Author Topic: QuickTime bell header interference. What is this hole for?  (Read 1193 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
QuickTime bell header interference. What is this hole for?
« on: April 28, 2021, 06:37:28 AM »
There is a hole in the bell flange on the driver's side below the dowel and the bottom bolt hole. What is this for? It's below the skirt. Nothing that O know of on a FE is below that? The metal on the outside of the hole interferes with my headers so I will need to cut it off. Nice, cutting a new $900+ bell. The old Lakewood bell didn't need cutting.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: QuickTime bell header interference. What is this hole for?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »
I suspect it's for alternate clutch designs - hydraulic cylinder mounting or cable clutch stuff.  Those guys probably appreciate it being there, but us old school guys just trim it off.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
I suspect it's for alternate clutch designs - hydraulic cylinder mounting or cable clutch stuff.  Those guys probably appreciate it being there, but us old school guys just trim it off.

That makes sense, selfish me for thinking they made it custom for me  ;)
Doug Bender

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 11:07:43 AM »
Keep in mind that self modifications to a SFI bellhousing will void the SFI certification, per NHRA. That includes minor “trimming”. Technically you are supposed to send it back to the manufacturer for any modifications. For the little bit you’re talking about no tech inspector will probably notice, and even a lot of “picky” tech inspectors might notice and not say anything, but I’m just giving you a heads up. Do lots of racers do something similar?, sure. Will that little trim weaken the bellhousing?, probably not. But it’s an expensive part, I’m just giving you a heads up first before you touch it. You may also want to consider if you ever plan to send it back to the manufacturer in the future to be re-certified, some manufacturers are picky about re-certifying a modified part. I’m not a tech inspector, but I know NHRA has covered this in the National Dragster in the past. There are authorized companies that modify bellhousings for removable clutch adjustment covers, you may want to ask them, or the QuickTime tech dept. Again, before anyone flames me, am I possibly being overly alarmist?, sure, but a lot of people that don’t race a lot don’t realize this, it’s just something to consider before you start to trim.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »
That hole is for a cable actuated clutch. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 04:27:59 PM »
Keep in mind that self modifications to a SFI bellhousing will void the SFI certification, per NHRA. That includes minor “trimming”. Technically you are supposed to send it back to the manufacturer for any modifications. For the little bit you’re talking about no tech inspector will probably notice, and even a lot of “picky” tech inspectors might notice and not say anything, but I’m just giving you a heads up. Do lots of racers do something similar?, sure. Will that little trim weaken the bellhousing?, probably not. But it’s an expensive part, I’m just giving you a heads up first before you touch it. You may also want to consider if you ever plan to send it back to the manufacturer in the future to be re-certified, some manufacturers are picky about re-certifying a modified part. I’m not a tech inspector, but I know NHRA has covered this in the National Dragster in the past. There are authorized companies that modify bellhousings for removable clutch adjustment covers, you may want to ask them, or the QuickTime tech dept. Again, before anyone flames me, am I possibly being overly alarmist?, sure, but a lot of people that don’t race a lot don’t realize this, it’s just something to consider before you start to trim.
Thanks for th heads up Kevin. I doubt I'll ever need the SFI. I only bought it because Holley didn't have any non-SFI in stock and they expected it to be mid to late May.................maybe? I am a little impatient at times :-)
Doug Bender