FE Power Forums

FE Power Forums => FE Technical Forum => Topic started by: 6667fan on September 19, 2026, 06:09:54 PM

Title: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: 6667fan on September 19, 2026, 06:09:54 PM
Anyone done any drilling on a Lakewood to gain access for checking their clutch air gap? I was hoping to get a dimension from a starting point. Looking to get it right the first time.
Thanks.
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: blykins on September 20, 2026, 07:06:49 AM
I can't remember exactly, hopefully someone will chime in, but I think it has to be under 3/4" to be SFI approved.  That number is stuck in my head for some reason.
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: 6667fan on September 20, 2026, 08:29:29 AM
That will leave plenty of wiggle room for a standard width feeler gauge.
Thanks for tip!
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: Rory428 on September 20, 2026, 05:02:00 PM
Unless things have changed, I am pretty sure that drilling ANY hole in a SFI certified bellhousing renders the SFI sticker invalid, and the bellhousing itself can no longer be recertified. The only exception is if the hole was put there by the original manufacturer, and was SFI certified with the hole already in place. Many have drilled a much smaller 3/8" hole in the backside of the bellhousing , for the ability to adjust static spring pressure , but to put a hole in the path of a  rotating flywheel and clutch, especially anything approaching 3/4" , is something that I would absolutely NOT do, UNLESS you have printed documentation on a NHRA letterhead stating that such a modification is acceptable. On both my FE and SB Fords, I have checked clutch air gap thru the clutch fork opening. Certainly not as convenient as a hole in the bottom, but since Lakewood no longer offers a FE scattershield , turning one into scrap metal with a drill bit is certainly not something I would consider doing.
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: blykins on September 20, 2026, 05:45:07 PM
Rory would certainly know better than me.  It's been a while since I was heavy into bellhousing sales.  Follow his advice.
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: blykins on September 20, 2026, 05:50:17 PM
FWIW, here's something I wrote up years ago on the other forum.   Take it with a grain of salt.  This was when I was in heavy contact with the owner of Quicktime.

https://www.fordfe.com/just-had-a-discussion-with-quicktime-about-their-t-t68324.html
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: 6667fan on September 21, 2026, 07:33:40 AM

My double flanged Lakewood has been whittled enough for headers & clutch linkage that it is not likely a candidate for recertification. I’m not concerned about that. A hole at the bottom in the round area would be easiest.
In the thread Brent shared, ( thanks much for that), it was mentioned that air gap could be checked through starter window.
Didn’t think of that.

Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: fekbmax on September 22, 2026, 08:29:48 PM
Did quick time ever make the can with inspection cover. ?
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: blykins on September 23, 2026, 04:33:49 AM
Yes sir.  It was an option that was able to be ordered on top of the SFI bells.
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: fekbmax on September 27, 2026, 08:41:42 PM
Hey Brent, 
Do they make a 8 1/8" can or just the 7 1/2" ?
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: blykins on September 28, 2026, 07:24:52 AM
Which dimension are you referencing, Keith?
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: fekbmax on September 28, 2026, 05:54:25 PM
Depth. Sorry. Shoulda been more clear. The standard 7 1/2" bell is to shallow to run  duel disk Hays mark 12 . Yes I could go to a more modern clutch but I been running the Hays stuff for 30 years or so and have several,  both 3 leaver and 6 leaver set ups along with a cabinet full of floaters, base springs, leavers and such. Im comfortable with these set ups and kinda want to stick with them. I'm running a spacer with a regular 7 1/2" can now but the can won't re cert now because of some modifications.  I'm hoping to run some pro stick races next season and they WILL check so I need to come up with a new bell. I have a chevy to FE adapter plate that I took down to 3/4" and planed on picking up a good used Chevy bell with inspection cover like I need that would cert. . I see those for sale for reasonable prices quite often. I could modify my pilot bearing and make that work. So anyway that's been my plan. I'd rather just have a FE can the right depth but he'll 2 years ago to get what I wanted was 2 and a half grand from Browell. I can only imagine it's went up from there. Just curious about the quick time. Even if it's only available in a 7 1/2" depth it could still be an option for me and just keep running my spacer plate. It's good to know they do offer them with the inspection/service cover.
Title: Re: Access hole for air gap check with Lakewood
Post by: blykins on September 29, 2026, 02:45:51 PM
Depth. Sorry. Shoulda been more clear. The standard 7 1/2" bell is to shallow to run  duel disk Hays mark 12 . Yes I could go to a more modern clutch but I been running the Hays stuff for 30 years or so and have several,  both 3 leaver and 6 leaver set ups along with a cabinet full of floaters, base springs, leavers and such. Im comfortable with these set ups and kinda want to stick with them. I'm running a spacer with a regular 7 1/2" can now but the can won't re cert now because of some modifications.  I'm hoping to run some pro stick races next season and they WILL check so I need to come up with a new bell. I have a chevy to FE adapter plate that I took down to 3/4" and planed on picking up a good used Chevy bell with inspection cover like I need that would cert. . I see those for sale for reasonable prices quite often. I could modify my pilot bearing and make that work. So anyway that's been my plan. I'd rather just have a FE can the right depth but he'll 2 years ago to get what I wanted was 2 and a half grand from Browell. I can only imagine it's went up from there. Just curious about the quick time. Even if it's only available in a 7 1/2" depth it could still be an option for me and just keep running my spacer plate. It's good to know they do offer them with the inspection/service cover.

Quicktimes come in two flavors:  a Toploader depth and a Tremec depth.  The Toploader bell depth is 6.430".  The deeper one is 7.050".