Author Topic: For the Shelby hopefuls Parts stash on Bring-a-Trailer  (Read 1917 times)

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Re: For the Shelby hopefuls Parts stash on Bring-a-Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 02:35:31 AM »
Most likely were removed from a car that was blue in color.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
Most likely were removed from a car that was blue in color.

Funny! Yeah, likely a rear-ended car from long ago where the rest was trashed and long before the value of said parts skyrocketed. 
Bob Maag

mike7570

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 03:32:27 PM »
Not worth any more than a set of Branda fiberglass.  The quality on the original parts wasn't much better than the aftermarket parts today.
One way to tell with the hood if it's original is to look underneath (which isn't shown) original hoods used metal frames, the aftermarket one I have and others I have seen do not.
If the car was totaled and parts removed the original steering wheel is almost worth more than all the fiberglass. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:36:38 PM by mike7570 »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 02:11:49 PM »
Per the Shelby American Auto Club registry it was generally the early ‘67 cars that received the steel framed fiberglass hoods, the majority of  ‘67’s used a full fiberglass hood. There are actually a bunch of pictures on the BAT post that show the underneath of the hood. And lots of detailed pictures of the other parts. And the full fiberglass hoods used a steel insert where the hood latch goes, which is visible. I agree that the quality of the original ‘67 fiberglass parts wasn’t great, but there are often many details and construction differences between the original parts and the reproductions, for someone restoring a real ‘67 Shelby, especially one where the details matter and they’re maybe going to competitively show, there will probably be a price premium for original parts, even if they’re poor quality and needing repairs. For someone building a replica they don’t need that level of detail. There were lots of running changes to the parts on the ‘67 Shelby’s made over the course of production, so assuming these parts all came from one vehicle they may only all be “correct” for a particular time in the production year, which could limit the value, but for someone with a project car that was built in that period of time, and needs most of those pieces the value to them could skyrocket. It will be interesting to see what they bring.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

mike7570

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 04:38:24 PM »
I didn't know they came both ways, mine was a steel frame. IIRC my friends '68 had smooth fiberglass on the underside where the frame is. The after market hood I have  (see below) is not smooth but rough texture like the rest of the hood. It would be interesting to see the underside of the one for sale. I wouldn't know how to tell the difference in the rest of the pieces. Maybe the cut outs in the nose panel aren't as sloppy as the ones in mine.

mike7570

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »
Per the Shelby American Auto Club registry it was generally the early ‘67 cars that received the steel framed fiberglass hoods, the majority of  ‘67’s used a full fiberglass hood. There are actually a bunch of pictures on the BAT post that show the underneath of the hood. And lots of detailed pictures of the other parts. And the full fiberglass hoods used a steel insert where the hood latch goes, which is visible. I agree that the quality of the original ‘67 fiberglass parts wasn’t great, but there are often many details and construction differences between the original parts and the reproductions, for someone restoring a real ‘67 Shelby, especially one where the details matter and they’re maybe going to competitively show, there will probably be a price premium for original parts, even if they’re poor quality and needing repairs. For someone building a replica they don’t need that level of detail. There were lots of running changes to the parts on the ‘67 Shelby’s made over the course of production, so assuming these parts all came from one vehicle they may only all be “correct” for a particular time in the production year, which could limit the value, but for someone with a project car that was built in that period of time, and needs most of those pieces the value to them could skyrocket. It will be interesting to see what they bring.

How do you find the additional pictures?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »

How do you find the additional pictures?

I’m looking in my phone, it’s possible different browsers are set up different. For me the pictures are right there as I scroll down the page, there are over 100 of them. Maybe for you there’s something else to click? There are also questions and comments below the pictures. Here’s a screenshot where the pictures start.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 08:55:56 PM »
Photo #42 from the gallery showing the underside of the hood...

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
Quality aftermarket Shelby fiberglass is almost non-existent right now. Minimum of 10 - 12 week wait for hoods or front end parts.🤬

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 12:15:24 AM »
Pete at Orlando Mustang (the seller) answered a question about estimating the approximate VIN range of the car the parts came off of.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »
Sold for $9000!

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 03:07:38 PM »
Joel  Are you the buyer?
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »
Royce, that's too much of  project, even for me.