Author Topic: Rod and Main Bearing Clearance Advice  (Read 1113 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Rod and Main Bearing Clearance Advice
« on: July 24, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
I need some advice.  I've torn my 428 down to fix some issues and upgrade a few things.  While I was in there, thought hell, why not just stick a new set of bearings in there while I've got it all apart. 

Most of the rod bearing clearances are coming out around 0.0025-.003 with a bore gauge, which I think is the ballpark of where I want to be.  However, I've got 3 rods where that clearance is down closer to .0015.  The rod journals on the crank are all very close in size, which leads me to think it's the rods and/or bearings (Clevite CB-760P-30).

What are my options for handling these which are too tight?  The crank is already 30 over, which I think means no undersized bearings, correct? 

Ok, now onto the mains.  All the mains are coming in at .0025.  On #1 however, it is sitting at .0015.  Again the main journals all are very close in size.  Run it at .0015 or should I do something?  These are Clevite MS863P-30 bearings.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Rod and Main Bearing Clearance Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
If you are confident with your measurements (no Plastigage, but using a bore mic), then a good crank grinder can dust a thou off of the offending journals.   With a crank that's been cut .030", you have no bearing choices to dial it in. 

I'd try and find out where the difference is though...if it's the journal, housing, or bearing thickness.  Typically, crank journals won't vary by more than .0002-.0003" after a regrind. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Rod and Main Bearing Clearance Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
Try to swap the bearings around

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it