Author Topic: Something for you Y-block guys...  (Read 4856 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Something for you Y-block guys...
« on: April 24, 2021, 07:36:15 PM »
Spent the last week pulling this out of a barn. '55 Customline 2dr, 272 3spd with overdrive. It had sat in there for about 35 years. So long that the barn had settled enough that I had to use a chainsaw to cut the bottoms of the doors off to get them open. Groundhogs had sunk the floor, but the car was originally sitting on thick oak planks....which had all but rotted away. Since it was sunk pretty good, and all 4 tires were flat, I was pretty worried about the floors and frame, but I was utterly amazed at what I found. You'll see in the pictures below. 

Rear wheels were locked up, so my old 8N was digging trenches to get it up and out of the barn. The rear wheels were just bulldozing stone, which was making it impossible to drag any distance with my small tractor. Once I got it out, I ended up having to make a cradle to put under the rear wheels just so I could drag it to where I wanted to.

It has some typical front fender rust, front and rear, and a little at the rear of the rocker and wheelwells. The doors don't sag at all, and you can close them with one finger. All the windows are smooth in their tracks. All the header panels, radiator core support, inner fenders and firewall are solid.

The car had mothballs in it for the longest time, but they had dissolved and mice had gotten at the headliner. Luckily, I don't see any damage anywhere else. Someone had put seat covers over the original seats, but the original coverings look to be in great shape. Not sure how long they would hold up though. Opening up the glovebox, it looked like new inside (NO MOUSE NEST!) and I even found the original Ford Warranty pamphlet. The rubber floormat is extremely brittle and just shatters when you push on it anywhere.

But here's where things got interesting. When I was finally able to craw under the car, I was surprised to see a thick layer of undercoating over the entire underneath. I mean over everything! The undercoating was still plyable, but once I got a finger under a spot I could just pull huge chunks off. Every single spot I pulled off, this is what I found underneath. Remember that this is a 100% original car, never damaged, never repaired, never repainted. Everything you see is factory paint.

The spare tire well, and a picture of one side of the rear trunk pan.

This is the underside of the front wheelwell, and a shot of the front panel underneath the battery area. For guys that know these cars, that is a bad rust area. Needless to say, I was just amazed!

The floorpans look the same...everywhere. I just couldn't get low enough to get a shot of them. The frame also has undercoating, so while it's surface rusted in a couple of areas at the rear, where the undercoating had recently fell off, the rest of it looks to be in amazing shape. Yes, I think I got the car out just in time!

The last time it was tagged was 1972. It ran and drove good when it was parked. Current plans, for the meantime, are to replace the entire brake system, get the engine running good (it wasn't stuck) and replace all engine rubber, put new tires on it and drive it the way it is, albeit not on rainy days. All the weatherstripping and rubber seals are in amazing shape, but I don't expect them to hold up once it sees sunlight. I'm really happy that it has overdrive, which has always been really hard to find for these older cars.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:43:46 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Something for you Y-block guys...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »
That is friggin awesome.
Unbelievable that rust hasn’t got it.
Gonna be a great car.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
what a find , I glad they are still out there , good for you with your plans .

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »
I also like the trucks in the background .

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:57:48 PM »
I also like the trucks in the background .

The bumpside dually is what I pull my car hauler with.

The dentside is a 99.9% rust free F150 with a 390. Somebody made a mess of the engine bay wiring, so I'm fixing all that. It runs perfect. Not sure what I'm going to do with it when I'm done. It should be restored, and I could use a good fullsize that gets better than 9 mpg, but I currently am paying for insurance and tags for 8 vehicles. Not sure I can afford another...lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 08:17:46 PM »
Very nice 55 Doug. Hard to find one that the front crossmember doesn't need replaced, but I'm sure this one is good. Was this in a barn on your place?
My dad is a big 55 fan and has one with a stroked 428 2x4.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 07:49:17 AM »
Great find Doug, thanks for taking the time to tell us about it. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
Wow, that's beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 08:02:11 AM »
Hey Doug  Welcome to y block world.   We just need to build a killer 312 with a 4 speed and embarrass some of the local Camaros and Fox bodies. Plenty of knowledge on how to make those run on this site. Underside of that car is amazing
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »
Can't quiet tell from photos but the quarter window looks short, could it be a coupe? In any event a very nice find.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
Sweet find ! What’s parked next to it in the first photo ?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 09:46:38 AM »
Very nice 55 Doug. Hard to find one that the front crossmember doesn't need replaced, but I'm sure this one is good. Was this in a barn on your place?
My dad is a big 55 fan and has one with a stroked 428 2x4.

Greg, yes, the front crossmember is super solid. The bottom grille cavity panel is typically rusted out on these also, but not this one. And yes, the barn sits on my property. The car had been sitting there long before I bought the place. Long story, and a long time to get my hands on it to get it out, but it finally happened.

Can't quiet tell from photos but the quarter window looks short, could it be a coupe? In any event a very nice find.

Mike, it's a Customline Sedan. A step above the Mainline. The Fairlane had a completely different top, much more streamlined, so it makes these cars look 'short', almost like the Business Coupe. The rear side windows do roll down.

Sweet find ! What’s parked next to it in the first photo ?

Eric, those are just body panels. I had a lot of sheetmetal stored in the barn. Those are 2 good doors to early/mid '60s Ford trucks and a good '65 Galaxie hood. The rest I had removed so I could get to the car.

Hey Doug  Welcome to y block world.   We just need to build a killer 312 with a 4 speed and embarrass some of the local Camaros and Fox bodies. Plenty of knowledge on how to make those run on this site. Underside of that car is amazing

Royce, besides your engine at EMC, it had been a while since I've played with a Y-block. Since I was in my early 20's, to be exact. I originally had plans of turning this into my drag car, but as you know, there's not a lot of room for a healthy FE exhaust in there, and I didn't want to cut on the car to get tires and headers on it. I decided that a serious FE drag effort would require some changes that I don't want to do to this car. I don't have access to a 312, but may try to scare one up for it. That stock 272 would struggle to keep up with todays traffic. Look forward to me picking your brain on occasion for some good Y-block info. :)

First question; what 4 spd's fit on these engines? Do you mean using an adapter and a toploader? I have a spare big in/out that I could use, but I do hate to lose that overdrive.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »
The early trans to bell housing Ford pattern works on a stick Y block. Keep yours eyes out for a 292 big truck engine cheap.. That gives you the best basics parts Some 57 heads and stock 4bbl 57 intake. and you are pretty much at 300 horse.. From there on up it's better parts and cash  lol.. it's not that hard to make 1.25 hp/cu without spending big money. Although, if your 272 is a good runner there are some improvements that should get you up in the 250 horse range without breaking the bank. A Maverick 8 inch or a 57 9 inch slides right under your car.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
no message/Great find!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:58:18 AM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »
I have some '57 heads, just wasn't aware there were differences. Got a lot of research to do, I guess. I also have a '58 9". Not sure what the difference is between '58 and '59, but I'll find out.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "The early trans to bell housing Ford pattern works on a stick Y block". What early trans are you referring to? Early toploader? Because later ones have the dual pattern, but the inputs also changed. Except for the early starter, I'm not aware of differences in the bell housings.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe