Author Topic: solid roller cam selection  (Read 15994 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: solid roller cam selection
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 02:22:08 PM »
Prostituting :)  Sounds like those guys are having more fun with these builds than I am...  :o

Seriously though, there is no monopoly on information on these forums.  If someone is keeping a secret trick secret, there will be either 10 other tricks that will work too, or the "secret" trick really isn't and will come up anyway from someone else.

I bridge the worlds between making money and just fun, but I do think a builder's cam choice for a racer, as well as some other significant tricks in blueprinting, can be valid and worth paying for.  In the end, if the full-time vendors help right up to that line, then charge for the remaining, good on them.  It's capitalism

Additionally, I don't generally lump it in as free advertising either because the builders take their lumps like anyone else in a forum as well as use their time to respond.  It's dangerous for their reputation, it's not like it's one sided.  Additionally, time, coordination, the guts to try to feed yourself with an idea...all reasons to have something that keeps you unique.  Heck, I bought both Jay's and Barry's books, can't really say they should have just hung it here for free can we?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:24:07 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
Paulie, I think that's pretty closed-minded to think that I responded to posts with "email me" or "PM me" because I wanted to make a sale.  Like the others have mentioned, my time is worth something and quite often, I don't have time to sit down and type everything I could say in a 5 minute phone conversation.  I can type almost 90 words a minute, but I can talk much faster than that and it's easy to have a 2-way conversation on the phone. 

Regardless, you're more than welcome to stand alone in your opinion.....but I bet your opinion would change if you messed with this stuff for a living.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 03:01:22 PM »
the more info you disperse, the less you are worth. case in point; for 25 years I repaired televisions, & was damned good at it. RCA(remember them?) had a so called tech line for techs that were not too competent. If you had a tough dog, you called them & if they had the repair on file you knew exactly what to do for the repair. nice & easy, quick money. The tech line got to know me & started calling me for advise. Did I run into this or that? At first I would give em the fix & felt a little cocky, but all it was doing was taking my time & helping my competition. I figured why should I give somebody a 5 min. fix when I just spent 25 hours troubleshooting it. years & years of knowledge don't come cheap, you pay dearly for it while you're accumulating it. especially with the failures. sharing info in a hobby is all & good, that's why I am here. but the guys making a living at it deserve to be a little stingy with advise. flame away......
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
So, I'm definitely a bit sensitized to prostituting a public forum for monetary gain.

paulie

I'm actually pretty sensitive myself on that subject, Paulie; I hate being inundated with self-promoting posts.  In fact, I banned a vendor a while back because everything he posted seemed to be a veiled advertisement for his products.  But I don't see the regulars here doing that, at least not on a consistent basis.  Sending a PM, or asking to be emailed for a discussion, keeps that sort of thing off the forum.  I like that general approach.

Having said that, I'm probably the worst offender in this regard, even though I'm not a full time vendor.  I've put up posts about the process required to build my intake adapters, water pump adapters, timing covers, etc.  They are advertised for sale in the classifieds, but people learn about them in the regular forum section, which I admit is skirting the rules.  I rationalize that away because most of the things I post are not related to items that I sell, and I'd like to think that overall I don't come across here as just a salesman.  I certainly look at the posts from Barry, Blair, and Brent that way; they will freely offer advice and provide data on many topics where they have no hope of ever making a dime. 

Just wanted to let you know that I share your concerns, but my level of tolerance seems to be higher than yours  ;) - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

plovett

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
All good points, boys.  I'm not the sheriff.  I AM glad to simply bring up the subject every once in a while.  I don't care if doing so gets me punched in the junk.  I'm still glad.  Carry on......   :)

JMO,

paulie

edit:  Oh yeah, I have bought both Jay's and Barry's books.   I have also bought from parts from Brent and Barry and left them good feedback. I'm trying to give Adney $1400-$1500, but he won't take it just yet.  ::)  I will spend my money and not regret it.  My money is not the issue.  It's about the internet and why we're here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:49:38 PM by plovett »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »
Prostituting :)  Sounds like those guys are having more fun with these builds than I am...  :o

LMAO!! For sure!

