Author Topic: SINister EDition '66 Comet Caliente  (Read 25399 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: SINister EDition '66 Comet Caliente
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »
Definitely sounds like the noise is the affect of an older unit. The lockers I have used are pretty quiet, and the Soft Locker I have in my Mach is pretty much dead quiet except for the light ratcheting while turning. I don't hear a thing otherwise.

If you're going to try and break the Locker, I'm pretty sure something (everything) else will break first :)

I like your changes that you are doing. Looks like you are heading pretty much the same direction that I am on my Mach 1. I am planning on a Gear Vendors also, but that won't be till next year. It will be nice not to have to cruise at 3000-3500+rpm. Right now I avoid highways unless they are old highways that don't have much traffic, and interstates are out of the question. So what is your final drive ratio with the GV?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

SE2839

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »
Well perhaps my comment "try to break it" was a bit overstated and easily taken out of context. I will go out and enjoy the car (street & strip) and "if it breaks then it breaks" could have been a better way of stating my thoughts as I have no actual intentions of deliberately abusing all of my hard work or $$.  8)

The Gear Vendors is a great upgrade! I had intended to wait until next year as well but when I changed from 3.89s to 4.11s and given the fact that I am +30 miles from just about everything I decided to just take the hit and save on the wear & tear. Final drive in my case is 3.20-1 (4.11 x 0.78= 320.58). I took about a 200 mile road trip to Moonshine Il. yesterday, mixed driving on country back roads, some county highways and small bit on the interstate. My average speed was 62mph @ 27-2800rpm (75mph @ 3k on the interstate) with 26" tall ET Streets and I netted 12.5 mpg combined.

Also worthy of note, I took my GPS along and it verified that the speedometer is accurate so Kudos to the guys at G.V. I had been running the highest tooth count speedo gear and it was still off by just a few mph, recently my speedo had begun to tick and I was thinking the cable was going bad but when I had pulled the gear during the upgrade I found that most of the teeth were nearly worn off of the plastic gear within only a few thousand miles.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:49:25 AM by SE2839 »

TomP

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
The interior looks great! I have a 66 Caliente too, a convertible, and it needs all the interior which of course isn't reproduced like the Fairlane stuff.
 I also moved my springs like that but in a Convertible there isn't room to widen the wells because of the top mechanism. It still helps for room though.
 Can't use a GearVendors in a convert either, the extra crossbrace in the way.

On the Detroit Locker. Mine would scare the beejezus out of me at times. Have me checking the mirror to see what ran into me. But that is normal. A local shop always has used ones because customers get them installed, drive them and decide they want a normal limited slip.
 I like what you've done, should be a great ride.

SE2839

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Thank you Tom and Doug! The first Friday Fun Night of the season is this coming Friday so I am hoping that the rain will be taken out of the forecast so that I can test out what has been done to it so far as I haven't even begun the front suspension yet. There is no track prep on Fridays but I am still hoping for mid - low 7's in the 1/8 which should be quite an improvement over the 8.2's that I'd ran last year.

SE2839

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Well, the rain stayed away, the track was clean and the air was crisp! My ET's were unchanged and my top speed was down but the traction issues are no more and per the tower announcer and the track owner the Comet does now put air under the front tires. I am having an issue now with the trans not wanting to shift with the engine against the rev limiter at 6200 rpm unless I come off the throttle which I suspect contributed to the disappointing ET's and lower speed. I have the passing gear linkage set to be fully engaged when at full throttle so I will try readjusting it to be looser but I suspect that it is something else perhaps in the governor? I experimented with the Gear Vendor splitting first gear but with the trans not shifting correctly it did little good then on the way home it had occurred to me that I should have tried splitting second and perhaps been able to forego a shift into drive and the need to have let off the pedal that second time.
As a side note the staging guys were puzzled by the noises coming from the Detroit Locker each time that I pulled into the lanes but I am becoming a little more used to it and nothing broke.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Your going to need a paparazzi so we can see some air.  ::)
Since the C6 still sounds like an auto, have you tried letting it do it's own thing.
Sometimes you go faster, but not as kool launching.

