Author Topic: TKO600 or Gear Vender ?  (Read 2738 times)

2ndgear

• View Profile
TKO600 or Gear Vender ?
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
What I have is a 1969 Mach1 with a 445 stroker with a Big in and out wide ratio with a 3.89 locker gear and a 28 inch. tall tire. I am wanting to start to drive the car on more road trips then I use to. I am looking for thoughts on what would be the best for a overdrive. As of now my 4 speed shifts fine at 6200 rpm. I seen reports on the TKO not shifting at that rpm, even with the updated work to the blocking rings. True or False? I do know what is all involved with installing the TKO and the gear vender. One question about the GV, will the factory parking brake cable and hardware still work as before like it did with the top loader. Any input or thoughts would be great. Thanks

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: TKO600 or Gear Vender ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:06:31 PM »
The Gear Vendors install would be less expensive than the TKO and related hardware, and I've had very good luck with those units myself.  But I don't know on the parking brake cable.  The gear vendors until will make the whole transmission assembly about 12" longer than the stock assembly, and of course it will hang down a little lower in the tunnel, so it may interfere with the parking brake cable that goes across underneath the tunnel.  Seems like you ought to be able to easily fix that situation if it did come up, though...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

2ndgear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 06:50:03 AM »
Hi Jay and thanks for your input on the GV. Great job on Drag Week. I am the guy that would of went and got you some oil at union grove Wi. if need be? Anyway if I would go with the TKO I would make a bushing for the throw out bearing to accept the TKO input. This way all I would have to do is change the clutch disc and not change the pressure plate to a smaller 3 finger and then the assem. would not have to be rebalanced? I then would not have to buy a fork or throw out bearing. I am leaning towards the GV because I like the way you can shift it under load out of first gear and then shift to 2nd gear which would be 2nd high all under power. One thing I would have to do is change my main shaft to a 14 inch. shaft. As of now the trans. in the mustang is from a 1969 Fairlane which has the correct spot for the shifter but it has a main shaft of 17 inches long. Rick from GV said that they don't make a adapter for a long shaft top loader. Its not a big deal because I have had it apart before when I made it a wide ratio. I am a little afraid of the TKO and there stiff shifting problem they may have at anything over 6000 RPM. My top loader shifts good at 6200-6300 RPM. My engine peaks at 5900 RPM. Sorry for being long winded but just trying to get a handle on this before I spend money and maybe make a mistake. Thanks    Dan

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
My TKO shifts great, the issue really only exists when someone gets exited and tries to go all the way over and up when headed for 3rd.  In a TKO that puts you up against a gate in between 3rd and 5th and you end up in neutral.  A good shifter almost eliminates that, as does practice

That being said, I think the GV is a better match for you, it's easier, less fuss to install, and you dont have to trim/shape the floor.  It's very minor surgery, but the GV seems easier and if you like your TL now, you will still like it later
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch