Author Topic: New engine burns oil  (Read 3460 times)

mammyjammer

• View Profile
New engine burns oil
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
I finally have my fresh 428 fired up and it runs great, but smokes like crazy after it hits about 190 or so.
I broke the hyd tappet cam in for 10 mins, repaired a fuel leak and broke it in for 15 minutes more and it never got past 175. The Right Stuff oozed out of the back of the intake at 25 minutes of run time and I called it a day.
This week, I replaced the intake gaskets with Edelbrock gaskets and used the GM sealant for the end seals and yesterday I took it for a ride to break in the rings. I followed the Hastings procedure of slow down to 30mph and punch it 50 mph 10 times. Everything went well, so I took it for ride. Temp got to 190 and all hell broke loose. The kind of blue smoke you can taste started pouring out of the left side.
 Pulled the plugs an they all look good except number 6, which is oily, but still firing.
 The intake,heads and block were all working together fine the last time they were bolted together and no machine work was performed that would change anything.
Compression tested 130-150 with number 6 being the highest cylinder!
Vacuum is steady
Pulled the valve cover and rockers and did a visual on the intake gasket on number 6 and it looks good,but I can't see the bottom of it.
Today I warmed up to 180,retorqued the intake and took it for a ride. It is mild in Reno right now so it took about 20 minutes to get it up to 190 and then all hell broke loose again. It seems to smoke more at idle then at speed.
I'm at a loss what the heck is wrong with it,any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:00:31 PM by mammyjammer »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: New engine burns oil
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
Number 6 is reading high on compression because of the oil.
Number 6 is one of the ones with the rocker oil feed passage above the port.
What heads are you running?
On some heads its pretty easy to use too long a rocker bolt and break through into the roof of the port.
If you do this it'll smoke like a locomotive.
Use Teflon TAPE - not paste - on that bolt after cleaning up the threads and the hole with brake cleaner.
Just might fix you up.
Don't ask how I learned this.....

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
Thank's Barry,
Im running C6AER heads.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »
I wont ask how you learned it Barry but I will be sticking that one in my memory banks....Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:15:39 AM »
Less likely on factory heads.  Unless you've done some porting up on the roof.  Lots of guys completely remove that casting bump up there & find out that it was not the best thing they'd ever done.  Are your heads modified at all?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
Another good reason to use rocker studs.... 

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
I clean up the ports, but did not take much material out of them.Ill pull the # 6  rocker bolt and take a look, at this point I'm willing to try anything!