Author Topic: Offset or low profile distributor?  (Read 14626 times)

ToddK

• View Profile
Offset or low profile distributor?
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »
Not sure if I should post this here or in the private classifieds, but at this point I more enquiring on the availability.

I recently received the Hogan intake manifold for the race engine I am building, and it became apparent that I will require either a low profile distributor or an offset distributor. Here's my intake manifold:

Even with the recess in the forward plenum, my MSD 8594 distributor will not fit as the rear towers on the cap contact the plenum. I have ordered an offset distributor from Swartz about 5 months ago, but I have not heard anything about it since the end of July. So my question is, is there any other offset or low profile distributors available on the market? I am running a crank trigger and locked out timing, so I don't need any pick up or advance mechanism in the distributor.

I will also place a WTB ad in the classifieds.

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
Re: Offset or low profile distributor?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »
what about the ''crab style"  cap

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
I also forgot to sat how nice that Hogan intake is.  is it a m/r   or h/r.    that thing is frickin sweet.  they do such nice work

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
A crab style cap may work, but is there one available to suit a MSD 8594? I had a look at MSD's online catalog, but wasn't sure if there was one to suit.

It is a HR manifold, designed to work with my Blue Thunder HR heads. Sure is pretty, hope it works as good as it looks.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
Oooooooooh! Need a bucket for my drool. :P Very, very nice! Swartz makes a nice offset dist. that will work.

http://www.swartzracingmanifolds.com/distributors/index.htm
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »
I forgot about Swartz.  I think even just calling jegs or summit tech line I think they could help you out with that cap also.

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
I would check again with Swartz, they sure make a nice one and shouldn't take this long to build unless they are worried about out of country order and if so should've told you...............Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »
I missed the part where you said you already contacted Swartz about the distributor. I guess I was distracted by the picture, simple things amuse simple people. ;D I'm sure I've seen a picture or two of Blair using these on some of his engines. Maybe see if he has access to one?
Jared

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
Yes, I have ordered and paid for a distributor from Swartz, that was back in May. I am still waiting  for it, but need to get my engine going. I've tried emailing and phoning with no luck. Our race season starts this month, and I want to get my car going for at least part of it.

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
I should have known you would pay when ordering, odd they don't answer emails or return call.

On another note, your intake looks awesome and can see why your anxious, racing is just starting, heck here it's just ending and need to get long-underwear out soon. Hope that intake works for you, you gotta be ready after this build to start shaking that Fairlane down, should be real Fast Good Luck..............Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »
Thats the first time I have seen hogan use that type of plenum on a Ford intake. Most I have seen had the offset L shape in the front where this one look's  like they just took a base plenum that they use for "other" intakes and took a chunk  out of it. I have seen a couple FE/Hogan intakes in the past (early to mid 2000's) with the offset L shape in the front and you could squeeze  a base type dizzy with old style cap and 90* wires in.
Very nice piece no doubt but was just surprised to see the way they just chunked it out.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
Thats the first time I have seen hogan use that type of plenum on a Ford intake. Most I have seen had the offset L shape in the front where this one look's  like they just took a base plenum that they use for "other" intakes and took a chunk  out of it. I have seen a couple FE/Hogan intakes in the past (early to mid 2000's) with the offset L shape in the front and you could squeeze  a base type dizzy with old style cap and 90* wires in.
Very nice piece no doubt but was just surprised to see the way they just chunked it out.

Good point.
Jared

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
We have made an adapter to use the Chevy crab cap on a 8594.  Took some creativity but it does work

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
I've ordered a MSD crab cap, #8541. Will see what it takes to adapt it when I get it on Friday.

63gal427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 01:14:26 AM »
Did you contact Hogans and see what they have to say about it?
Surely they should have notched out the front of the intake enough to fit all types of distributors.