Author Topic: Barn find Genesis  (Read 6492 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Barn find Genesis
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
 A few weeks ago I was out for a cruise in my truck and stopped for gas. A guy comes up and asks to look under the hood. Sure man, pop the hood. So he's oooohing and ahhhhing while I finish at the pump. He tells me he knows a bit about the FE and knows a guy that I should talk to that has FE parts for sale. Oh yea? (Oh BS was the first thing I thought)  He gives me a name and phone number. And after several calls I get a hold of the guy with the parts.  It's funny to me how you can talk to a hotrod guy and he knows a guy who's friends with his uncle's brother and he has FE parts for sale. Anyhow, to make a long story short, this guy had a overseas container in his back yard that was stuffed with FE parts. No joke! And in the middle of this pot of gold I found a new Genesis iron block for a VERY right price.
He told me a story of putting down a deposit with Genesis for an aluminum block back in 2002. But after two years he was still waiting for his block. Sounds familiar huh? Lol So he finally had to settle for an iron block instead as a refund was out of the question.

It seems odd to me they did half of the machining for the relief valve but didn't finish it. The relief valve hole is about an inch and a half deep and isn't connected to anything. I Know this aspect has been talked about all over the FE forums for years but this is the first Genesis I've ever seen in person. Seems like Howies block has a blank boss sticking out with no drilling or tapping at all. That makes sense to me.

The main caps look to be the cast variety. The main cap bolts look straight out of the local hardware store. Has anybody ever built a running engine using these bolts?

I've read that some guys have had to hone some of the lifter bores on these blocks. I'll be double checking everything I guess.

I even got the guys original packing list. It has a serial number on it too, GEN0137. Does anybody know when it may have been originally made? Seems early on in the Genesis venture.

Even came with a sonic map from Genesis. Look at the meaty cylinder walls. Wow!

I can't describe how excited I am. I've been doing all kinds of side jobs for the past six months. So I can build a new motor. To actually have the funds handy when a good deal comes along is rare for me. The stars have aligned I guess.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:04:07 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Barn find Genesis
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
Nice score!  Wonder why the parts were in a shipping container?  Was it just a spare the guy had laying around, or did he actually ship the parts in from somewhere?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
Nice score!  Wonder why the parts were in a shipping container?  Was it just a spare the guy had laying around, or did he actually ship the parts in from somewhere?

The guy used the container as a storage unit. He had about 5 or 6 containers lined up in a row actually. Each unit had shelves lining both sides. One unit with FE parts. One with Harley Davidson parts. One with an A/C Cobra kit car (with an all aluminum 482!) and piles of road racing tires mounted on knock off wheels. One was made into a mobile welding unit. I lost track of all he showed me. My head was spinning! Lol He also had a White 63 Gal with a beautiful flame job on a lift in his shop. He was a super cool FE guy.
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »
Nice!!!
Jealousy meter pegged. :)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:13 AM »
That's a pretty early block going by the lifter valley casting and the main caps.  Those are cast caps without the "pull hole".  They did OK on mild builds.  When they added the "pull hole" in the center (which was done after customer request) the cast caps would fracture right there.  I still have a few of those caps as spares.

The low dollar bolts work just fine as long as you have good thread engagement - I usually went to ARP studs or bolts - but I honestly have never failed a main fastener other than having threads pull on old blocks.  Later versions with the billet caps are a better deal, and upgrading to billet caps is a very good idea for anything with power.

Nice score.

plovett

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:03:31 AM »
Wow!  That's neat.  I am jealous, too.

The sonic map is great to have.  What's the bore on the block as it is?  I can't quite see it in your sonic map pic.  I'm curious how far one of those blocks can be bore with say a .125" wall left in the thinnest place.

thanks,

paulie

Ratbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
Dang Kevin, that's amazing! You just happen to be at the gas pump at the same time as "a guy who knows a guy". That's good fortune!
There's a guy here in the Albuquerque area, (Rio Rancho) who has a huge metal barn full of FE parts. I haven't seen it, but when I talked to him years ago he even had a couple of dozen toploaders. Every kind of head imaginable, factory cast headers, quad and 3 duce intakes - dozens of each. Trouble was, he just wanted to brag about them. When I asked him how much he wanted for different pieces his prices were outrageous.
Where about in Colorado are you at? I'm in Northern NM, Los Alamos.

Dave J   
1959 T-bird - rat kind of a thing
FE 410ci bored .030 over, 4 sp toploader
pure fun

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
Very Kool!
Yup that's an early one. Barry should know, he had the first one.  :D
I have all the spec's, drawings and even a template to finish machine the relief valve if you want.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
"Talkers" and sellers who never sell! These usually end up badly and rather than getting cold hard cash to spend on other stuff (vacations, grandkids, mortgage payoff, you name it) the fellow passes away and the kids, unknowingly, call a salvage yard to haul that old junk away! Yikes.

Seen it happen or heard about real incidents from my gearhead pals too many times. In fact, while few scrap whole cars in good shape often a hobby car with sheet metal missing or stripped (awaiting the rebuild that never happens) does get squeezed in the junkyard after a $200 scrap  metal sale. Spare parts are usually the ones that hit the road in a dumpster or dump truck and the new owners (kids) get zero dollars since they know nothing of the value of engine blocks and parts of yore. Oh well.  :(

Dang Kevin, that's amazing! You just happen to be at the gas pump at the same time as "a guy who knows a guy". That's good fortune!
There's a guy here in the Albuquerque area, (Rio Rancho) who has a huge metal barn full of FE parts. I haven't seen it, but when I talked to him years ago he even had a couple of dozen toploaders. Every kind of head imaginable, factory cast headers, quad and 3 duce intakes - dozens of each. Trouble was, he just wanted to brag about them. When I asked him how much he wanted for different pieces his prices were outrageous.

Dave J
Bob Maag

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »
  What's the bore on the block as it is? 

thanks,

paulie

It measures 4.240.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »

Dave J

I'm in western Colorado. Outside of Grand Junction. As the crow flies were not to far from each other.
Kevin McCullah

plovett

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
  What's the bore on the block as it is? 

thanks,

paulie

It measures 4.240.

Thanks!  It looks like a 4.40" max bore is not out of the question.  Very nice find!

paulie