Having said that, I'm probably the worst offender in this regard, even though I'm not a full time vendor. 

But often you are seeking feedback which leads to an improved product. We all win when that happens, so maybe the moderator will cut you some slack ::)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Hey Paul, I promise to never punch you in the "junk"....ever......lol.   I think I'll keep my comments light-hearted.........bickering has almost ruined the other Forum........where we all came from, including Jay..........we should all enjoy each other, even if some guys see things different than others from time to time.........we still are all here because we are FE people.  We should say what we think and move along and be happy. 
Blair Patrick

plovett

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
All right, all right, I love everybody!  I'm a big jerk, and I love everybody!  I'd rather be "punched in the junk" than feel all this emotion.  At least when you get "punched in the junk", it's over in a minute.  I'm sorry for all the pain I've caused. 

Would somebody actually come visit me and punch me in the junk?   I'll do anything to make this stop.  I have beer.....and chips......

paulie

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »
I have beer.....and chips......

Homebrew I suspect?   8) Relax... have a homebrew!

I'm thirsty but you live too far away...  It's all good!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

plovett

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
I have beer.....and chips......

Homebrew I suspect?   8) Relax... have a homebrew!

I'm thirsty but you live too far away...  It's all good!

Man.  I haven't home-brewed in years.  I do need to do that.  Thanks for the reminder.   I still stand behind all I said, though.  You talking about homebrew has nothing to do with it. 

I may start a batch of my Thor's Hammer barley-wine  in the next week or two.

paulie

Tommy-T

• View Profile
Gosh Paulie!
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
I'm with you!

I think Blair, Barry, Brent, Kieth, Rob McQ, and anybody else who can should tell me how to put this junk together for free...cuz I'm too damn dumb to figure it out myself. ::)

They should all pitch in and buy me a block and heads too.

Don't be surprised if I show up on yer doorstep to punch you in the junk. Just ask Thor...I didn't punch him or anything...but I did make him give me the grand tour!

Any brew will do.

plovett

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
Hey Paul, I promise to never punch you in the "junk"....ever......lol.   I think I'll keep my comments light-hearted.........bickering has almost ruined the other Forum........where we all came from, including Jay..........we should all enjoy each other, even if some guys see things different than others from time to time.........we still are all here because we are FE people.  We should say what we think and move along and be happy.

Thanks Blair.  I'm not backing away from my initial comment at all, but you're obviously a good guy.  We all know that you know at least 1000x more about FE's than I do.  That was never the issue.  That won't stop me from figuratively "punching you in the junk" on occasion.  I really wish we lived in a different age where we were all face to face, rather than interacting with keyboards.  If you ever need anything let me know.  I'll take care of it.

edit:  Also Blair, usually when a little guy challenges a big guy on the internet.  The usual response of the big guy is to threaten to leave and not post on this forum anymore, unless he is shown the proper respect (then all his little cronies come to his defense).  You didn't do that.  I respect THAT. 

I also respect Jay for not taking the usual knee-jerk reaction.  I love this place.  I'll go away for a while now.   I like tech, too.  :)

Have a good one,

paulie
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:26:15 AM by plovett »

plovett

Re: Gosh Paulie!
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
I'm with you!

I think Blair, Barry, Brent, Kieth, Rob McQ, and anybody else who can should tell me how to put this junk together for free...cuz I'm too damn dumb to figure it out myself. ::)

They should all pitch in and buy me a block and heads too.

Don't be surprised if I show up on yer doorstep to punch you in the junk. Just ask Thor...I didn't punch him or anything...but I did make him give me the grand tour!

Any brew will do.

I think you're speaking in hyperbole, Tommy.  But in any case you're welcome to come see me.  I have strong feelings about the use and value of of the internet, that's for sure.  Don't take this as a challenge, but rather as an offering.  Come see me. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:28:11 PM by plovett »

plovett

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2015, 06:50:31 AM »
After all this, I hope fekbmax will let us know what cam he picked and how it worked out.  Sounds like an interesting combo.

JMO,

paulie