Author Topic: Finally have the parts to assemble my 445.  (Read 3167 times)

Yellow Truck

Finally have the parts to assemble my 445.
« on: November 15, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
This is small potatoes to a lot of you, but very exciting for me. I've been waiting since April to get everything I need.
  • 390 block bored out to 4.08
  • Survival Prison Break Stroker Kit
  • 230/236 at 0.050 roller cam
  • T&D roller rockers
  • BBM heads
  • Holley Street Dominator
  • QFT SS 830
  • Super soaker 2 inch spacer
  • Milodon HV water pump
  • Melling HV oil pump

Started by putting the heads and rockers on in a test fit to see if the rockers would clear the new valve covers, check that the pushrod length checker was the right length, and check the intake runner to head port alignment. Got the intake marked and cut the runners to match, and got the plenum opened. We got the cam installed but couldn't find the Woodruff keys so had to stop for the moment.

More fun to come.

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Finally have the parts to assemble my 445.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
small potatoes make great potato salad !!   ;D .  be sure to keep us posted..
good luck and have fun..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
Have fun Paul.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
Should be a strong runner!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »
Got some more time to work on it tonight, starting to come together. First had to re-chase the head bolt holes, had done it before the machining but they were a bit gritty. Cleaned the holes and cylinders, head surface and torqued down the heads. The intake is just sitting in place, not installed. Checked the fit and surfaces - it matches nicely to the top of the head.

Got the T&D rocker assembly torqued down next:

Really need to have it run before Christmas!

Dropped the valve covers on to keep it clean, but it starts to look like an engine. Need to measure the pushrods and get them ordered. Then we can finish it up.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »
Looking very good.
Hint. Before you bolt the intake down set it in place and
cycle the engine to make sure all of the push rods clear the intake.

Yellow Truck

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
Howie - thanks. All tips are noted and if I remember, followed. What is obvious to you guys is a mind blowing revelation to me.

Spent more time than it should have taken measuring the pushrods. I eventually torqued down the T&D rockers to about 35 lbs, backed the adjusting screw all the way out, put in the measuring rod, turned out the thread till it was snug, released the rocker nuts until I could slip the rod out, and measured it with my new 12 inch vernier calipers.

Checking the four corners my heights are between 8.726 inches and 8.745. I didn't check the position of the rocker tip because everything I read and saw suggested that the Comp Cams 7902 measuring rod wouldn't stand up to the pressure of the spring and I don't have any light springs.

Now I'm pretty sure I have the lengths I was thinking of putting the rod back in tomorrow and testing the roller position. It may collapse the rod, but I don't need it now.

I'm waiting for Barry to give me direction on the length of rod to order, and any specifics I need with the roller rocker and hydraulic roller lifters. Feel free to chime in.