Author Topic: Opentracker products for Fairlane?  (Read 5368 times)

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Re: Opentracker products for Fairlane?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »
That’s the reason for the roller lower control arm and some type of free movement on the strut rod. No bind.
You can add 1/4” of shim to the forward upper control arm bolt to preset caster without binding the lower control arm. Don’t go more shim unless you have soft upper shock bushings or bearing. IIRC the Fairlane uses a stud upper shock so again a softer bushing.
Lance H

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 11:06:54 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice, I just got off the phone with Control Freak, sounds like a pretty good option. Reasonable price, easily assembled, with a lot of adjustments. What do you guys think of their products? I’m leaning that way. Going to get the car corner weights next Tuesday to determine spring rates.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »
I’m leaning towards them as well.  I love the idea of the open tracker products, but it appears you’ll spend at least the same money as the control freak parts. I don’t see the roller uppers on the open tracker web sight either. Only the Cheater set up.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 12:59:55 PM »
“Cheater” is the uppers.
Roller spring perch bolts to the upper control arm.
Lance H

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
Correct, they also have a control arm that uses a roller bearing at the pivot instead of a bushing if I’m not mistaken.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 06:00:00 PM »
Jared that sounds like a great setup, I was tempted to do an IFS, I really want to make this car work without cutting it up any more.  It seems the stock Eliminator guys go straight, and I know none of Dick Brannan’s cars got Morrison front clips. I like the idea of the factory rollerized components. I like the simplicity of the freakride parts, because you’re just done with it.

Thanks. I'm somewhat old school and I liked the idea of stock suspension, so I went this route and there are plenty other guys out there making it work.

I have some homemade flat upper shock plates, Opentracker bearing kit for the stock upper arms, Opentracker roller perches, Opentracker roller idler arm, Opentracker camber lock out kit, Global West tubular lower control arms, Global West tubular tie rod adjusting sleeves, homemade adjustable strut rods with heim joints, Shelby drop, and Calvert 90/10s.
Does your setup work good? Is it more for cornering or weight transfer? My plan is to build a retro type car, something that might have been built back in my day. But with better parts.

It works alright. That's one of the things I was working on last year. I made it to the dragstrip the last two weekends they were open to test the new setup. I had 50/50 shocks in it because one of my other 90/10 shocks went bad, but now I have a new set. I also have stock replacement big block springs that have been in the car for a long time and have been trimmed down a little for ride height. I am still going to try another set of front springs and see if it helps. I didn't mention, but I am not running the sway bar either. The car is setup for street/strip and not too concerned with cornering, especially when I drive to the track on slicks...

I don’t see the roller uppers on the open tracker web sight either. Only the Cheater set up.

I bought their bearing kit and just installed it myself. It's not a very difficult job if you have a welder.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 09:06:57 PM »
I have had no direct interaction with the 'Freakride' group mentioned above, but have had experience in modifying the sort of front suspension discussed here. My reaction is to observe that 'Freakride' has a substantial amount of 'puffery' in their advertising. I'll just leave it at that unless someone has specific questions. Personally, I'd be leery of their offerings.

KS

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »
Pm sent to cammerfe

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 10:39:27 PM »
PM messages are piling up so let me comment here. The usual aftermarket A-arms seem to go for significantly more than $100. Circle track suppliers---circle track cars often damage suspension components---offer a plethora of suspension arms in various dimensions. Some can be had for less than $50. They probably won't be quite so pretty, but you can do a lot with a file and so on to clean up any weld "Un-neatness" and epoxy paint will work wonders. Good quality Heim ends and lock nuts will finish things off. And if you have access to a welder, other components can be easily assembled.

KS

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 09:42:36 AM »
My reaction is to observe that 'Freakride' has a substantial amount of 'puffery' in their advertising. I'll just leave it at that unless someone has specific questions. Personally, I'd be leery of their offerings.

KS

Same here. I also don't like that you can't even see a 'real' picture of their products, but rather they offer a CAD computer image. Sorry, but I want to actually SEE what I'm buying, not what they want it to look like. That seems dishonest at best.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 09:52:27 AM »
PM messages are piling up so let me comment here. The usual aftermarket A-arms seem to go for significantly more than $100. Circle track suppliers---circle track cars often damage suspension components---offer a plethora of suspension arms in various dimensions. Some can be had for less than $50. They probably won't be quite so pretty, but you can do a lot with a file and so on to clean up any weld "Un-neatness" and epoxy paint will work wonders. Good quality Heim ends and lock nuts will finish things off. And if you have access to a welder, other components can be easily assembled.

KS
Thanks, although I could and have before fabricate a front suspension, I have no desire if I can buy and bolt on a decent one. However I may modify the shock towers for more strength and header clearance, but not till I do the engine swap. I still have the 445 in the car.

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
My reaction is to observe that 'Freakride' has a substantial amount of 'puffery' in their advertising. I'll just leave it at that unless someone has specific questions. Personally, I'd be leery of their offerings.

KS

Same here. I also don't like that you can't even see a 'real' picture of their products, but rather they offer a CAD computer image. Sorry, but I want to actually SEE what I'm buying, not what they want it to look like. That seems dishonest at best.

That makes a lot of sense! I talked to them Friday, they said they would reach out  to some of their customers with Fairlanes and email some pictures and testimony. We’ll see if they follow through. I’m not in any hurry.

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2021, 10:27:09 AM »
that contorl freak front suspension kit looks to be a fair deal with the viking coil overs.those are not cheap by them selfs.also,a lot of adjustment in the upper control arms,so no more shimming.i would have bought that a few years ago,if i didnt modify my 64 front suspesion so much already.

mike7570

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »

KS

I like being able to see them also and for a stocker they must be "stock appearing" Opentracker was about my only choice

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:07:24 AM by mike7570 »

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
mike7570,not to change the subject,but how do the wilwood brakes work for you?manual brake  master cylinder?have you tried them on the street or track?