390 block and put a girdle on it.  I offered to install it for him at no cost because I wanted to see how difficult it would be.  He was able to find a girdle like the one I wanted to use, so last week he drove up to my place and dropped off the block and the girdle and hardware.  This week during a break in the action I got his block on the CNC machine and started the installation.

My plan was to precisely indicate the height location of the five main cap registers in the block, then shim up the block to make them as level as possible.  From there I wanted to cut a few thousandths off the pan rail, in order to make sure that it was square with the main cap registers before machining the caps and bolting on the girdle.  I had been told that the oil pan rail would not necessarily be square with the main cap registers, and in order to make the girdle a nice fit I wanted to make sure that it was.

By the way, the directions that came with the girdle didn't suggest anything like this, basically saying to use the oil pan rail as it was.  This didn't sound right to me, since if the pan rail turned out not to be square with the main cap registers the girdle would have to deform to fit. 

Anyway, I set the block up on the CNC table, resting with the main cap registers facing up and roughly aligned square with the table, clamped it in place, and started measuring the height of the main cap registers.  This was done with an arbitrary Z axis setting; all I was interested in was how the main register heights compared with each other.  I figured that they would all be very close, and I was surprised at how close they actually were.  On the right side of the block, they were all within 0.002" of each other, and the left side was only a little worse:

On average the left side of the block looked just a couple thousandths higher than the right side of the block, which I thought was pretty good given that the block was sitting upside down, and relying on the squareness of the end rails relative to the main cap registers.  In order to make the main cap registers as level as possible, I used some .004" shim stock under the right side of the block's end rails on each end.  I remeasured and got the following results:

This brought the height of the #2 and #3 main cap registers just about the same, and #4 was only off by a thousandth.  #5 was off by almost 0.005", but that wasn't a concern because the girdle doesn't tie into the  #5 main cap.  The left side of #1 was about 0.004" higher than the right side, and I figured I could compensate for that with the spacers.

Now that the main registers were as squared up as I could make them, I measured the height of the oil pan rail in the four corners of the block:

These results were not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe; worst case variation was only about 0.010", and since the distances across the block were much greater than the distances across the main cap registers, it really wasn't that bad.  Nevertheless, I set up my 3" facing mill and took about 0.012" off the oil pan rail, to square it up with the main cap registers:

This whole process, from getting the block fixtured on the CNC machine, to cutting the pain rail, took about an hour and half.  No big deal.

Next I took caps 1 through 4 and put them into the vise on my smaller CNC machine.  I indicated off the ways of the vise in the Z axis, and then indicated on each main cap bolt hole to find it's center.  Then I wrote a short CNC program to spot face the bolt holes in the top of the caps, to make them all exactly the same height.  I tried to go to a 2.5" height from the bottom of the caps up to the spot face, but it turned out that one of the caps was a little lower than that, so I went down to a height of 2.475" to get all the spot faces on the caps exactly the same height from the bottom of the caps.  It took about an hour to machine the caps.

Another quick aside is that the manufacturer provides a spacer between the cap and the girdle that is a single piece strap for each cap, with two holes in it.  They tell you to bolt the girdle on the block, then measure the distance from the main cap registers up to the girdle, subtract the thickness of the strap, and machine the whole top of the cap to get the height to that dimension.  I also did not like this idea, it seemed to me that getting a precise measurement of this distance would be problematic, and also machining any more off the cap than necessary would limit the strength of the cap.  So I elected not to use the straps, and decided to make up some donut spacers instead.

