Author Topic: The big day!  (Read 26251 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: The big day!
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
Wade or Blair, are those FireWire plug wires with a chaffing sleeve put over the wire?
Some clay on the air cleaner top will give you the exact clearance that you have. And Wade, a hood hinge not dropping completely or being able to push down on it is a sign that it needs some lubrication. I'll bet a bit of oil or spray chain lube at the pivot points will make a big difference and not cause it to stay up.

Also, I radius the inside of those lower housings, and it helps with airflow transition into the carbs---no turbulence.  Joe-JDC.

Dang, it's the little things (now running out to get my air cleaner lid for my 2x4 :)))
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Doug,  that is the "sleeved" firewire.  I did not shrink the rubber seals on, just in case Wade wanted to trim the wires to reroute in the car.  Those are the universal set w/135 degree boots.  I really like them.  You can get them with or without the sleeves, but I figure they will last longer with the extra insulator.  Most "Cup" cars run them, and they seek out the best endurance parts...........
Blair Patrick

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
Yeah, those wires are bad to the bone, I like them a lot.  I need to go ahead and shrink the sleeves on since the current lengths are fine, I'm not going to do any cutting.

Also Doug, good call on the hinge lube.  The hood went up and down smooth before so I figured it was fine.  Shot some spray lithium grease around all the pivot points and she's super free now.  Does seem to be hitting just a tiny bit still so I'm going to have to round up that clay I have around here somewhere.
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
A little nicer video here since I got the header leaks taken care of and got a few bugs worked out.  I'm still going to fool with the idle some more.  Currently it's idling off the center carb and the ends are nearly shut off.  Blair had mentioned that it may idle better on all three so I'll write down my current settings and try it again with all three.

http://youtu.be/QdyDRExdRms
-Wade

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »
Sounds good, Wade. Seems you should be able to get that idle down a tad with some fooling.

Seeing how you've transformed this car from the beginning has been really cool. You have a super fine cruiser there now. So what's next? ;D ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
What next??

Oh I don't know, how about replace the AC pump (sorta Mooo's at certain rpm, sound like a wallowed bushing or bearing) Smaller crankshaft pulley, cross flow radiator, electric fan(s), gear reduction starter, better headers and all around exhaust upgrade...  Of course I can work on window seals and interior refurb any time amongst the other stuff  =)   Then after all that's done we can see about painting it again!  AND I still think sometimes about going back to an automatic, sheeze...

I used to never see how anyone could spend $80-100K on a car.  Well, I'm not getting there but I'm starting to see now how it can happen!

I'll be content to fool with the idle for the moment.  ;)
-Wade

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 04:06:10 AM »
Yeah, what are you running, dual 2.25inch exhaust?
I'm no expert, but I'd think with the new engine you'd wanna bump it up to 3 inch.

I know your mind well Wade (cuz I think the same way)
Once you start driving it and get comfortable with it, you'll figure out something that just NEEDS to be addressed :P
Least we are never bored and without a project, only ever short of cash.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 06:04:40 AM »
What next??

I used to never see how anyone could spend $80-100K on a car.  Well, I'm not getting there but I'm starting to see now how it can happen!

I'll be content to fool with the idle for the moment.  ;)

Looks and sounds great Wade, nice work all around.  I know exactly what you mean about how big bucks into a project could happen, so many cool ways to spend cash ;D.

Looks to me like it's time to drive and enjoy for a bit, recharge the batteries and then attack the next upgrade.  I for one do not believe it ever ends, it just gets a little better... 8) 
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick