Author Topic: (Potentially) Dumb question for the experienced Mustang guys...  (Read 1281 times)

66FAIRLANE and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cjshaker

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4594
    • View Profile
Re: (Potentially) Dumb question for the experienced Mustang guys...
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2026, 08:31:14 PM »
I agree a Monte Carlo bar is needed, but top bolt interference is typical with cylinder #5, especially with the extra bracing on a CJ car. Ford never used the top/bottom bolts on those cars for that reason.

On mine, I was aware of this issue when I was restoring the body, so I took a rosebud torch and a 4x4 chunk of wood, heated it cherry red where that bolt is and beat it back against the shock tower. Usually there's about a 1/4" gap or more there where you can gain a little room. I managed to get all 16 bolts in, but that #5 top bolt still pecked at the brace, and yes, it's annoying. I fixed the problem by making a turnbuckle strap to go from the head to the sway bar mount. It's a perfect lineup, easy to make, and it stopped the pecking. It also helps the motor mount to live longer.
Doug Smith


'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

badcatt

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: (Potentially) Dumb question for the experienced Mustang guys...
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2026, 10:00:35 PM »
GerryP and cjshaker,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. As for a Monti Carlo bar, I have a Scott Drake reproduction export brace. We installed it and it fall into place. That leads me to believe the shock towers are very close to where they belong. I may still try a porta power. I'll keep looking for other ideas as I don't need to get this done tomorrow.

Phil Brown

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
I fixed the problem by making a turnbuckle strap to go from the head to the sway bar mount. It's a perfect lineup, easy to make, and it stopped the pecking. It also helps the motor mount to live longer.
It also keeps the clutch linkage happy in a three pedel car  :D