Author Topic: clutch and brake pedal rebuild  (Read 1141 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
clutch and brake pedal rebuild
« on: June 05, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »
my clutch pedal goes sideways when you mash it down.i guess bushings are shot.i dont know much about it.is it a very big or complicated job to rebuild these on a 66 comet.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

winr1

Re: clutch and brake pedal rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:17:53 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=1966+Comet+brake+and+clutch+pedal+bushings&oq=1966+Comet+brake+and+clutch+pedal+bushings&aqs=chrome..69i57.17453j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Scott Drake or EClassics have bearings ..... factory are plastic bushings I believe

I put plastic bushings in my 65 F100 30 years ago, the shaft had some wear on it so it wasnt perfect but better then before

Ricky.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 12:12:56 AM »
The plastic bushings are easy enough to change. If it has worn through them and elongated the holes in the soft metal  surrounding the plastic bushings then going for the bearings is a good fix. Mustang Steve sells that too.

https://mustangsteve.com/product/bbk/

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 05:56:26 AM »
i dont know much about it.is it a very big or complicated job to rebuild these on a 66 comet.
Assuming that the architecture is the same as a mustang it’s one of those pain in the butt jobs that has to be done every now and then. There is a pedal assembly that has to come out and be rebuilt. I just got up and haven’t hit the coffee yet but iirc you have to drop the steering column to get it out. It’s all very doable but it’s a job (easy but time consuming).
If you take your time and rebuild it with bearings you’ll never have to do it again and your pedal action will be sweet.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 09:21:33 AM »
The pedal assembly on my '63 Effie was worn out. The hole in the pedal shaft was all 'wallered-out' and the rod that goes through the firewall was badly worn where it goes through the pedal shaft. I bought Hurst steel (hardened) bushings made to replace the plastic ones in the shift levers on the trans. They come, as I recall, in a package that's enough for one transmission. A little (awkward) work with a rat-tail file and the steel bushing would fit into the ragged-y hole worn in the pedal shaft. Push the steel bushing in place and -VOILA!!!-a brand new tight hole. Now make a new shaft to go through the firewall. I used Heim joints on both ends of an appropriate threaded rod. Put a bolt and a pair of washers and a nylock nut on each end where the Heim is and you're good to go. NO MORE SLOP!!!

KS

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 06:38:53 PM »
thanks
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 08:00:21 AM »
Company called “Mustang Steve “ has a roller bearing conversion that works very well. You might take a look at that. Check the diameter of the through shaft the kit may work. Or you could make your own.
Lance H