Author Topic: High speed video of operating transparent carb  (Read 1248 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: High speed video of operating transparent carb
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 02:04:38 PM »
This was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
That guy has too much fun for sure.  Great vid.  I was a bit disappointed that as he is an engineer, he kept using the terms "suck air" when in reality is atmospheric pressure that causes the air to flow through the carb.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »
That guy has too much fun for sure.  Great vid.  I was a bit disappointed that as he is an engineer, he kept using the terms "suck air" when in reality is atmospheric pressure that causes the air to flow through the carb.

I guess it just depends on how you look at it. I never really see it that way. Same as a floor vacuum works, it "pulls" the air in, so to me it "sucks". A compressor builds pressure way above atmosphere, so atmospheric pressure really has nothing to do with that, yet it starts on the same principal of "pulling" the air in. But then I always disagree with how a wing is described also. An engineer always says that it's the low pressure area that pulls it up. But any kid that stuck his hand outside a window in a moving car can tell, you feel a great amount of pressure under your hand that pushes your hand up.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 08:13:28 AM »
An engineer always says that it's the low pressure area that pulls it up. But any kid that stuck his hand outside a window in a moving car can tell, you feel a great amount of pressure under your hand that pushes your hand up.

As an engineer with 34+ years of wind tunnel experience, I have to disagree with part of your statement.  I never say it is the low pressure area that pulls the wing up!   :)  It is the pressure differential between the top and bottom of the wing surface that contributes to lift.  There is also a momentum term that is a result of the wing deflecting/changing the direction of the air moving over it (or "as the wing moves through the air" depending on your point of reference).  The suction peak on the leading edge of the upper wing surface is generally much more pronounced than the pressure peak on the bottom.  I believe the human hand is better at feeling pressure than it is vacuum, but that is just my un-medically-educated guess!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 08:17:30 AM by 427mach1 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 10:47:06 AM »
An engineer always says that it's the low pressure area that pulls it up. But any kid that stuck his hand outside a window in a moving car can tell, you feel a great amount of pressure under your hand that pushes your hand up.

As an engineer with 34+ years of wind tunnel experience, I have to disagree with part of your statement.  I never say it is the low pressure area that pulls the wing up!   :)  It is the pressure differential between the top and bottom of the wing surface that contributes to lift.  There is also a momentum term that is a result of the wing deflecting/changing the direction of the air moving over it (or "as the wing moves through the air" depending on your point of reference).  The suction peak on the leading edge of the upper wing surface is generally much more pronounced than the pressure peak on the bottom.  I believe the human hand is better at feeling pressure than it is vacuum, but that is just my un-medically-educated guess!

In my highly uneducated world, I know that if you take a feather (or anything for that matter) and blow compressed air at it from underneath, it will travel upwards. I'll stick with my theory of pressure raising the object ;)  But I do understand that wing design has a lot to do with efficiency in lift in a forward motion. In reality, it seems that both lines of thought are true.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

bugsbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 10:33:10 PM »
Universal laws of physics. Specifically, highs (high pressure) seek lows (low pressure). Remove a valve stem and the air flows out of the tire or inner tube. Why? Because the high in the tire/tube seeks the low outside the tire/tube. If there is a high over Dayton on the weather map and a low over Toledo the wind in Lima will be out of the south. Why? Because the high in Dayton is seeking the low in Toledo so the air flows north. The high under a wing (caused by deflection) will seek the low above a wing (vacuum) and the wing will move up (lift). The high will seek the low but the wing is between them. Moving the wing up, because highs seek lows, is lift. This may be an over simplification, but universal laws of physics do not change (ie: at 5252 rpm torque and HP are ALWAYS equal).

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »

Cool ... very cool.

I'd like to see some of that high speed filming applied to the Kaase video of a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iq1B-2paCs&t=64s