Author Topic: AOD behind an FE?  (Read 5437 times)

westcoastgalaxie

• View Profile
AOD behind an FE?
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »
What can they handle TQ wise? I see some vendors offering 600-700 hp units but no torque figures. I like the idea of just going OD tranny vs gear vendors. But the 4R70W and higher units are basically a C6 with OD and I still fear the weight and power sucking properties. So a AOD being more akin to a FMX with OD appeals to me.

Anyone running one with feedback?

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: AOD behind an FE?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:29:12 AM »
I think you are confused with the Aod and the E4od. The Aod was reworked to become the Aode electronically controlled version and that transmission got a pretty thorough redesign to become the 4R70w and later the 4R75w. The E4od is related to the C6 and could be considered and electronic controlled C6 with od. The AOD can be built up using many parts from the later electronic versions. But from my experience you may as well go with a later electronic version and a stand alone "black box" for control. The E4od was used in trucks exclusively while Aode and  4R70 and 75 versions got used in cars and 1/2 ton trucks. Like all the transmission options they are fairly expensive compared to rebuilding a C4 but built correctly they can handle a whole lot of engine. There are a couple of ways to adapt one to an FE. In Ford speak the 4R75w is rated at 750 newton meters which is about 553 ft-lbs of torque.

westcoastgalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »
Right you are, thanks for clearing that up. So yes I would like to try and steer clear of the E4OD/4R100 route.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
Just for info..a few years back I was at Kenne Bell talking to a tech that told me they usually fiqured to lose 50hp with an E4od in testing trucks on their chassis Dyno. That is above what they figured normal drive train losses with a manual trans.
I was able to talk to the gent who built my AOD and his answer to the torque capacity question was he felt from what he has experinced that the stock internals for a 4R70/75 could handle 600-650 ft-lbs if one used quality clutches and watched line pressures but should start lookin at a build with stronger shafts and other parts when pushing more than that. He also stated "Use od for cruising" it will not hold the high torque the first three gears will. I guess the "band " won't hold the drum at those torque levels.
The Aod was a pretty tight fit in my 1967 Fairlane but I did not have to beat up the floor to get it in there.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
I don't have any real world feedback with an AOD but I asked myself this same question some time ago.....
I was on the c6 + GV  versus Built AOD line of thought
Oddly when I did realistic math for this project, the cost was pretty much the same for either direction.  This assumes you are driving MY car at MY weight and HP.

The pros for an AOD:
-Built AOD is more efficient by far.
-Aod would most certainly be smaller and lighter, which is helpful in many ways
-For a stock FE up to 400hp, especially in a lightweight car a little edge in the cost department.

Cons for AOD:
-To make it stand 600-700hp (I like a worst case scenario) it would NOT be an AOD anymore.  Almost all custom parts or parts taken from a different transmission.  To repair anything on this transmission would be a BIG deal and a long wait for parts.  Nothing available "off the shelf" so to speak.  Once you build any real horsepower, the lockup option is no longer an option.
-Custom converter $$$
-Case needs to be milled and aftermarket bellhousing obtained.  Once again, having a case on hand that is a "specialty part"
-Custom headers *might* be required

Pros for C6+GV:
-Bullet proof combo, easily built to withstand any power I could toss at it for a minimal amount of effort.  (I mean, 2000hp drag week cars beat the snot out of a GV)
-All stock components for c6, available anywhere, obtained a few core transmissions for $100 each, so lotsa spare parts, spare cases, etc.  All off the shelf parts, including performance converters.
-Cheap available used parts
-Off the shelf headers, already designed for a c6 in my car

Cons for C6+GV:
-Heavy, inefficient (in comparison), and long as hell.....   

In the end, I scored a GV for cheap, rebuilt the c6 as a full roller to minimize efficiency losses, got a second hand, lightly used converter.  Whole project of c6+GV for me was under $2,000.  (This doesn't include driveshafts, fluids, and other things you'd need to use no matter what swap you did).  I build all of my own stuff, perhaps the results would vary if someone else did all the building and installing, I never did the math on that.

If an AOD is your cup o tea, do it!  be a pioneer, go read up on SilverFox's forum (well I think it is his, it is here:  http://www.clickclickracing.com/  ) as there is an absolute TON of info on the AOD in a performance application over there.

Anyway, good luck.
Drew
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:44:34 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
Good thread.  Any thoughts on how the 4R70/75 would compare?  The controller would be a cost adder.  I assume the AOD bell housing hurdle applies to the 4R70/75 as well?  Has anyone else done the math on total cost for potential transmission swaps behind an FE?  It would be pretty cool to see all the combos available with total swap costs figured.

westcoastgalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
Thanks Drew. Good info. All good things to consider.

As for cost I will likely be figuring that up so I will post up some estimates when I get there. Estimates based on buying new, I don't have the luck of finding good used parts.

westcoastgalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
Oh and I have test to see a 75 offered up. I am curious about that one as they are suppose to be stronger. Maybe folks are using internals in 70's instead?

Go to this thread over on the FE forum. Some companies offering package deals on these trannies.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1446082654/last-1446262867/View+Thread

westcoastgalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »
Oh and these guys offer options to. They have an adapter for AOD, cost is not listed for cutting off the bell but if memory serves me correctly it was less than $500. I plan on contacting them to see if they can do a 70 and what power levels they rate theirs for. 

http://www.broaderperformance.com/

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
As for cost I will likely be figuring that up so I will post up some estimates when I get there. Estimates based on buying new, I don't have the luck of finding good used parts.

I don't either, it takes weekly searching for years to get a good score.  I bought that GV originally with nothing to put it in.  I think it was on the shop floor for 5-6 years before I had the money to put it in the Galaxie. 

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
No personal experience, but I know a guy with one behind a 545" 385 series in a Fairlane. He bought it that way, but has had no problems. It was built by a company called FB Performance Tranmissions and his is rated for 900hp and 750tq with electric overdrive. They have another model, not available for the FE unfortunately, that claims to be good to 1200hp and 950tq. They aren't cheap though!

http://www.fbperformance.com/Ford-Transmissions/