FE Power Forums
FE Power Forums => FE Technical Forum => Topic started by: AlanCasida on August 11, 2026, 11:28:11 AM
-
I saw this on Facebook marketplace. Seller does not give any info on the heads other than they are aluminum. The exhaust ports have been raised and bolt pattern reconfigured and there are water outlets on the front. Possibly home modified but I'm not sure. Anyone else seen anything like this?
-
I'll bet those are highly modified Dove heads.
-
Interesting exhaust ports.
-
Doves! He had some high risers the same way! Shames someone that has the ability doesnt end up with his molds!
-
Doves! He had some high risers the same way! Shames someone that has the ability doesnt end up with his molds!
Back around 2000 George Anderson of Gessford Machine shop (in Hastings, Ne) approached Jim Dove about buying his molds outright or partnering with him. At the time George had access to a state-of-the-art foundry in Nebraska that could produce a better quality product, but Jim was not interested.
-
Sadly that is largely how its always been. I think it was treated as hey look what I got and you don't. Jim was hard to get along with at times, and his QC would be considered the same. His son , and possibly a brother have been sort of over it as of late , but his son Dave has a terrible rep him self. I know Jay and Kurt tied to buy the stuff but it got blow up also. Such a shame that they would rather see it die than be used.
-
what's the center line mark on the valve stem ? Surely not rocker witness marks I would think or it's darn perfect if it is ... I bet that was a running sob , it would be nice to see flow data on these are
-
Is that some form of rev kit installed?
-
Yes, I think that is a support bar for rev kit springs. I've often thought about doing something like that with my intake adapters, but never gotten around to it. I think there would be an advantage to running a rev kit with solid roller lifters; the general theory is that the lash take-up on each cam revolution is what is hard on the lifters, and keeps them from lasting as long as hydraulic rollers. If you had a rev kit on a solid roller engine, the lash take-up would be between the pushrod and the rocker or the pushrod and the seat in the lifter, which I think would be much easier on the needle bearings and roller wheel. But, maybe the lash take-up being moved wouldn't completely solve the problem; there would still be a shock on lash take-up. Guess I'll never know until I actually try one...
-
Investigating further I found this post from 2003:
"The primary purpose is to let an engine rev higher without valve train problems. In a standard OHV configuration, each valve spring must try to control the weight and inertia of the lifter, pushrod, rocker arm, and valve. As RPM's increase, the intertia gets harder to control. One solution is to install stiffer valve springs, but that has its own set of problems. A rev kit adds a second set of springs, which control the weight and inertia of the lifter, removing a large amount of work from the valve springs (and the pushrods, since they no longer have to work so hard to keep the lifter riding on the cam). Since the lifter is one of the heaviest (if not the heaviest) part of the valvetrain, then controlling it with its own spring greatly reduces harmonic vibrations in the valvetrain at high RPM's and lets the engine rev higher."
-
I believe the "Rev-Kit", is an early ProStock Engr. design (adaption) for an FE; reinforced by the use of PSE rocker shaft end stands, retained by the "longer" cylinder head studs.
-
I think Isky used a similar idea for small block chevys' They may have called that a "rev kit" Jim Kramer
-
I believe the "Rev-Kit", is an early ProStock Engr. design (adaption) for an FE; reinforced by the use of PSE rocker shaft end stands, retained by the "longer" cylinder head studs.
Time frame would fit everything else in the picture as well!