With the block still fixtured on the CNC machine, I measured the distance between the main cap registers and the oil pan rail, subtracted the 2.475" distance from the cap base to the spot face, and found that I needed spacers about 0.182" thick.  Due to slight variations in the height of the registers, I ended up machining spacers of slightly different thicknesses, ranging from 0.180" to 0.184".  This was the most time consuming part of the project, and hindsight being 20/20, I can think of a much easier way to do this; more on that shortly.  It took me about 3 hours to get these 8 donut spacers machined:

From there I assembled the main studs in the block.  The stud kit included two studs that were shorter than the other eight, for use in the #5 cap, but actually they were still too long to be used, and even with the presence of the girdle they would stick up above the oil pan rail.  The instructions said they "may" need to be cut to fit  ::)  Anyway, I had known about this issue and had the block owner buy some special, shorter studs for the #5 cap.  To make the stud washers and nuts fit, I also counterbored the #5 cap 0.275".  I installed the studs, the caps, and the spacers in the correct location to make them all the same height, then finally I installed the oil pan studs that came with the kit; here's a picture of how the block looked at this point:

The girdle fit nicely down on the block, and in fact it could be wiggled around a little; probably the holes for the studs are slightly oversize.  The main stud washers and nuts were installed next.  The kit comes with some thin nuts that fit into the counterbored areas of the girdle.  I found that the counterbored holes were too small for my 3/8 drive 1/2" socket to fit, so I couldn't use that to tighten the nuts; I ended up going to a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket to get them tight. 

The last thing I did was to machine a couple of precision holes for some 3/8" diameter steel pins, in order to positively fixture the girdle on the pain rail.  I was uncomfortable with the fact that the girdle could slide around some when it was placed over the studs, and despite being clamped down, I wanted a more positive location for it.  So I machined two holes through the girdle and into the block, and will install some steel pins to lock it into a fixed position.  Here's a photo of one of the holes:

Having installed one of these now, I can say by comparison it is a much easier installation than the cross bolted caps.  With the crossbolted caps, the block has to be perfectly aligned in the X axis of the mill, and also perfectly machined to make the caps fit properly.  Then, the block has to be set up on the machine rotated 90 degrees along the X axis to drill the holes for the cross bolts on one side, then it has to be set up at -90 degrees to drill the crossbolt holes on the other side.  This is a ton of setup work, and horsing the block around to these different positions, and then fixturing it in those positions, is very time consuming.  Not to mention tapping the cross bolt holes in the caps.

Despite being more expensive by around $200, and requiring much more expensive machine work, the cross bolted caps are probably more rigid than the standard caps using a girdle.  My take on this though is that given the cylinder wall and main web thickness of a 390, the cross bolted caps may be overkill.  I'm pretty sure that the girdle will make the block able to withstand 650-700 HP, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to go beyond that with a 390 block anyway.

One issue with the girdle that I don't like is that the spacers have to be kept in the same position, in order to maintain minimum stress on the girdle.  Since they are slightly different thicknesses, if you mix them up you may impart a twist into the girdle when it is assembled.  I thought I was going to be able to address this by just stamping or scribing each spacer with it's position, but that didn't turn out to be practical; the steel was not easy to scribe, and when I tested stamping an extra spacer, it raised the material around the stamp mark and changed the thickness.  So the spacers need to be carefully marked when removed, and then replaced in the same spot.

Another concern with the girdle is that if you want to run a windage tray, it is going to be spaced 3/8" farther from the crank, making it a little less effective.

Speaking of the spacers, if I was going to do this project again, I'd take advantage of the precise ring shims available from McMaster Carr.  For example, they have a 0.188" thick spacer with a thickness tolerance of +/- 0.007", and they have .001" and .002" thick ring spacers, with thickness tolerances of much less than .001".  Having a selection of those on hand, and cutting the main cap spot faces just a little deeper than I did, would allow these off the shelf shims to be used as the spacers, taking the majority of time out of this project.  If I ever do another one of these, that's what I'll do.

One last comment is that after this work is done, the block should be align honed, if it hasn't been already.  Sometimes the machine shop will take a few thousandths off the bottom of the caps to align hone the main saddle.  If that happens, then some of those really small shims mentioned previously will have to be added to the shims that are already in place between the girdle and the caps.  For example, if the shop takes .002" off the bottom of each cap, then a 0.002" shim should be installed with each spacer.  But again, since those shims are readily available, no big deal.

