Author Topic: Shocks for 67 Cyclone  (Read 4364 times)

mlcraven

• View Profile
Shocks for 67 Cyclone
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
Hello. Sorry, this isn't a sexy engine question but something much more mundane.

During the revival of the 67 Cyclone new rear leaf springs replaced the tired/sagging/broken units.  With the car now fully re-assembled, interior installed and full tank of gas, it sits right and I like the stance.  Issue is, I've installed the rear shocks picked up at O'Reilly's and, with the car sitting on the ground they are at absolute max extension, which certainly doesn't seem right.  The shocks are stock Monroe service replacements for 66-67 Fairlane/Comet with big block engine.   

Car is equipped with 9-in limited slip, 3:1 ratio, no suspension mods and intended for street cruising and road trips to events.  I'm not looking for a super-whamodyne shock with a bazillion degrees of adjustability.  Nor do I need a concours d'elegance NOS replacements. Simply something that does the job, is durable and delivers decent ride quality. 

I'm puzzled and seek input and advice, in partic specific brands and part numbers that have worked for other folks.

Michael
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:35:40 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Shocks for 67 Cyclone
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:51 AM »
KYB's, they have a pretty good reach are reasonably priced and have a firm bounce.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kyb-kg5517/overview/year/1967/make/ford/model/fairlane

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
Shock extentions  may save you a few bucks:   http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shock-extensions

I think this has become a more common issue with older rides. I'll venture the too short shock syndrome is a result of low sales volumes (hey, guess how many 50 year old leaf spring Ford shocks are sold in a year?) and a re-class of more popular/modern shock part numbers into a older car where the fit is 'close'. Way too close in your case.
Bob Maag

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
I agree with Bob, most shock companies have just consolidated all our applications to one universal shock, often times for a Mustang. I ran into this for my Cougar. Although the Mustang and Cougar use similar suspension the Cougar has longer leaf springs. But Cougar specific shocks have been obsolete for years. Add that to the "stance" that we like isn't really how the cars came when they were new and you get shocks that are too short. I don't have a specific part for you, what you may have to do is take some measurements of where you're at now and fiqure what you'd like. Most major shock catalogs have a section with the extension and compression measurements. Find something in your measurement range with the same mounting ( post/post ). Even if you don't buy that brand of shock you can use the application you find. When I did my search for shocks for my Cougar it was an Asian pickup truck that turned out to be the best match.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys...this forum is the best.  The explanations make a lot of sense.  Per ScotiaFE's recommendation I'm going to give the KYBs a try.
Michael

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
On second thought, going to try the shock extensions (something I previously didn't know existed) first; if no joy then go the new shock route.

Thanks again.

Michael
Michael