Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 63068 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »
I'm used to your nit-picking, Doug ;D ;D

Good, so long as we're on the same page ;D

The one stop shopping for the breathers and caps is nice.
Any thoughts on producing a cap with a welded on bung for an evac system? Wait...if so, will you be welding them? ;D ;D (sorry, couldn't resist that one..lol)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »

Well, you started spelling FElony right, but then you got all misguided and screwed up the rest. Better luck next time.

Clear cover lids. Nifty idea. In the 70's there was a local that had a BBC with the valve covers completely made of some kind of clear poly. (His entire hood was, too). His experience was that every time the car was driven, a light film of oil dried on the inside of the covers. This built up quickly into a haze that was almost opaque. That material did not take kindly to his attempts at cleaning.

My readily ignored input here is that you may have to investigate coatings that are poly-friendly that can shed all oils, if there is such a thing. Testing is going to involve a lot of heat cycles in a daily driver.

Alternatively, you can make aluminum pieces to fasten there for driving use, and let the customer switch out for valvetrain inspection or car showiness. In any case, don't forget to have clear distributor caps made to match, because those are really boss and worth extra horsepower. Maybe a clear air cleaner lid, too. And quite possibly a clear

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
Just throwing this out there like a clay pigeon in a shooting range - what about PCV's?

You can buy a cover with no holes and drill it for a PCV valve, or buy one with a cap and drill the cap for the PCV.  Lots of options there...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
The one stop shopping for the breathers and caps is nice.
Any thoughts on producing a cap with a welded on bung for an evac system? Wait...if so, will you be welding them? ;D ;D (sorry, couldn't resist that one..lol)

I could machine a cap for a -12 AN fitting, which would hook up to an evac system.  Lots of possibilities there.  I can machine the caps for just about any insert...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
A thought, if it has not been mentioned, probably has and I missed it. Why not an oring seal to head?? I have used custom billet valve and box type intakes (150lbs boost) with the rope type oring or whatever the technical name is with excellent results.

Its sooo nice being able to pull a cover check things out, throw it back on with no concern of leakage and minimal mess. Outsider looking in but it seems the bottom gasket flange would give plenty of material.?

I suppose the variation in the head and the potential mismatch from head to intake would be an issue, maybe a thick type oring would help. Just throwing ideas. feel free to throw them out lol

BTW they look awesome!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:26:47 PM by BigBlueIron »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »

Well, you started spelling FElony right, but then you got all misguided and screwed up the rest. Better luck next time.

Sorry!  I'm not worthy  ;D

Clear cover lids. Nifty idea. In the 70's there was a local that had a BBC with the valve covers completely made of some kind of clear poly. (His entire hood was, too). His experience was that every time the car was driven, a light film of oil dried on the inside of the covers. This built up quickly into a haze that was almost opaque. That material did not take kindly to his attempts at cleaning.

My readily ignored input here is that you may have to investigate coatings that are poly-friendly that can shed all oils, if there is such a thing. Testing is going to involve a lot of heat cycles in a daily driver.

I've had a different experience with the polycarbonate (Lexan) valve covers that I vacuum formed and used on the dyno.  They don't seem to get any kind of coating on them.  However, any moisture quickly accumulates in the valve cover area and they look whitish and milky until the engine temp comes up enough to make the moisture evaporates.  Kind of makes you paranoid, like maybe you've got water in the oil, even when you don't.  I would expect the same issue with the clear tops.

Alternatively, you can make aluminum pieces to fasten there for driving use, and let the customer switch out for valvetrain inspection or car showiness. In any case, don't forget to have clear distributor caps made to match, because those are really boss and worth extra horsepower. Maybe a clear air cleaner lid, too. And quite possibly a clear

And quite possibly a clear... what?  Don't leave me in suspense.

I've already had a couple customers asking about an aluminum cover instead of polycarbonate.  I could certainly machine a billet aluminum cover, with fins even, to use in place of the polycarbonate.  However, I have the same concerns as stated earlier, about seal.  There is only room in the casting for five screws to hold the cover on.  To bridge some of those long distances with an O-ring seal might be problematic.  I have to test the cover first before I know that will work. 

I think the clear covers would go nicely with the clear distributor cap.  Then, a clear center cover on the intake adapter, and a clear cover on one of my timing covers.  Moving towards the visible V-8 engine, we are...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:42:58 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
A thought, if it has not been mentioned, probably has and I missed it. Why not an oring seal to head?? I have used custom billet valve and box type intakes (150lbs boost) with the rope type oring or whatever the technical name is with excellent results.

Its sooo nice being able to pull a cover check things out, throw it back on with no concern of leakage and minimal mess. Outsider looking in but it seems the bottom gasket flange would give plenty of material.?

I suppose the variation in the head and the potential mismatch from head to intake would be an issue, maybe a thick type oring would help. Just throwing ideas. feel free to throw them out lol

BTW they look awesome!