I hope this quick tutorial will help if you are considering a girdle for your engine.  Anybody with a vertical mill can do this work, although it is a little easier with CNC, and it seems like a good upgrade for a 390 or 428 block that is headed for serious horsepower.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 03:39:27 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: Installing an FE main stud girdle
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »
You definitely went the extra mile on that installation.  Next time I have a block that needs free work, I'll keep you in mind  ;D

Question - How much torque were you able to get on those cap nuts with that little 1/4" drive setup?  You can get thin wall sockets for this purpose, or you can get ugly and grind a spare one down.

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 08:26:39 PM »
Just spitballing here for fun, without a quality FEA really hard to know whats what.  Not criticizing your work AT ALL here Jay.

I wonder if things would be more rigid if pinned on both sides at each cap?
Don't care how tight fasteners are thermal expansion is a mighty beast to slay much less all the dynamic loading.
Wonder if a knurl of sorts for a surface finish on mating surfaces would truly make it behave more like one piece of material once clamped?  Or maybe one wants the plate to slide a bit due to thermals so it does not distort?

I've heard the blocks split between the cam and main bearings, where do we feel the weakest cross sections are contributing to instability and failure? The failure point is down the middle but what is giving up?  Or is the girdlefor some other failure mode?

Like I said, just peanut gallery thoughts.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 09:02:07 PM »
You definitely went the extra mile on that installation.  Next time I have a block that needs free work, I'll keep you in mind  ;D

Question - How much torque were you able to get on those cap nuts with that little 1/4" drive setup?  You can get thin wall sockets for this purpose, or you can get ugly and grind a spare one down.

- Bill

Man, I shouldn't have said anything about free block work LOL!  I didn't torque those nuts to a specific spec Bill, just tightened them kind of like you would with a pan bolt.  The girdle is going to have to come off anyway at some point if the block is aligned honed, so I didn't bother with a complete torquing sequence.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 09:29:52 PM »
Just spitballing here for fun, without a quality FEA really hard to know whats what.  Not criticizing your work AT ALL here Jay.

I wonder if things would be more rigid if pinned on both sides at each cap?
Don't care how tight fasteners are thermal expansion is a mighty beast to slay much less all the dynamic loading.
Wonder if a knurl of sorts for a surface finish on mating surfaces would truly make it behave more like one piece of material once clamped?  Or maybe one wants the plate to slide a bit due to thermals so it does not distort?

I've heard the blocks split between the cam and main bearings, where do we feel the weakest cross sections are contributing to instability and failure? The failure point is down the middle but what is giving up?  Or is the girdlefor some other failure mode?

Like I said, just peanut gallery thoughts.

I was actually going to do what you are suggesting, because I think more of those pins would be better.  The problem is that the thickness of the block casting at the pan rail, across from the main caps, isn't great; not a lot of meat there.  I wanted to put the pins into some locations that were really rigid, so going to the ends of the block looked like the best solution to me.

As I understand the failure mechanism of a two bolt FE block, the #2 and #4 caps will twist a little, in high load situations, eventually causing a crack along the oil hole that runs from the main saddle to the cam bearing bores.  I think the girdle is well positioned to resist that kind of movement and prevent the cracks, provided that the torque on the main studs is strong enough to keep the whole "sandwich" of the girdle, spacers, caps, and block together.  If you weren't confident of that, one thing that could be done is to put a 1/4" steel pin down through the girdle, the spacer, and the cap, right next to each main cap bolt hole.  You could also pin the caps to the block, at the registers.  But these modifications would be time consuming and expensive, and would also probably weaken the whole assembly somewhat.  I think the 110 foot pounds of torque on those studs is strong enough to keep the assembly rigid.

By the way, the blocks that usually split in half are factory 289 and 302 small blocks; there are numerous examples of those blocks breaking in half right along the main web if pushed much higher than 500 HP.  I've never seen, or heard of, an FE block that has actually split totally in half, but cracks along the #2 and #4 main saddle are relatively common.

