Author Topic: Hope you guys don't mind a carb question on a 385 series  (Read 2374 times)

57yblock

• View Profile
Hope you guys don't mind a carb question on a 385 series
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
 Edelbrock carbs on my tunnel ram

I have been building a 466 what I call a nostalgia engine for my 63 fairlane tudor. I have a weiand tunnel ram on it along with a solid Iskendarian cam and iron CJ heads Thats the basics. I have 2 600 holleys that I modified for mechanical secondary's. I got the wild idea to put a pair of 750 polished Edelbrock carbs on it for the look and hopefully to make decent power. In you guys opinion are these carbs going to cost me a lot of power over the holleys. Remember these are 600 home modified holleys with metering plates in the rear of both carbs. Without spray I am hoping it will at least approach 600 hp. I did do a lot of grinding on the intake as shown on a post from quite a while ago that I saved so it does look good. Has anybody tried the Edelbrocks on an FE like on a tunnel wedge or an Edelbrock dual quad that doesn't allow for the spacing of the holleys.

ToddK

• View Profile
Re: Hope you guys don't mind a carb question on a 385 series
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »
My only experience of using Edebrock type carbs is a pair of Carter AFB's on a crossram intake on a big block Mopar. I haven't yet used the engine on the street, it's seen dyno time only so far. The carbs are easy enough to work on, however the big problem we encountered was the carbs having no enrichment for when the secondary butterflies start opening. Holley mech secondary carbs have the acc pump for this on the secondaries. We found the engine would go very lean just as the secondaries started opening, but would recover once there was enough airflow to activate the fuel flow from the secondary circuit. We ended up having to put quite big jets in the primaries and run rich on that circuit to overcome it. Took a while for us to get our heads around it, as we were all used to playing with Holley's.

I'm sure they will work okay in your application. I think if you were chasing every last hp, you'd be better with Holley's., but the Edelbrocks will work.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Hope you guys don't mind a carb question on a 385 series
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:37 PM »
I had to run the Edelbrock carbs on a couple of the 2X4 intakes in my intake manifold tests, and didn't really have any issues with them.  Never tried them on a tunnel ram, though.  I don't see why they wouldn't work, as long as you aren't chasing every last horsepower...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC