Author Topic: Big-Sert replacement in Edlebrock heads. I am slightly canted forward. Remedy?  (Read 3093 times)

GerryP

• View Profile
Some days, the bear eats you, and some days, you eat the bear.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
Some days, the bear eats you, and some days, you eat the bear.
I honestly had started to prepare myself for the worst scenario. Head removal.  I had just spent three weeks working off an on to install factory air that I had spent the last year hunting down parts for and restoring them.  Because I elected to stay with R12 with the York compressor instead of the R134 being the R12 is about 25% colder.
I had a slight leak at the corners of the intake so I decided to deal with the intake before installing the compressor and brackets. That's what got me here.
Now to pull the evaporator box and change the heater core.  Never ending projects..
Thanks again for suggestions.

GerryP

• View Profile
My '67 Fairlane has factory air.  I changed over to 134 and kept the York compressor.  I flushed the system, had the dryer rebuilt and set up for 134.  I changed nothing else.  Same hoses, same expansion valve, same condenser, same evaporator.  Functions and cools just fine.
 I have no complaints.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
About 50 years ago, I tried to remove the bleeder screw on a '59 Austin Healey front caliper. (Cast iron) I broke off the bleeder screw and then tried to drill it out...

Then I did what I should have done in the first place. I was working at T&C Livonia and had friends in the tool room. I stuck the caliper in my pocket and went over to the plant. It was a Sunday night.

While I waited they did a 'Government Job' for me that required burning out the broken (hardened) EZ-Out, Drilling the location to take a piece of cold-rolled rod, sweat-brazing it in place, and re-machining the bleeder screw hole to take the new screw that I wanted in the first place. I went home, re-assembled the whole thing and drove the car to work the next morning. It's nice to have friends in the right place.

In the long run, you'll probably do less work if you pull the head and do the job right. (Unless you, too, have access to the tool room and...)

KS
For a time if I needed something done I put it on American flight outbound to Tulsa or volunteered to fly a aircraft for heavy maintenance to KTUL.
I had a friend who was the engine shop manager. He would take things over to the machine shop and usually done in a couple of hours.  Sadly, we no longer rebuild our own engines and I no longer have the access I did.  The best part of the day was German food at Seigi's sausage factory. Did I mention I love German food and there is little availability here so if I have a layover in Chitcago there is always good Italian and German to be had there.