One last comment is that a couple of my customers, one of whom is a road racer in New Zealand, have told me that they cannot keep a 390 block together for a season of racing unless they install a girdle.  So I think the idea of a girdle to stabilize the main web is pretty well proven; it is the implementation that can be a problem. 
Jay Brown

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »
As usual, you tread where no man has gone ---and then talked about it. Most sincere thanks for all your efforts.

KS

winr1

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:49:12 PM »
Thanks Jay !!

Ricky.

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 01:23:45 AM »
What if that girdle would be say inch and A half thick.
Mill A pocket for oil pump breathing/oil/pipe holes beetween caps,plate and sump to keep oil inside or just plate if dry sump.
Definently not worth if you pay for the labor but if you have A mill and sparetime (and couple of turbos to split the cylinder walls;))
Mikko

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 06:36:03 AM »
That is pretty much the process we use to install a girdle here the few times we have done it.  Your block is/was better than some we have seen.

Seems like it takes us about the same time as installing cross bolt caps.  If you are more concerned with functionality than cosmetics with cross bolt installation, you can slide the mill across the inside and the outside of the pan rail leaving a straight and constant thickness flat surface on both side of the rail.  Then the lateral cross bolt holes can be drilled manually with a simple fixture if you don't want to rotate the block back and forth.

Back to girdle installation - we mill and spot face the caps after installing them to try and get the needed spacers to the same thickness if possible.  Simplifies engine assembly and future service.

Since you are clamp loading the girdle with the mains you really do need to have the whole enchilada as near to flat as possible - we see a half thou clearance change on 427 block just by torquing the cross bolts - and those are set to near zero fit between the spacers and the caps.  And installion process and location needs to be repeatable in service.

You can add dowels to the pan rails at any place even if rather thin.  They are assembly location devices and should not see lateral loads once installed.

Problem I have with girdles is that - by the time you buy one and have a shop install it at retail prices for the average guy - you are approaching half the cost of an aftermarket 427 block.  That kinda negates the reason for starting with a 390 in the first place since the 427 is a far better product by every measurement.  If you have a mill and the ability to do the installation your self that comment does not apply.  Just be aware that the girdle is not a "pull it out of the box and bolt it on" deal as some information might have folks believe.

Time for me to get back to moving stuff - - relocating the shop....

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 07:07:36 AM »
You can really get into a tail-chasing scenario with them.  The block really needs to be align honed before hand so that the cap mating surfaces would be "prepped" before you start to machine the tops of the caps and fit the girdle, then you need to align hone the entire assembly once installed (or at least bore gauge the mains again) so that there are no chances that the clamping of the girdle affects the main bore alignment.  Pinning the girdle is a good idea and would probably help some there so that there is no guesswork on pulling the girdle on and off. 

I agree with Barry that I think you got a "good" block.  I've seen some really whopper-jawed factory machine work come through here.  Deck surfaces off .020" from front to back, etc. 

Combining all of this with the fact that you have a mating surface that's not gasketed, having to potentially port match the oil pump hole in the girdle, run a longer pump drive, having the pan moved down away from the block the thickness of the girdle, etc., I'm just not a big fan of them.  I'd much rather see cross bolted caps (even if just on #2 and #4 only).   I'm not even a fan of oil pan studs simply because the oil pan manufacturers can't get their junk together enough to put all the holes in the pan rails in the same spots every time.  That's another soap box for another time.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »
Jay, as for marking spacers have you tried a vibrating hand-held engraver?  Seems like you could mark the spacers on the sides for girdle or crossbolts without distorting them. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
That is pretty much the process we use to install a girdle here the few times we have done it.  Your block is/was better than some we have seen.

Seems like it takes us about the same time as installing cross bolt caps.  If you are more concerned with functionality than cosmetics with cross bolt installation, you can slide the mill across the inside and the outside of the pan rail leaving a straight and constant thickness flat surface on both side of the rail.  Then the lateral cross bolt holes can be drilled manually with a simple fixture if you don't want to rotate the block back and forth.

