FE Power Forums
FE Power Forums => FE Technical Forum => Topic started by: MeanGene on August 03, 2026, 12:12:50 PM
-
I seem to remember a conversion starter drive to allow a late starter and flywheel setup to be used in an early bellhousing? I have a friend who is converting a 64 Gal from the Cruiso to a 4-spd, and has purchased an early bell. I'm trying to help him with the rest of it, and avoid the early flywheel/ starter setup. Maybe something John V had?
-
I seem to recall the conversion starter drive is only needed if you use a late starter with an early flywheel.
Difference is the tooth pitch/count? between early and late.
Late starter and late flywheel should be ok.
Early bell will need a later block plate to align the starter.
-
Yep, haven't done one since the late 70's lol. IIRC the bearing retainer is larger on the later transmissions, I remember turning one down on a lathe to fit the early bell
-
while you have the bell off there is the square knob above the starter tight to the bell cast to use to mount on maching line only cut off allows most/all starters oem or others added clearance esp. if headers or high perf. starter is used--gapp/roush cut all 4 off = clearance /little lighter john
-
The newer flywheel (184 tooth) can be used with the matching 1965 and newer starter on an older (pre 1965) bellhousing. Bolts right up with no issues. He will still need the spacer plate between the block and bellhousing which he should already have. One potential problem, if he has OEM Ford 427 cast iron headers is the starter terminal contacts the headers, early 70’s pickup starter will resolve this problem.