FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2012

August 18, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012

<< < (2/3) > >>

65er:
After all the setup and testing done I wouldn't touch the motor.   I'd definitely see if I couldn't fit one of these things into my vision of how it should look... http://www.amazon.com/Mota-Performance-A10171-Dual-Scoop/dp/B002ZMR4SC

Maybe paint it and the hood matte black or charcoal grey or something?

Cyclone03:
Not that it matters...LOL.

Stay with the as Dyno'd set up installed. You dont have time to change that package now.

As for the hood scoop. Does the engine HAVE to be covered by rule? If not fab up the "shakerish" scoop as is and let the TB's show under it and track test.

jayb:
So after giving this some more thought last night and this morning, I concluded (like many of the responses above suggested) that I had to stick with the combination as it is rather than try to change intakes.  I also concluded that I didn't want to try to stretch the hood scoop down so that it extended all the way to the hood, so I needed to make some kind of platform that raised the center portion of the hood, so that the scoop would extend down to it abut 3" or so.  Doing this from scratch would have been the best way, but of course there's no time for that, so I went looking for a hood scoop that I could modify and make work.  I was initially thinking of one of those old two piece pro stock style scoops, but I ended up finding this on the Summit web site:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSE-950-72112/

It's just about the right height, but I may have to trim it a little.  Looks like on top there is a fairly flat surface that will function as a nice platform for the shaker scoop.  And since nearly the whole hood is flat black, I'm hoping that the lump created by this scoop will be as unobtrusive as possible.

So at least I've got a plan now.  I spent the day working on getting the Mach 1 assembled.  Joel came over to help this afternoon, and we pretty much got done with everything under the car, and now are working on the engine compartment.  There is quite a bit to do there to make the conversion from the supercharged engine to the high riser, and I'm guessing this will take most of the week.  However, I think I can get the car running by next weekend, since I have extra time to work on it while waiting for my SOHC heads to get welded up and finished at the machine shop.  Hopefully that happens ASAP; we'll see what happens.  I'll post another update next weekend.

machoneman:
Good move methinks on sticking with the program....current intake and all. Like the scoop resolution as well.

But, and perhaps I missed this earlier, will you run at the track with that Mach 1 scoop? I 'm trying to wrap my head around how small that front opening is, assuming it's the stock size, versus the cfm requirements of your monster FE and come up short.  There is a formula I used long ago to help some pals out on scoop sizing but.......

On edit: went digging on the 'Web and found it:

http://racecarbook.com/articles/airscoopsize.shtml

jayb:
Thanks for the link, that is very interesting stuff.  The idea for the shaker scoop is to slice it and make it taller, to increase the size of the scoop opening.  My formula for this was much simpler than the one shown in the link, I just wanted to have the total area of the throttle butterflies in the throttle bodies be the same as the total area of the scoop opening.  This is right about 30 square inches.  The scoop is about 10" wide, so I was going to section it so that it would be about 3" tall, and get my 30 square inches that way.

I plugged my numbers into the formula shown in the link, using 1050 cfm for the engine's air requirement, and got positive pressure in the scoop at 57 MPH, which is about the same as their IHRA pro stock example.  If I remained with the stock scoop opening, the MPH for positive pressure goes up to 171 MPH.  I'll never see that in this car LOL!  Going to a 30 square inch opening is probably pretty close to where I need to be...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version