Back to girdle installation - we mill and spot face the caps after installing them to try and get the needed spacers to the same thickness if possible.  Simplifies engine assembly and future service.

Since you are clamp loading the girdle with the mains you really do need to have the whole enchilada as near to flat as possible - we see a half thou clearance change on 427 block just by torquing the cross bolts - and those are set to near zero fit between the spacers and the caps.  And installion process and location needs to be repeatable in service.

You can add dowels to the pan rails at any place even if rather thin.  They are assembly location devices and should not see lateral loads once installed.

Problem I have with girdles is that - by the time you buy one and have a shop install it at retail prices for the average guy - you are approaching half the cost of an aftermarket 427 block.  That kinda negates the reason for starting with a 390 in the first place since the 427 is a far better product by every measurement.  If you have a mill and the ability to do the installation your self that comment does not apply.  Just be aware that the girdle is not a "pull it out of the box and bolt it on" deal as some information might have folks believe.

Time for me to get back to moving stuff - - relocating the shop....

Barry, thanks for the comments.  It's interesting that you and Brent both say that this was a good block to start with.  I'm surprised by that; I kind of figured that indicating off the main registers on any block would show them all to be pretty close to flat.  I've got to believe that the main registers are all machined in one pass at the factory; how could they be way off?  Maybe running for 100,000+ miles in the car or truck warps or twists the block?  The oil pan rail being off kilter from the main registers makes sense, though...

I can see that if there was a fixture available to drill the crossbolt holes in the right location, and square to the side of the block, and if the fixture could also be used to spotface the holes, the difference between machining for the crossbolt caps and the girdle would be negligible.  I imagine you have constructed a fixture like that, and probably a few other engine builders have them, but most don't, so I think a guy taking his block in for crossbolt installation to his local shop would probably be stuck with paying a pretty high labor bill.  It took me over 10 hours to install the crossbolt caps on my engine, and at today's labor rates that would be around $1000.  It only took me half as long to do the girdle.

As far as the cost goes, I think that the aftermarket blocks start at around $3800, and they need the same align hone and block deck work that a factory block would need.  So, if you find a usable 390 block for $300, buy the girdle for $450, and then spend $500 to get it installed, you are only about a third the cost of an aftermarket block.  Seems like saving $2500, or even $2000, on the engine build would be a strong motivator for a lot of guys.

Also on the dowel pins, I actually was concerned that the girdle might see lateral loads.  It really shouldn't, but I've seen plenty of unusual failures over the years, so in case it did want to move I wanted a positive alignment mechanism, not just those oil pan studs clamping it to the block.  Maybe not necessary, but you never know...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
Jay, as for marking spacers have you tried a vibrating hand-held engraver?  Seems like you could mark the spacers on the sides for girdle or crossbolts without distorting them.

I don't have one of those and have never used one, but if that is the same tool that is used to mark the factory 427 crossbolt spacers, then it would probably work.
Jay Brown

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »

I don't have one of those and have never used one, but if that is the same tool that is used to mark the factory 427 crossbolt spacers, then it would probably work.

I believe that is the tool used to mark the cross-bolt spacers.  The first time I took my 427 apart, I didn't know the spacers were fitted to each location.  Fortunately, when it went back together, we found the markings.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
Well - I'm the guy that cannonballed up to Jay's place. Just couldn't pass up the offer for some free machine work and had time to hunt down a girdle. I wasn't going to mention the "free" part but it's out there now. Thanks again Jay for the work and also the tour of your work shop. Very impressive and was nice to meet you!

The block is my D3TE MCC "105" block and good to here that it's measuring in decent shape. Girdle kit is from Concept Design Engineer LLC. I.e. Tim on Ebay but purchased secondhand. I will be documenting the main bores and putting my straight edge to use but went down this path assuming a line hone and additional shims will be needed. Cost, Reliability, Value etc. are factors for me like most people. Finding that balance is always a struggle but so far I have met and done business with lots of good folks in the FE community.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO