Author Topic: Aviaid oil pan  (Read 3321 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Aviaid oil pan
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
Thinking about ordering an Aviaid 155-55416 oil pan.
I need to know if anyone has run one of these in a 63 Galaxie with headers.
Any problems?
Greg

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Aviaid oil pan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 01:08:35 PM »
I haven't ran that particular one, but I spent 2 hours the other day trying to get one of their Cobra pans on. 

Had to take a die grinder and move every single hole, then had to send the pickup back because they welded the tab on it backwards. 

The "sandwich" windage tray also bolts to the pickup and if things aren't aligned to the gnat's hair, it will move the tray around and make it a bear to line all the holes up.  I usually put studs in the timing cover and the rear main cap to keep everything lined up. 

I get a lot of Cobra customers and end up using those pans because they want something authentic looking.   Definitely not my favorite.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:46:11 PM »
I was advised not to run their pan on my '62. I have a friend that frequently uses their pans on continuation cobra's and he has stopped using them. Too many quality control issues, having to fix welds, bolt alignment issues like Brent had on his recent engine.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.
I guess I will have to go with a Canton or a Milodon.
Greg

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.
I guess I will have to go with a Canton or a Milodon.
Greg

Both of those would work very well. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 02:29:37 PM »
I used a Moroso on mine. Blair and I put a Canton side by side to it and realized that it's the same dang pan, just branded differently. I'd say look up Canton and Moroso and buy whichever one pops up cheaper.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »
I used a Moroso on mine. Blair and I put a Canton side by side to it and realized that it's the same dang pan, just branded differently. I'd say look up Canton and Moroso and buy whichever one pops up cheaper.

I used to use Moroso but after finding mig wire still stuck to the welds inside and just a lot of dirt/grit inside, I switched to Milodon.  Obviously you can clean whatever you buy, but you can take a Milodon pan, pull it out of the bag, put some lacquer thinner on a shop towel and wipe the inside, and your towel stays clean.  Canton is pretty clean as well. 

Canton has recently changed their coating.  Instead of zinc chromate, they are now doing a clear zinc finish.  Used to be gold, now they're natural looking.

I agree that most of the pans look alike.  Most of the pans are universal from the weld-line up, so you can finish them with any capacity. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 10:14:58 PM »
The quality of Aviaid was superlative at one time. I had connections at Triple E and availed myself of a test engine that had been built for an early GT40. It was a 289, included an Aviaid pan, and ended up in my Paxton-blown '65 1/2 Mustang. Everything was precisely where it should have been. I had to re-do the removable cross-brace under the engine to have it fit behind the 'bustle'. And I had to have the headers loose to get at one of the middle pan bolts on each side.

I have heard that quality has slipped a bit of late so the info shown above doesn't surprise me.

KS

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
Here's an option to avoid the quality quirks of the Aviaid pan.  Years back I told the fella that assembled my engine that I preferred the Armando pan.  The assembler pushed me toward the Aviaid pan because "...I don't have a business relationship with Armando."  I wish I had insisted on the Armando pan.

http://www.aroilpans.com/408.html

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
I used as Aviaid pan about 10 years ago.  I really liked it.  I did use studs for the installation.  That may have helped.  I did make a rookie mistake of over torquing the nuts and dimpling the pan rail.  After a little remediation, it was fine.  Plan on using one for my new build as well.  An good cobra replica practically demands one IMHO.

Phil

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 09:06:29 PM »
I've had some Aviaid pans that fit OK.  I have had some that needed some attention.  And I had one on a Pantera that was a solid 3/8 of an inch off from one side to another - the sump was welded on at an angle that was very visible.  Ended up having it sliced apart, trimmed and welded back together.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »
   Armando used to work for Aviad , but moved out of California ( Texas IIRC) He builds a very high quality pan using his decades of experience at Aviad. Moroso and Canton are rumored to be made offshore now. I have had some serious QC issues with them in the past.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
Gonna bookmark Armando’s page. Love it when guys have the balls to start up their own deal when they see the need.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 11:41:49 AM »
   I have had some serious QC issues with them in the past.

Yeah, always check for leakage before installation!      :o      But, then one could always install a "diaper"!       ::)

Scott.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »
Bookmarked, might have to call him on the Falcon should I try to figure out how to do a diaper or a pan.