SE2839

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
I am hoping that the track photographer did get a shot or two, I will know by Wednesday when they post pics from the prior weekend. It is still column shifted and is always left in Drive to do it's own thing. 8)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
Hmmm...
Maybe go the other way. Load the converter and shift using a light.
Actually a video of a run or two will help you a lot. You can watch all the things you cant see
when behind the wheel.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
Sounds like you actually made a BIG improvement from last year! Not shifting at the limiter and having to lift off the gas would KILL your ETs (and explain why your speed was down). So it sounds like once those issues are settled, you'll see that big improvement you were hoping for.

Wish I could help on the tranny issue (other than suggesting a manual ;)), but it's been over 25 years since I used to work at a transmission shop and I've forgotten most of what I knew. And even then we got about 100 Turbo 350 and 400s to every 1 Ford C4 or C6 ::).

Congratulations on getting rid of your traction issues though! Hopefully they got some pics.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

SE2839

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 08:01:49 PM »
Traction is good now, my 60' times were down considerably by 6/10's of a second on average at 1.60 - 1.70 and reviewing my old slips is far better than my memory as my top speed was not off by as much as I had first thought. In fact it was pretty consistent at around 82 mph and would like have likely been up a little had I not been forced to let off it to allow the trans to shift.

I put the car on the lift yesterday and backed off the passing gear linkage (too much) and no more issues with it not shifting at the limiter. After installing the new carpet I had initially set it up by wedging a 2x4 between the throttle and the drivers seat, I will need to have someone come and hold the throttle through the floor as I reset it to mimic what it will see at the track or when actually passing.

A nice period correct looking ratcheting floor shifter will be added some time down the line at which time I may begin to shift manually and I received a nice shift ball as part of the kit from Gear Vendors with a Mercury head emblem in it which is already wired up and used in place of the floor mounted dimmer that was also included. It has about three feet of wire as a tether so for the time being I can hold as I launch and just set it in the seat next to me when not needed or roll it under the seat while at car shows. Allowing the Gear Vendor to split first happens around 4K which is well inside my power band and while it may sound good in theory it is not ideal even with the lower gearing of the wide ratio trans where as splitting second gear manually does seem to make a lot of sense if done correctly at 5800 or so just before the trans would shift into third on its own at around 6K so long as I disengage it should a shift into third be needed. Timing will be key!

I am told that the track pics from the weekend should be posted late Tuesday night or Wednesday so I am looking forward to seeing just how much the front end does come up. From the drivers seat I could definitely tell the difference in how the car launched compared to before, there was little to no wheel spin, but I had no sense that the tires had left the pavement. Right now the front end is still all stock and the sway bar was left in place by the next track day I will have installed all of the parts from Open Tracker Racing, the Calvert drag shocks and removed the sway bar so I should have even better weight transfer.

I would like to get a Go Pro so I can get some footage to analyze and critic for areas to improve and there are plenty I am sure, it will take some practice to be consistent but I can see that 7's are definitely in my not too distant future.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:15:20 PM by SE2839 »

SE2839

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »
Pics are in! Probably not the best launch of the night, left lane had more traction, and a day time shot I am sure would be easier to make out but it is what it is and there does appear to be at least a bit of air under both front tires. That little Pontiac with a 4 cylinder turbo was deceptively quick yet I was a car or two ahead until it came time to shift and I had to let off the throttle. He had red lighted so I'd won the race but he did over take me at the finish line because of the trans issue. Launches were all very straight so now it is time to practice and tune and practice and tune some more.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:27:20 AM by SE2839 »

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
I think I'm seeing some air. Great Stuff!!! ;D
No helmet?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
Night racing tip...when getting air under the tires!

Take apiece of white tape, first aid stuff is best, and wrap a piece at exactly the 12 o'clock position on the steering wheel. Be sure that tape is exactly straight up when those wheels touch down. 
Bob Maag

SE2839

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
I think I'm seeing some air. Great Stuff!!! ;D
No helmet?

Helmets are not required in the Street Legal Series or at least not with my current times. Maybe if I dip below 7.50 then it may be? I'm not sure. I am fortunate to live in one of the few states that still permit you to ride a motorcycle without one as well, communistic in every other respect but that is another subject.

Thanx machoneman, White tape sounds like a very good tip! Especially given that from inside the car I had no idea that the tires had ever left the ground.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
I think when you start lifting the wheels, lids are required. jmo
It has a different "feel" with the helmet on also.