The joint between the intake and the head would be my concern; if there was any mismatch I don't think an O-ring would seal there.  Maybe I'll machine one for an O-ring as a test, just to try it out...
Jay Brown

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
The joint between the intake and the head would be my concern; if there was any mismatch I don't think an O-ring would seal there.  Maybe I'll machine one for an O-ring as a test, just to try it out...
[/quote]

*Cough Cough*  I happen to know a test dummy! And Ive got the perfect engine to test this on with a mismatch.. 

Worst case would be fill the machined groove with silicone and go back to regular gaskets.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
Just one suggestion, a link to a supplier of the breathers and caps would be nice when they're offered up for sale. I just ordered a CVR pump and fitting to go with your adapters and had to spend some time looking up the correct part numbers for the short and medium fittings for the pump inlet. A link in the add would be helpful to buyers.
I know, I know....I'm lazy... :)

Just wanted to add that... if I had actually READ the directions that were supplied with the adapters, before looking the parts up, I would have noticed that Jay had already included ALL the related part numbers, including hoses. Somebody get me a sock :P
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »
You know, I do spend a fair amount of time on the directions, trying to make installation of my parts as painless as possible.  You can lead a horse to water...  ;D
Jay Brown

FElony

« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:50 PM »
I've had a different experience with the polycarbonate (Lexan) valve covers that I vacuum formed and used on the dyno...

Dyno? Are you deef or sumpin'? Put that sucker out on the road where the engine ingests dirt and slow-moving pedestrians and such, where the oil gets dark and starts to break down. Not coddled in an anti-septic crib where you goo-goo talk it and teach it to use its fan as a fidget spinner. See what that LEXAN looks like after a few thousand miles of reality. You know, the state of being that I try to avoid at all costs.

If I'm wrong, then fine. Good for you, and you can call me any names you wish, as long as you don't send the goose after me. {shudder} If I'm right, one night you will hear your customers gathering for a hanging outside like a scene from Frankenstein. Instead of pitchforks and torches, though, they will be waving pieces of unclear polycarbonate rocker cover lids. Your choice.

And quite possibly a clear... what?  Don't leave me in suspense.

In the spirit of this transparent topic, I typed those next two paragraphs using invisible ink. To see what I wrote, which is really insightful and such, get your heat gun (blow dryer will suffice), and run it back and forth on your computer monitor. After it reaches a certain temp, the words will appear like magic. No, really. Don't you trust me?
I've already had a couple customers asking about an aluminum cover instead of polycarbonate.  I could certainly machine a billet aluminum cover, with fins even, to use in place of the polycarbonate.  However, I have the same concerns as stated earlier, about seal.  There is only room in the casting for five screws to hold the cover on.  To bridge some of those long distances with an O-ring seal might be problematic.  I have to test the cover first before I know that will work. 

Lemmee guess, you are going to test it on the DYNO! BWAHAHAHA!

I think the clear covers would go nicely with the clear distributor cap.  Then, a clear center cover on the intake adapter, and a clear cover on one of my timing covers.  Moving towards the visible V-8 engine, we are...

Speaking for the forum at large, I think all of us can appreciate getting drunk and going out to the garage, lifting the hood, firing the beast, and sitting there watching the little rotor-thingy going 'round and 'round for hours. Too mesmerized to remember to unzip yourself to leak all that beer? No problem, the airflow through the factory fan will dry your jeans in just a couple minutes. Ask me how I know.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
You could very well be right about the clear stuff, and in fact the lack of a few thousand street miles is why I haven't put my vacuum formed clear valve covers up for sale.  I should have them on the road in my 68 Mustang in a week or so, though.  If they hold up through the summer, then I will feel more confident in avoiding the lynch mob...
Jay Brown

68montclair

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
Jay, thanks so much for putting the work in on doing these valve covers. I got my name on the waiting list at back to the 50's (i'm the one that showed you the pics of my 390 that broke the timing gear off the cam lol). Didn't notice this thread until today, now i'm more pumped for the finished product!

FElony

« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
OK, where are the under-hood Go Pro videos of the clear covers zippin' down the road. Inquiring minds want to know.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2017, 08:53:37 PM »
Felony, you should know by now that any time I give a time estimate it should be multiplied  by a factor of 3 or 4.  I can't be trusted to hit a deadline, especially with my own vehicles.  In fact, it is somewhat miraculous that I've made it to Drag Week all these years.  I have no idea how I'm going to make it this year...

I am pretty close to driving my 68 Mustang (which I started as a 4 day weekend project over two years ago!), just waiting for a last minute fuel line fitting and a couple of ebay relays.  Should be driving this thing by Friday (translation - in 3 more weeks  ;D).  Pics below; I think they look pretty good on there.

Jay Brown